Need Help Selecting An Integrated Stereo Amp

sachmm

Dear FMs,
I am a noob when it comes to stereo amps. I need help selecting a stereo int amp for my speakers. I have Adam Audio's MK3 Pencil for the FS which are rated at 200W @ 4 Ohm.

My budget is about 50-60k. Please advise.
Rgds,
Sachin

Sachin,
Just to get the process going:
1.The Integrated Audiolab advertised at HIFI Mart is a little above your limit, but is a wonderful all round amp. Much more than a starter amp, it frees you in your choice of speakers considerably. However its been many years since I heard it.
2. Another integrated which I heard more recently is the Xindak. Its very good, and available from its distributor in Mysore.
3. The third amp which I would recommend strongly and based on hearing at some length is the big Usher integrated, with ARN systems. All these are in the 60-70 K bracket.

Each of these are made in China and solid State. I have not heard any tube amps in this price range, although they are no doubt there.

Happy hunting

I have Adam Audio's MK3 Pencil for the FS which are rated at 200W @ 4 Ohm.

Rgds,
Sachin

As per rating of the speaker(4ohm, 89db), you need high current amp. May be amps suggested by FM soundbuff fall into this category, so proper audition is required. Carry your speaker for the audition.

Cheers
dheeraj

Sachin,
Just to get the process going:
1.The Integrated Audiolab advertised at HIFI Mart is a little above your limit, but is a wonderful all round amp. Much more than a starter amp, it frees you in your choice of speakers considerably. However its been many years since I heard it.
2. Another integrated which I heard more recently is the Xindak. Its very good, and available from its distributor in Mysore.
3. The third amp which I would recommend strongly and based on hearing at some length is the big Usher integrated, with ARN systems. All these are in the 60-70 K bracket.

Each of these are made in China and solid State. I have not heard any tube amps in this price range, although they are no doubt there.

Happy hunting

Hello Soundbuff, thanks for your suggestions. I checked on the net the suggestions you have provided and noticed the Audiolabs is 60w and Xindak is 30w. These look nice but are'nt these underpowered?
Also I could not find the Usher, do you have a link where I could buy in India?

Hello there......

Speaker and Amplifier matching is very critical to get the optimum sound. Get the combo right, and you are in heaven; get it wrong and you will hate both. Two speakers that look like a good pair on paper may not really sound good together.

The best way to figure out whether an amplifier works for you is to try a home audition with your speakers in your room (the environment also plays a big role in the equation). Since you are based in b'lore, you may be able to get a home audition from some of the dealers there.

Another option is to invite yourself to some of the forum member's places in your region to head and understand different amplifier sounds. This will help you take a more informed decision if the 'home audition' process does not work out.

Best,
APK

Dear FMs,
I am a noob when it comes to stereo amps. I need help selecting a stereo int amp for my speakers. I have Adam Audio's MK3 Pencil for the FS which are rated at 200W @ 4 Ohm.

Rgds,
Sachin

Anything that can source 20-25A of instantaneous current is a good start (more the better but also pricey; extra headroom at amp). The rest is up to your ears and budget.
Check the amp's spec for the max current it can source at 4 ohms. You may be able to find independent corroboration in reviews too.
Audition is a must though; do not buy blind.

Marantz 7000/8000 series are in the 20-25A range; may come within your budget.

Cheers,
Raghu

HelloSachin,
From my experience the Audiolab and the Usher should be fine. The Usher is a hundred odd watts and would drive your speakers very well. However there is no proof but in tasting the pudding: so audition!

Contact Sridhar / Odyssey of ARN who should be able to get you an audition. He is a forum member and a friendly and supportive dealer.

Best wishes

Just for clarification, if I am not mistaken the Xindak SS model which gives out 30 Watts operates in class A. I have never seen or heard this. I have heard two other more conventional models operating in class AB, their entry level one producing 80 Watts and a slights higher hybrid integrated producing some 100 watts. Either of them should be fine even with a 4 Ohm speaker, and probably fall in the price range being looked at. However I have heard xindak only briefly so do not make too much of my experience. The Usher however I have stayed with for a longer period and tried them out with Proac tablettes.
Best

As per rating of the speaker(4ohm, 89db), you need high current amp. May be amps suggested by FM soundbuff fall into this category, so proper audition is required. Carry your speaker for the audition.

Cheers
dheeraj

Hi Dheeraj,
Thanks for the reply. Carrying speakers is not an option as I dont want to take a risk with these speakers cos they are heavy each at about 25kg and they are gloss finished.

rgds,
sachin

Just for clarification, if I am not mistaken the Xindak SS model which gives out 30 Watts operates in class A. I have never seen or heard this. I have heard two other more conventional models operating in class AB, their entry level one producing 80 Watts and a slights higher hybrid integrated producing some 100 watts. Either of them should be fine even with a 4 Ohm speaker, and probably fall in the price range being looked at. However I have heard xindak only briefly so do not make too much of my experience. The Usher however I have stayed with for a longer period and tried them out with Proac tablettes.
Best

Hi Soundbuff,
Contaced Xindac. Got the details about price from Mr.Nag from Xindac as below:MT 3 (II) - Rs 73,500
MT3 (W) -Rs 79000
MT 2 - Rs 46,000
Cant audition as I am currently in Japan and here I have auditioned a few from some popular brands which I liked too. Details in my post below.
Regards,
Sachin

I went to Yodobashi Akiba today in Tokyo and had a chance to audition some of the integrated amps here. I have mentioned them along with their prices in Yen.
1 JPY is roughly 0.6 INR including the forex charges. So most of these are within my budget except only for the Onkyos.

Had done some research on Onkyo 9070 and 9000r before going. 9000r has good reviews on the net. 9070 has very few reviews but all of them have praised it.

I dont have a very well trained ears to tell the difference between these amps in detail. However I know that any amp with a 2.1 setup will easily sound better than my AVR when it comes to music.

I listened to most of these but concentrated more on the Onkyos and the Yamaha because of the price factor. Between the two Onkyos 9000r and 9070 I was'nt able to tell any difference as they sounded identical. I also did a real-time instant switching during the audition between these two amps using the amp selector. The speakers connected were Wharfedale Diamond 240 towers. These are 4 ohm speakers,I tried to bring a similarity as mine are also 4 ohm speakers. The 9000r has USB dac whereas the 9070 doesn't.

Then I auditioned Marantz 8005 next, liked the sound too but didn't find very different from above. But got to know that this provides just 100W in 4 ohms so lost interest.

Next I auditioned the Yamaha A-S801. This sounded as good as the Onkyos did. It provides 170W per channel at 4 ohm and it has USB DAC too. I read reviews on the net and the S801 has been received well. Liked the classic clean looks like from 70s-80s very much.

Audioholics review: Yamaha A-S801 Integrated Amplifier Review | Audioholics

Buyer Opinions from Crutchfield Yamaha A-S801 (Silver) Stereo integrated amplifier with built-in DAC at Crutchfield.com

List of the Integrated Amps I auditioned/looked at
Denon PMA1500RESP - 78,730 yen
Denon PMA2000RESP - 99,800 yen (Demo piece) new- 149,040 yen
Marantz PM8005 - 95,860 yen
Yamaha A-S801 (with USB DAC)- 70,750 yen
Onkyo A 9000R-S (with USB DAC)- 156,000 yen
Onlyo A9070R -S (with DAC but no USB i/p)- 148,000 yen.

After auditioning most of the above amps I could'nt tell one from the other, probably because I am not a seasoned audiophile and also could be because of the noisy environment of the showroom. Now I am totally confused and lost! The only sane thing I could say now is that Yamaha is the most value of money and performs equally well.

FMs your opinions and advise are highly valued.
Regards,
Sachin

Last edited:
Yamaha A-S801 (with USB DAC)- 70,750 yen

After auditioning most of the above amps I could'nt tell one from the other, probably because I am not a seasoned audiophile and also could be because of the noisy environment of the showroom. Now I am totally confused and lost! The only sane thing I could say now is that Yamaha is the most value of money and performs equally well.

FMs your opinions and advise are highly valued.
Regards,
Sachin

Yamaha A-S801 seems to be healthily spec'ed and nicely featured at its price point. According to Audioholics measurements, this unit can belt out some serious current at 4 ohm load.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hello Buxx, thanks for the suggestion. Have you auditioned it or have any experience with it then plz share. Is it available in Bangalore?
Regards,
Sachin

I have heard it paired with a Wharfedale, Monitor Audio & Sonodyne in Delhi .
It just sounds terrific.
Another time I went to the same showroom and they had paired these speakers with a Marantz and sounded completely different.; and not in a good way.
Not sure abt availability in Bangalore.

You might want to consider a power amp instead of an integrated. It will cost significantly lower too, and will deliver a lot more current and wattage to your speakers.

Emotiva ships directly to India (XPA-200): https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-200

You can use the preout from your AVR to feed it into the power amp. That way, you can still use your AVR to control volume, switch sources etc.

You might want to consider a power amp instead of an integrated. It will cost significantly lower too, and will deliver a lot more current and wattage to your speakers.

Emotiva ships directly to India (XPA-200): https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-200

You can use the preout from your AVR to feed it into the power amp. That way, you can still use your AVR to control volume, switch sources etc.

Hello asliarun, this is a totally different approach which you have suggested and I like it! It had never occurred to be me or rather I must say I was not aware of this option.
I see that I can use all my input options which are currently connected to my AVR like PS4, Minix Neo Android box, my videocon d2h etc! And I can expand in the future to 5.1 with the surrounds for watching movies.

But I have a question about SQ. How does it get affected if the AVR per-amp out are used? Please let me know.

Hello asliarun, this is a totally different approach which you have suggested and I like it! It had never occurred to be me or rather I must say I was not aware of this option.
I see that I can use all my input options which are currently connected to my AVR like PS4, Minix Neo Android box, my videocon d2h etc! And I can expand in the future to 5.1 with the surrounds for watching movies.

But I have a question about SQ. How does it get affected if the AVR per-amp out are used? Please let me know.

Check if the AVR has front L/R pre-out. AFAIK, it does not.
Cheers,
Raghu

Slight detour here@aslia
Since i am looking for an amp, can u suggest a cost effective pre amp for XPA 200. I can get both from USA.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back