Modern 15inch drivers vs Altecs & Tannoys

It is about as different to a retail hifi "in a box" as could be. For numerous reasons, it is an approach that is not for everyone. Rajiv is not only dedicated to using these drivers, but also to a philosophy of driving high-efficiency speakers with low-power [tube] amplifiers.

One could take any given system and say, "why buy that, when the other sounds as good?" There's no the way. But Rajiv's way sure sounds good!

Thad, wish you had taken some pics

Click the thumbnails for poor, grainy Moto Defy+ pics!

Here is a better quality picture clicked by one of the forum members. IIRC it was iaudio.

Rajivssetup_zps2686fecc.jpg

Of course, there have been some changes.

A compression Tweeter has been added.

Thorens & Linn changed places (from Attic to the rack and vice versa)

PS Audio DAC and some old but superb transport, the name I cannot remember now. :eek:

Not sure of other changes.

Last edited:
Click the thumbnails for poor, grainy Moto Defy+ pics!

Here are some from my Moto. Slightly less grainy, but I managed to sneak a few close ups while he was busy :D

I had the privilege of listening to his setup when I had gone to collect some cassettes he was giving away. I still cannot believe that music could sound so sweet and lush.

I would have loved to get a second session, but being a recovering audioholic, who is just getting a handle on his upgrades, I've decided the best way to manage tempation is to avoid it. Still, a few pics can't hurt :)

Rajiv's Setup - Imgur

Last edited:
...PS Audio DAC and some old but superb transport, the name I cannot remember now. :eek:...

If it's the one in the linked picture, it's a Rega Apollo (or a Saturn). It also looks like the Luxman was brought out to play, how did it sound? Good to see that Rajiv's upgraded the audiophile footers for his Garrard...:D

If it's the one in the linked picture, it's a Rega Apollo (or a Saturn).
The transport can be seen in the pictures posted by Thad. The Rega was neither there at the time pic posted by me was shot nor is it available at the time that we've auditioned.
It also looks like the Luxman was brought out to play, how did it sound?

Noo, it is too powerful to drive the Altecs. Of course I did hear to the Luxman when it was hooked up to vintage RS xxx. It sounded superb.

Tannoy Ardens . very vintage,very dirty, very sweet.Dont have either the guts or the heart to clean the surrounds.

Attachments

• Picture 028-001.jpg
    Picture 028-001.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 105
Hi,

Tannoy Ardens . very vintage,very dirty, very sweet.

The Tannoy HPD's are very good drivers.

Dont have either the guts or the heart to clean the surrounds.

The drivers seem to have had their surrounds changed with non original surrounds.

You can get original Tannoy surrounds from these guys.

http://www.speakerbits.com/index.ph...entric-speaker-refoam-instructions&Itemid=114

Official Speaker Repair Site - Orange County Speaker - Home of GLS Audio Tannoy 15" Speaker Repair Re-Edge Foam Kit for HPD385

Alternatively you could recone them with the new hard edge cones and convert them to Golds/Prestige range spec drivers. this option costs $$$$$$.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

The Tannoy HPD's are very good drivers.

The drivers seem to have had their surrounds changed with non original surrounds.

You can get original Tannoy surrounds from these guys.

Tannoy 12 and 15 HPD / DC 315 / 385 refoam instructions

Official Speaker Repair Site - Orange County Speaker - Home of GLS Audio Tannoy 15" Speaker Repair Re-Edge Foam Kit for HPD385

Alternatively you could recone them with the new hard edge cones and convert them to Golds/Prestige range spec drivers. this option costs $$$$$$.

Regards
Rajiv
hi Rajiv, yes i thought of that too. way back i found this site -http://www.simplyspeakers.com/tannoy-speaker-foam-edge-repair-kit-fsk-14tan.html. but the sound isnt degraded in ANY way , so i thought i'd leave it. reconing might actually make it worse if not done by the right guys. i know i DEFINITELY cant !

Built a JE labs open baffle center channel using an Altec 605a driver. Still a W.I.P and I tried a simple crossover which is wiring a 1 mfd paper in oil cap on the tweeter. This is what Yamamoto has done on his YS-605 speaker using the same driver and was pleasantly surprised at his genius and the superb drivers that these Altecs are :)

cd40c914e0f6d495c02e737613a3684b_zpsb83f3420.jpg

Santhosh, kindly sync up with Sri. He has apparently tried out open baffle before going in for his present cabinet which reported to have given him the best results. Also, I'm keen to see how our home grown amp fares with that of Don Allen.

who has the Don Allen amp? I would love to hear it someday

Hi Prem,

There is this guy who is not on our forum. He has a longish name beginning with Sri but prefers to be addressed by the prefix. He is the one I had picked up the cabinets from for my Tannoys. He is packing his bags to go back to US and in all probability taking them with him.

He is deep into audio and has been there and done that; Mark Levinson, B&W Nautilus and what not. He now swears by his Altecs and 2A3 amp.

Ping me if you want to chat up with him and I'll provide his contact details; It will be pleasure talking to him, I'm sure.

Built a JE labs open baffle center channel using an Altec 605a driver. Still a W.I.P and I tried a simple crossover which is wiring a 1 mfd paper in oil cap on the tweeter. This is what Yamamoto has done on his YS-605 speaker using the same driver and was pleasantly surprised at his genius and the superb drivers that these Altecs are :)

Welcome to the club! Please post a comparo between your A7 and OB if you dont mind.

cd40c914e0f6d495c02e737613a3684b_zpsb83f3420.jpg

Nice work Santhosh (hearing from you after quite a bit, trust all's well), I really like Raj's and your open baffle design. I am seriously considering this philosophy for my next speaker project. Have a question for you, from experience, have you noticed that open baffle speakers need to be driven more, when compared to speakers in a closed baffle?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back