Modern 15inch drivers vs Altecs & Tannoys

I remember reading that one of the biggest reasons for these older drivers having a cult following is the fact that they use AlNiCo magnets - the modern drivers use ferrite, and there is a world of difference. I would probably not even consider a Ferrite driver for a vintage system. If you go vintage, go full vintage, and knowing your preference is for full restoration to Resto modding, You're better off with proper vintage stuff.

I remember you were hunting for some Vintage Jap speakers (Pioneer HPM series if I recall - any update on that?)

was looking out for the Pioneer HPM 100 or the Technics SB7000A speakers, have dropped the idea as they are hard to come by in good condition.

Reubensm listens to a lot of other stuff too, other than metal and trance. He will need a speaker which can do reasonable justice to all kinds of music. More of an all rounder

Yes, here are my listening tastes through the years:

Born 1971
0-1 yr - don't remember
1-3 yrs - anything dad used to play that sounded musical
3-7 yrs - lot of instrumental music, elvis, pink floyd, the doors, eagles, etc
7-12yrs - Boney M, Abba, Tina Charles, Biddu, Village People and other Disco stuff
12-15yrs - Eurodance Music
15-23yrs - Glam Metal
23-35yrs - Glam Metal, Thrash Metal, Speed Metal and anything hard and heavy
36-present - All types of music from the Western World and Bollywood (very recently)

Yes, here are my listening tastes through the years:

Born 1971
0-1 yr - don't remember
1-3 yrs - anything dad used to play that sounded musical
3-7 yrs - lot of instrumental music, elvis, pink floyd, the doors, eagles, etc
7-12yrs - Boney M, Abba, Tina Charles, Biddu, Village People and other Disco stuff
12-15yrs - Eurodance Music
15-23yrs - Glam Metal
23-35yrs - Glam Metal, Thrash Metal, Speed Metal and anything hard and heavy
36-present - All types of music from the Western World and Bollywood (very recently)

:eek:hyeah: Sir, you forgot to mention about lullaby :clapping:

Apart from it, What is the right word to use something like discography ?? to represent the music preference since childhood

:eek:hyeah: Sir, you forgot to mention about lullaby :clapping:

Apart from it, What is the right word to use something like discography ?? to represent the music preference since childhood

yes, nice one, forgot that :lol:

I remember as a little boy (1-3 yrs), Uncle Max' Nursery Rhymes was a favourite of mine.

very curious to know, are these Beymas? if not a problem, kindly post a pic.

11887_488019664635450_129585609_n.jpg

These are now with a friend in Delhi.

Last edited:
11887_488019664635450_129585609_n.jpg

These are now with a friend in Delhi.

Looks brilliant and so classy. Its a corner horn design I suppose. What is the size specs of the mid-range driver (assuming its one) and which driver is it? Did you build the cross-over or are you using any specific brand/type?

Yes its physically Time-aligned. The resultant sensitivity is 98dB owing to pro-drivers. It is highly efficient.

Sorry for the dumb question but as these speaks are high efficiency ones, what is the normal amp wattage required? Would a 10 watt push-pull arrangement drive them?

Most vintage tables have limited bass extension. Most of them may be in the 40 hz range.
From my research on cabinets for my Tannoys I've learnt that in right cabinets, the Tannoys go as low as 30 Hz. Not sure of other drivers.
I've been brought up to believe that the bigger the magnet, the better the bass reproduction and power handling, not sure again.
Bigger magnets have higher magnetic flux higher the magnetic power, lower would be the compliance and lower would be the distortion. However, it takes more power to make the speaker coil to vibrate through it.

Maybe the magnets of today are more powerful and efficient when compared to magnets of the 1950s and 1960s.

They didn't have neodymium magnets back then; only Ferrous and Alnico and hey say the latter sounded the best.

Sorry for the dumb question but as these speaks are high efficiency ones, what is the normal amp wattage required? Would a 10 watt push-pull arrangement drive them?

Yes they are high efficiency ones only. 98dB sensitivity points to that only. 10 Watt amp will drive them sufficiently. But my personal liking is different from typical home audio user hence I used around 900W of total per channel.

I think pro-audio or vintage drivers like the Tannoy and Altec would be fantastic for rock and metal. However, they may need help to cover the bass 'drops' in trance, trip-hop etc,. A couple of 15" sealed subs should cover that part real nice...

Hello Friends ,

Today only i came across this interesting thread,
i wish to bring to your information a very practical thread .Beyond the Ariel - diyAudio .
started by Lynn Olson to assemble a High efficiancy speaker system with HF horn,and has inputs by various speaker designers and hobbysists regarding different drivers and has 11000+ posts,it is must read for hobbysist.

i am following it up to build something similar with inputs from martin of azurahorn,Lynn olson and Dave.

it will give you a discussion of various drivers .and even visioners can input with their experience.

Thanks & Regards

mekr

If any one wants to buy Vintage designs with modern production run,

There are Altecs available from GPA and hartleys with alinico magnets

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back