Musings over a soundbar.

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38504

Thinking of getting a good quality soundbar.

Requirements are :

1. Subwoofer
2. Options to connect atleast 3 sources namely Tata sky HD box, PS4, and my nvidia shield.
3. Purely movie watching. No music.
4. Music system will be a separate system (def tech bookshelves through a Marantz SR6009 which I own currently).

Why? Wife wants a more modern and aesthetic looking home. I’m looking for a good setup wherein I don’t have to compromise too much on the sound for movies. I like watching all marvel and DC movies. So I like a lil bit of effect. Hence a decently powerful soundbar should do.

My budget is around 50k.

Looking for some guidance and advice. Thank you.

I have the Yamaha YAS-107 which I got after seeing some realistic reviews on crutchfield about the YAS-207. I am not after subwoofer sound and only low footprint. It seems that the YAS-207 has a noticeable dip in the frequency response between the subwoofer and the soundbar which effect the dialogue (while watching news / tv shows). When you decide for a subwoofer model ensure that it works as you want it to be (demo is a must).

Here are some more Derek....

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/polk-a...gital-amplifier-black/6163804.p?skuId=6163804

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jbl-ci...gital-amplifier-black/5706009.p?skuId=5706009

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-2...gital-amplifier-black/5766600.p?skuId=5766600

Key thing to bear in mind....most sound bars frequency range start from 35/40hz till 20/22khz.....so if this is purely for movies...especially the action ones etc....you need to ensure that you get a soundbar with sub which can go more lower....that will enhance and give you the required satisfaction using it.

You may not get a soundbar with more than 3 inputs....these can vary between brands and models....HDMI or Optical or Analog.....USB port is optional....

Would advise based on budget to see which models / brands satisfy you in performance...better to carry a familiar movie content which will be the deciding factor......make a shortlist of the brands and models which you like and we can guide you further.....

All the best

Thinking of getting a good quality soundbar.

Requirements are :

1. Subwoofer
2. Options to connect atleast 3 sources namely Tata sky HD box, PS4, and my nvidia shield.
3. Purely movie watching. No music.
4. Music system will be a separate system (def tech bookshelves through a Marantz SR6009 which I own currently).

Why? Wife wants a more modern and aesthetic looking home. I’m looking for a good setup wherein I don’t have to compromise too much on the sound for movies. I like watching all marvel and DC movies. So I like a lil bit of effect. Hence a decently powerful soundbar should do.

My budget is around 50k.

Though i can understand the need for soundbar, getting a quality one for 50K will be with lot of limitations IMO.. They have limited HDMI inputs, often come with wired/wireless sub-woofer, most of them passive & may not provide the same oomph as a budget one..

I would suggest you to consider an entry level AVR + 2/3.1 set-up.. (Sat + Sub), which provide with at-least 4 HDMI inputs, something like Polk OWM5, which have shallow depth, wall mountable, tiltable and take less space, complemented with a very good active subwoofer.. This will be far more convincing than soundbar for the price.. Movies would precisely be decoded & LFE (sub) played as it should be..

Thanks Elango, most of the new soundbars sound pretty good and they have 3 HDMI which is what I need. Wife wants aesthetics and not a home theatre and less clutter in the house. I’m also quite ok with what she says actually. I’m not a audiophile on any level, u know me haha. Remember what I told u last night on compromise lol

@efernand1 , thanks again mate. I’m going through the jbl series as I type. The Polk look interesting too. Thanks again.

Thanks Elango, most of the new soundbars sound pretty good and they have 3 HDMI which is what I need. Wife wants aesthetics and not a home theatre and less clutter in the house. I’m also quite ok with what she says actually. I’m not a audiophile on any level, u know me haha. Remember what I told u last night on compromise lol

Cool.. perfectly fine buddy.. If you have Yamaha Music Square in your city, try to drop in & they might have some models on display.. Consider models that have subwoofer pre-out, similar feature that you find on AVR.. Which allows you to add an active subwoofer..

They might also have some older models on discounted price.. Grab theam if it meets all your requirements..

The Philips Fidelio series is a good option as you can have true surround effect with its detachable wireless module.
Its subwoofer is also quite good.
Do give it an audition.

The Yamaha YSP series is also brilliant

What's your room like? Soundbars like symmetrical walls since they work on reflection of sound.
soundbar.jpg

It's open on one end into a balcony and the other end as u can see.

Screenshot_20180301-145402.jpg

So reflections are out except for the back wall maybe. Best if you could try out before buying.

Room is more T shaped......Entrance from Left side....Balcony on right side and dining area at the bottom....regardless....soundbar will first (as in cinemas) throw sound straight to the listening area......a powerful sub is required to compensate the openness.....

I didn’t. I went and bought a power amp. But I have a lg SJ5 brand new for sale.

Recently I have audition Polk Magnifi MX soundbar and the one from Yamaha soundbar may be 107/207 don't know the model number. But I am very much impressed with the Polk in terms of sound quality, clearity and features. It has wire less subwoofer and surround speakers . Subwoofer is more than enough for 120 sqft room size. In term sound quality it is far better than Yamaha. I have decided to have one for self in future. Before buying anything please make sure to audition Polk Magnifi soundbar.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back