New acquisition - EMT 950 turntable

anilva

Recently imported EMT 950 Direct Drive turntable from Germany. Beast of a machine, build solidly weighing 70 kgs. Has built in MC preamp with transformer. Currently using a DL-103 mounted in a EMT headshell. Need to soon upgrade to TSD 15 cartridge to get the EMT 'house' sound.

This system has zero WAF factor.

Cheers.

Attachments

• P1000111-001.jpg
    P1000111-001.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 409
  • P1000112-001.jpg
    P1000112-001.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 401
  • P1000113-001.jpg
    P1000113-001.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 401
  • P1000115-001.jpg
    P1000115-001.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 404
  • P1000116-001.jpg
    P1000116-001.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 404
Wow Anil. Do post your experience with this !
WOW > WAF as long as the W is not in the room :) ..and this is the unofficial stance

Anilva, is it a vintage player? It seems to has all the controls are the type of modern time 'feather touch!' I think, only deserving records to be played and in that way we may give the full respect to the machine. Take care the treasure.
Listen Music Proudly.
Cheers.

Hi Anil,

Congratulations.

That is one impressive looking TT.

Anil, you are well and truly No.#1 when it comes to turntables on this forum.

He is the Indian Stefano Pasini.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
Customs??
The getting-past experience, elucidate please. Have my eyes on a number of 'used' procurements. Need some encouragements to commence!

wow! congrats! you are quite the TT exotica collector :clapping::clapping::clapping:

The TT look reminds me of the crypto machines from the spy movies of the 60s and 70s :D

Congrats on a wonderful acquisition.

When you have time to listen some, do give us your impressions, especially how it differs from your 938 (if at all there's a difference).

Congratulations! Great looking stuff.

As ghatgepatil asked, did you face any problem with customs?
Recently got worried about people mentioning that customs officers are not allowing to import old electronics!

Last edited:
Wow. That's one TT I have not been able to get my hands on. Congrats Anil. I hope I will get a chance to hear it the next time I am in Bangalore

Thanks guys for all the compliments. Yes, it is a great machine to own. Has a lot of presence with it's size and weight.

Couple of answers to the questions:

a. Yes, it is not easy to import vintage equipment. Suffice to say I had my share of problems. Since the value of the equipment was high, I employed a Customs Clearing agent, who helped in paper work and formalities, without which I would be still going around customs.

b. As far comparisons with EMT 938: the 938 is a design derived from EMT 950, but without the modular architecture, but has similar elements - very light platter, suspended subchassis, motor torque, optical/magnetic speed control, EMT 929 tonearm etc. Therefore the sound signature is similar. The resolution of MC transformer/preamp on 950 sounds better with better resolution and dynamics. But I can say it will be not be very far away from a 938. What differentiates more than sound, is the longevity, serviceability and design based on discrete parts for longer service life.

c. In fact all the EMTs offer nothing for modification. It is a simple plug and play unit. One must use the EMT TSD 15 MC cartridge to get the original intended design and house sound of EMT. I am presently not, and hence under utilizing the performance of both 938 and 950. It costs around 800 Euro and should be buying soon.

Hope these answers provide some insight.

Cheers.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back