New Bollywood Vinyl releases

navinsinha

I am planning to buy some of the Bollywood oldies recently issued. I would request the FMs to kindly provide their feedback about the SQ that they have personally experienced. Kindly let us have the feedback for each title separately please.

I bought a few of them and was not very satisfied. Most of them are bright and sound very similar to their CD version. These are the albums that I bought so far.
1. 1942 A Love story
2. Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge
3. Yadon Ki Baraat
4. Bombay to Goa
5. Kishore Kumar Greatest Hits
6. Asha Bhonsle Greatest Hits
7. Guru
8. Kaal Ho Na Ho
9. Rang De Basanti
10. Arijit Sing Hits
The albums that I liked (warm and vinyl sounding) are Arijit Singh and Kaal Ho Na Ho.
As per Sony these albums are created using their digital-masters supplied by Saregama and other companies and hence the sound quality is limited to the quality of those digital masters. So I don't expect a very high sound quality from these re-issued albums. Very frustrating...

I'm sure there will be reviews or opinions in the forum. Suggest you do a search for each. I do remember someone liking the Sajda LP. There is lot of negative opinion on the old music new vinyl releases. I don't think they have sold very well either and are available at huge discounts.

Thanks Bro! Went through the threads - good, but did not find what I want. I have shortlisted Awara, Kashmir ki Kali and Sajda. Any feedback on these please?

Here's a definitive review of Kashmir Ki Kali : https://www.hifivision.com/threads/kashmir-ki-kali-sony-dadc-lp-review.65815/

If you still want to chance a purchase,NGH is offering a good discount for probably the next 24 hrs.

Personally I enjoyed the "Dil Padosi Hai" album and was tempted to buy a second copy during one such discount season.

Dear Navin Sir,
I bought all the R.D. Burman titles released under Sony DADC tag and grossly disappointed with the quality in comparison to their first press. I found two of the titles to be of great quality

Dil Padosi Hai - A must buy for Pancham da fans. Far superior than the 1st press
Abhimaan - Very good quality in comparison to the ERS 1st pressing.

Thanks,
Sourav

Finally received Kashmir ki kali and Awara. Played them last week during the day time (my wife also loves vinyls). In the evening, played the original press Kashmir ki Kali (not Angel or Odeon). Wife's comments - The new one comes nowhere the Original. :p
But there was one thing which was an absolute pleasure:
The feel of opening a new recored, must have done it after around 40 years!:)

Kashmir ki kali HMV press is very decent sounding. I think it’s a 1975 press. The original press was on Angel, then came the press on HMV label. The first lot was on red dog label. Later on the black dog

So overall the impression so far about the new released of old titles is ,

They are not worth it, at least if the older releases in good condition can be had at around the same or lower price point.

Kashmir ki kali HMV press is very decent sounding. I think it’s a 1975 press. The original press was on Angel, then came the press on HMV label. The first lot was on red dog label. Later on the black dog
Yes Prem, I have the black dog one, but quite decent sounding. Looking for the Angel one, but no luck so far!

They are not worth it, at least if the older releases in good condition can be had at around the same or lower price point.
It's better to get the reviews from FMs since we got good reviews of Abhiman and Dil Padosi Hai (DADC) as compared to the original ones. I have heard Abhiman (original Odeon press its copy) and found it horrible.

Abhiman original lp is electronically processed stereo. I don’t know about the new pressing

None of the electronically processed stereo original lps sound good. Be it Daag, Abhimaan, Yaadon Ki Baraat, Manoranjan, Aap Ki Kasam, Heera Panna, etc

This is true for almost every title I have come across whether Indian or Western music. Even a high quality "audiophile" copy remastered by guys like Bob Ludwig and Steve Hoffman doesn't sound as good as the originals. There is some mystique about this whole process which goes missing.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back