Need help in building a home theater system

echadha

Hi Guys - this is my first post. I am planning to build a home theater system and have a lot of questions in mind. I know some of them might have been answered in other threads, so pardon me if i am creating dupes:

Question 1: I am planning to get an AV receiver from US. I am getting Denon AVR-1613 for 305 USD and Yamaha RX-V573 for 380 USD. Which one is better for the price. Since I want to keep the price to a minimum, please suggest which one is better value. I dont mind spending 380 on Yamaha if it is actually worth it. My primary purpose for this system is to listen to music.

Question 2: Since I am buying them US (amazon), would they work fine in Indian electricity conditions. US has 120 volts and India has 220-240 volts, do you think that'll be am issue. I can't find these details on amazon from where I am buying this.

Question 3. After reading a few threads on this site it is clear that floor standing speakers are better for listening to music. Did I get that right?
As it is very difficult to carry floor standing ones, can someone suggest equally good ones that can be carried easily to India? Price difference is so significant that I am strongly inclined to get the speakers as well from US. Can someone suggest a good speaker set? Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 is available for 190 USD, how are these speakers?

Question 4: What is the typical power consumption by these AV receivers and 5.1/Floor standing speaker?

Question 5: Is it a must to have a woofer if I am buying 2 floor standing speakers? Or does a good pair of floor standing speakers not need a woofer?

Please help me out.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Guys - this is my first post. I am planning to build a home theater system and have a lot of questions in mind. I know some of them might have been answered in other threads, so pardon me if i am creating dupes:

Question 1: I am planning to get an AV receiver from US. I am getting Denon AVR-1613 for 305 USD and Yamaha RX-V573 for 380 USD. Which one is better for the price. Since I want to keep the price to a minimum, please suggest which one is better value. I dont mind spending 380 on Yamaha if it is actually worth it. My primary purpose for this system is to listen to music.

Question 2: Since I am buying them US (amazon), would they work fine in Indian electricity conditions. US has 120 volts and India has 220-240 volts, do you think that'll be am issue. I can't find these details on amazon from where I am buying this.

Question 3. After reading a few threads on this site it is clear that floor standing speakers are better for listening to music. Did I get that right?
As it is very difficult to carry floor standing ones, can someone suggest equally good ones that can be carried easily to India? Price difference is so significant that I am strongly inclined to get the speakers as well from US. Can someone suggest a good speaker set? Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 is available for 190 USD, how are these speakers?

Question 4: What is the typical power consumption by these AV receivers and 5.1/Floor standing speaker?

Question 5: Is it a must to have a woofer if I am buying 2 floor standing speakers? Or does a good pair of floor standing speakers not need a woofer?

Please help me out.

Thanks!

1. If your primary use is music listening then go for Yamaha. 573 is a good model. Demo it in US before your purchase. But I would advise you other way. For music listening you should go stereo way. a good CD player, a stereo amplifier and speakers as per your choice would give amazing results.

2. You'll have to buy step down converter for you to use US model in India so that it runs on Indian voltage. You'll get it easily in India.

3. Again sound is a subjective each. RM6750 is a satellite speakers package. You have lots of other brands like wharfedale, Boston Acoustics, Definitive, Energy, Klipsch, Mission etc. These all brands have 5.1 packages

4. Please go through the online manual for power consumption for the particular model.

5. If you want it for listening music then you don't need sub woofer. A good pair of FS is enough to give you feel. You'll feel the need of sub woofer whlie watching movies. Centre and sub woofer, they are the heart of movie watching experience.

1. If your primary use is music listening then go for Yamaha. 573 is a good model. Demo it in US before your purchase. But I would advise you other way. For music listening you should go stereo way. a good CD player, a stereo amplifier and speakers as per your choice would give amazing results.

2. You'll have to buy step down converter for you to use US model in India so that it runs on Indian voltage. You'll get it easily in India.

3. Again sound is a subjective each. RM6750 is a satellite speakers package. You have lots of other brands like wharfedale, Boston Acoustics, Definitive, Energy, Klipsch, Mission etc. These all brands have 5.1 packages

4. Please go through the online manual for power consumption for the particular model.

5. If you want it for listening music then you don't need sub woofer. A good pair of FS is enough to give you feel. You'll feel the need of sub woofer whlie watching movies. Centre and sub woofer, they are the heart of movie watching experience.

Thanks for the quick reply.

1. Yes, i thought about it. But then concluded that it'll be better to buy something scalable. Eventually I might plug in my PS3/tata sky with it. And cost wise other way round was more expensive.

5. Any suggestions for FS?

Thanks for the quick reply.

1. Yes, i thought about it. But then concluded that it'll be better to buy something scalable. Eventually I might plug in my PS3/tata sky with it. And cost wise other way round was more expensive.

5. Any suggestions for FS?

what is your budget? I mean for FS / 5.1 package. For FS you can go for wharfedale, Dali, Energy, Paradigm etc. If interested in used gear then check out the corresponding forum in hifivision( for sale by owner).

schadha

I ALWAYS recommend a sub-both for 2 channel and HT. Once you have it you will enjoy it and will never go back-but hey that's me!

With weight and dimension restrictions it's not going to be easy to get a pair of floor standers across in checked in luggage, though in a container it's easy. Consider Onkyo products as well, they are god, though I cant recommend a specific model.

Audition the products in US and then buy in India.

Advantages-
better and continuing support from the dealer.
no need to pay for customs/duty and the extra weight
no issues with power supply
after converting the currency at present rates, the NOS/demo models with some dealers might come out to be a good deal.

I also feel that for music a good floor-stander doesn't need a subwoofer but for movies subwoofer does enhance the experience.
(I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.7, if they interest you.)

Last edited:
220 volt receivers are available at samstores.com. you can purchase online in the US. Since you are likely to upgrade in future go with models have have pre-outs so that you could add a power amp later. speakers are a personal choice which you need to audition before you buy. i would suggest that you go with book shelf speakers that can be got from the US and add a good subwoofer which you could buy in India

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back