My LivingRoom cum TheaterRoom cum ListeningRoom :)

cmsajith

I had started my LivingRoom cum TheaterRoom cum ListeningRoom construction sometime back and its almost 75% done.

Roomsize: 16' x 11' 6" x 9' 6" (L x W x H)

Equipments List:
Optoma HD20 Projector & Draper 115" Screen
Philips 47PFL9541 LCD
Emotiva UMC-1 Pre-Processor \ Quad 909 PowerAmp \ Onkyo TSR606 (surrounds)
Speakers : ATC SCM 40
Subwoofer : 15" Dayton Reference in THT LP loaded horn from BillFitzmaurice (Tuba HT) : Construction under progress

Accessories:
- RoalOak genuine leather Recliners
- Samsung 1.5T AC

Acoustics Plan:

Materials used:
- 20mm thick woodwool board and 600gsm Synth.
- Acoustic transparent cloth for covering all the acoustic surfaces.
- Anutone Fabric stretch channels for getting sharp edges.
- DIY QRD diffusers (future plan)

Front Wall: Will be covered with WoodWool board with 1 layer Synth inside with the frame depth of 2". There are some niches as part of the design. The LCD will be hanged on the bracket for which a 4 layer of marine ply are joined together to cover the depth of the frame and fixed to the wall using anchor bolts (Hope this is enough to hold a 50-60kg LCD)

Leftside Wall: Will be covered with WoodWool board with 2 layer Synth inside with the frame depth of 2". The window on this wall is being closed with openable upper portion and those openable doors will be double sealed with neoprene rubber. The acoustic boards will cover the fixed area along with the wall which includes the 1st and 2nd reflection points. (2 layer synth for 1st and 1 layer for 2nd reflection points). These will be fully hidden behind the window curtain (which will be bigger than the actual window).
Equipment rack comes at the left side wall. The front portion frame depth will be 4" with 4 layers of synth and woodwool board which will be acting as a bass trap. The front face of all th bass traps will be covered with a thin layer of pvc sheet to reflect the mid / high freqs.

Rightside Wall: Will be covered with WoodWool board with 2 layer Synth inside with the frame depth of 2". The acoustic boards will cover the wall at 1st and 2nd reflection points. (2 layer synth for 1st and 1 layer for 2nd reflection points). The boards will be part of a small wall unit which can hold CDs/Vinyls.

Backside Wall: Will be covered with WoodWool board with 4 layer Synth inside with the frame depth of 4". Will be trying out the possibility of the QRD diffusers inside a few cells, but hidden inside, everything will look same from outside. Window will be fully closed.

Ceiling: Will be covered with WoodWool board with 2 layer Synth inside with the frame depth of 2" at the 1st reflection points and the rest with POP and mood lighting. The design will be similar to the false ceiligs in other rooms.

Floor: Wooden floor with thick carpet at the first reflection points. Also there will not be any hard surfaced center tables, instead there will be 2 square stools with fully fabric covered with Synth stuffed inside and on top it will have cushions which can be used for both sitting as well as center tables.
The cables will be running through the channels inside the floor, they are visible in some pics.

Also the passage can be closed using folding doors that are acousticaly treated to make the living room as a dedicated theater room. In normal case those doors will be part of the wall and will be part of the room design.
Niches in the passage corners are for experimenting panel traps after a RoomEq.

Room Layout Plan
*Room Layout Plan*
livingroomq.gif

*OverAll Plan*:
layoutz.gif

*Reflection points simulation:*
frpj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Following are the construction photos:

Blame HTC for the poor quality pictures:)

FrontWall:
imag0202y.jpg

Closeup of the screenhide:
Center box channel is for the screen and the backside channel is for the black velvet dropdown
imag0189k.jpg

imag0195t.jpg

imag0190s.jpg

Folding Doors
imag0205a.jpg

imag0207rh.jpg

FullyClosed (Not able to rotate the pic, sorry)
imag0210o.jpg

Left side Wall with inbuilt bass trap
imag0204h.jpg

Left side window
imag0200j.jpg

imag0237sz.jpg

Right side wall
imag0239q.jpg

Backside wall with bass traps inbuilt and Entrance door
imag0199b.jpg

Ceiling
imag0203vx.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. Thanks for the detailed pics during the construction. I am sure it will inspire lots of people.

Is this a complete DIY or have you hired any professional consultant ...???

Nice stuff.

Good to see your progress, else, I thought you had given up on it.

So you have moved from Quad's to ATC, how has the progress been?

wow! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Sajith, your talent as an interior designer shows through :)

For those who don't know...our friend here is a interior design hobbyist too!

This is the place close to my home right? :licklips:

@Parithosh, Sudhir, Narendra, Malvai.. Thankyou for the encouragement. Will be posting more photos based on the progress.

@Sudir, Its really a long jump from the Quad 22L2, but ATC is asking me to rob as much banks as possible as Caiman DAC is showing its deficency to keep up with ATCs.

@Narendra, Yes, my apartment is almost 3-4kms from yours. Thankyou for your compliment. I had commercialized my interior designing hobby more than a year back and completed 6-7 projects.

Back