My first Sub...My first DIY

ShaQ.Blogs

I have been exploring the option of buying a sub for quite a while now, but was not sure what I would get from a sub cos the few subs I heard, I wasn't very happy (Velodyne, SVS, Polk, PSB). Either they were boomy and not tight or not enough power or long listening was straining or very expensive to get something like a Rythmik over.
So I put my sub shopping on hold.

I bumped into some DIY threads and i was suggested this route multiple times here at HiFivision. I thought I might try and explore and see how much I would spend going DIY. The build part came to only about 3 grand. But the driver was the risk since Importing a Dayton Reference or TC Sounds or Shiva (if still available) and then if it dosent work out I might lose a bit.
At the same time a friend of mine suggested to go DIY with a Infinity driver available here in India. The catch was that it was a car driver. Since it wasnt very expensive and I heard really good stuff about this one, I took the plunge since I felt I could sell it here in India at a reduced cost if it dosent work out. Risk was low.

My build is a dual opposed sealed music first sub. Going deep was not of priority. Tight and punchy for music was my goal. Spoke to Santosh and flash from Pune. Santosh was quite some help since he lived right here in Bangalore. I visited his place and checked his Shiva build. I then commenced mine, got a carpenter and while there were very small minor issues in carpentry, the finished product was really good. I made 3 subs and am using 2. Aesthetic finishing is still remaining, paint work. Not sure what to go with.

The driver is a 12" Infinity Reference 1260W. Its limitation is that, it has a limited XMax, so it's well suited upto medium sized rooms. Its strength is that it is very musical and its dead cheap. It performs as well as a TC Sounds epic within its designed limits (XMax).
The subs are passive subs. I am driving them with a Crown XLS 1500. The drivers in each sub are connected in parallel demanding about 600W in total @ 2ohms which matches really well with the Crown which delivers about 775W @ 2ohm.

The subs pound really well and I felt they are really musical (my room has issues though and creates some noise :(). I could be mistaken about how the sub sounds since am not an expert like some of you guys here. :)

Here are pics of the build. Still some more work to be done.

Some suggestions on what kind of finishing to go with would be helpful. I am currently xploring gloss finish - not sure how to achieve it though :D.

Last edited:
shaq.blogs, Congrats for going the DIY way! Checking out the pics as of now. How did you work out the particular design for the enclosure for this driver? Did you design from scratch or adapt some existing design?

Congrats ShaQ, build looks good. Please share the cost of the driver.

Will drop by one of these days - most likely with a friend who also is considering going in for 2 or more DIY subs for his large 14 x 24 room. He stays near your house.

How did you work out the particular design for the enclosure for this driver? Did you design from scratch or adapt some existing design?
Used an existing design. Not gonna experiment with *my money* :D, especially considering this my first build

Congrats ShaQ, build looks good. Please share the cost of the driver.

Will drop by one of these days - most likely with a friend who also is considering going in for 2 or more DIY subs for his large 14 x 24 room. He stays near your house.
You are most welcome. Others are welcome too.

Good first project. Where did you get the Crown amp from?
Crown i got for about 25.6K, apparently prices are higher now. Bhagwati electronics at Basaveshwanagar. He also deals with Beheringer, and many others. But dont go Beheringer way cos they dont have a service center. I was suggested the same at Bhagwati.
To get to Bhagwati from West of Chord Road, come down Modi Hospital road and at Shankar Matt signal turn left. Continue until you come across petrol bunks on the left. Watch out for Axis Bank ATM on the left. Opposite to it there is a small road (easy to miss), it's located in that small road on the right. (There is a 4 small lane junction *just after this easy to miss road*)

Drivers 9K for 2 at Final Touch. They are available at about 8.5K @ JC road, but since I got all my stuff earlier from Final Touch I choose him so I can go back without much worry in case of issues. And guys when you bargain dont go and tell that You gave him at this price I want at this price. Bargain and tell him that I am getting at so and so price at this shop.

My 2 subs totally came to about 23K - 24K so far. Finishing is remaining.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back