New LCD: Clounding Present | User Feedback Pls!!!!!!

nairsiddharth

Hey,

just bought a samsung LA40A550 lcd tv. got a lot of feedback on the tv from this forum so was confident that it was a good buy.

but after 3 days of using the TV i am getting clouding at corners, and when i see the lcd tv from an angle closer to 170deg i dont see an even black screen. :mad:

these are my two problems. :sad:
1) clouding at two corners, its not there when i switch on my tv but after 6 hrs of use its is there

2) at an acute angle the screen is not completely evenly black

Can u guys let me know if u have faced similar problems and if i need to get the tv changed. some friends think i am a fool to keep looking for problems!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HELP PLS

Sid

This sure sounds like a problem, at least I've not seen any clouding as described by you. Buzz/PM adder, I'm sure he will have inputs. Also, check for the panel and if you can the usage statistics to make sure you've not got a used/demo piece.

Hey,

just bought a samsung LA40A550 lcd tv. got a lot of feedback on the tv from this forum so was confident that it was a good buy.

but after 3 days of using the TV i am getting clouding at corners, and when i see the lcd tv from an angle closer to 170deg i dont see an even black screen. :mad:

1) clouding at two corners, its not there when i switch on my tv but after 6 hrs of use its is there

Can u guys let me know if u have faced similar problems and if i need to get the tv changed. some friends think i am a fool to keep looking for problems!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HELP PLS

Sid

buddy

u bought the technology tht consider these things as usual, then hw can u expect smthin special outta it...
both the problems u mentioned are herditery of LCD technologies...
so u obviously gonna gt those to suffer...

@mridulgoel - So is clouding a common phenomenon and to be expected? I was not aware of it.

@nairsiddharth - Can you post some pics of this clouding at the corners?

both the problems u mentioned are herditery of LCD technologies...

Mridul,

Can you tell us where it has been proven that LCD technology has clouding as a 'hereditary' feature? I have been using LCDs for a while now and never experienced any such thing.

hey guys... usage statistics is a good idea... any idea how do i figure that out? can someone let me know how to get this on the samsung 5 series lcd.

also couldnt get u guys the pics coz the cloud wasnt there in the morning, like i mentioned before it came after some 6 hours of continuous usage yesterday night. today morning it wasnt there......... as the tv was switched off over night....:rolleyes:

pheewwwww.... probs galore! the samsung guys are sending their engg.

but someone tell me how to check the usage statistics on the lcd.:sad:

thanks in advance

well clouding is not an issue in all lcds, its just ur bad luck,severe clouding can only be seen in night when the image is black or when no content is being displaced,most of the people wont even notice this unless said or start searching for this.if the clouding is to much that it affects contrast then call samsung.
well when u watch at close to 170 degree which rarely people do, u will see 5 to 10% contrast shift, in some cases like in IPS based tvs u will actually see more shadow detail in off axis,if u have a samsung tv with a CMO based panel it has a higher contrast shift and higher color washout.

Wow, the poll has less than 20% (18.23% to be exact) without any clouding issues. I'm surprised since I was not even aware of such a thing.

Hey,

HELP PLS

Sid

Hi Sidharth ,
I am having a Samung LA22A450 Pannel that i purchased 4 months ago and yeserday i watched my tv more than 6 hrs Continuesly(2 mallu DVD's "Veruthey Oru Bharya" and "Madamby" and Some Cable tv programms).But i didn't faced this kind of problem.Even my Neibours said that watching movies in this tv is like watching in theater.:lol:

Mridul,

Can you tell us where it has been proven that LCD technology has clouding as a 'hereditary' feature? I have been using LCDs for a while now and never experienced any such thing.

buddy

just do the googling...

u will get a lot of things..related to it..

and regarding the pics.. m really sorry... while i was in Hitachi we had a lot of them, but now i dont have them...

just a different take - how is the air flow in the tv room. If the humidity is high and the TV is switched on for some time - the clouding may happen. Get proper airflow - i don' think you should have the problem. In case it continues - sent the TV back to Samsung.

Thanks guys for ur nerve relaxing replies :eek:hyeah:

the samsung engineer came home, checked the tv, said it was not a demo piece coz it's mfg date was a last month... so chances are extremely rare.:clapping:

asked him if we can check the number of hrs the tv has been used.... said not possible.

as for the bright spots on the sides, he said that there were nothing to worry about, he said it was due to the backlight. he reduced the backlight and the spot has gone. the backlight setting should be kept at 3

I used the TV for 7 hours yesterday at a stretch ... watched wrestlemania 25 :yahoo: ... it was super.... then checked the TV again for spots. they didn't seem to be there.

the engg told me that the clouding or the brighter spots would not cause any damage to the TV, these are inherent problems with the assembly of the LCD TVs. also mentioned that the OLCD (organic LCD) tvs that are going to come will not have such issues.

i am a bit revealed.... now i wont stare at the TV like a neurotic fool or a psycho like my friends have been calling me since i saw those little spots.

hope this helps. Thanks for ur feedback. appreciate it.:)

Sid

Hi Sid,

Try this out to find out the no of Hrs for the Samsung LCD TV:

Put the TV to StandBy
press "info" -> "menu" -> "mute" -> "power" buttons on the remote.
You will see the details on the no of hrs at the top line.

Please do not change any settings on the service menu.
You need to switch off and switch on again for normal viewing.

Cheers

Hi Sid,

Try this out to find out the no of Hrs for the Samsung LCD TV:

Put the TV to StandBy
press "info" -> "menu" -> "mute" -> "power" buttons on the remote.
You will see the details on the no of hrs at the top line.

Please do not change any settings on the service menu.
You need to switch off and switch on again for normal viewing.

Cheers

what about for lg lcd,
i have a 32 lg lcd

Hi Sid,
very happy that ur problm got solvd,:clapping::clapping:

whats price did u pay for Samy40"?

appreciate early reply..

one more reason to be happy to be in the plasma camp :)

and of course off-axis picture quality on LCDs is notoriously bad, even on the very latest, and very best LED backlit, super - expensive "plasma killer" LCDs.

Wow, the poll has less than 20% (18.23% to be exact) without any clouding issues. I'm surprised since I was not even aware of such a thing.

The factory setting for back light and other parameters for the dynamic and standard modes is far too high for all brands. That is to sell the sets. Once you get it installed, you should use a calibration disk to set it up correctly.

I keep changing the back light level from 2 to 4 depending on the amount of light in the room. I normally set it to 2 in the night, which is a bit brighter than what you typically get from plasmas. If you had it set to more than 4 in the night, I am surprised that you are just complaining of clouding and not headache and fatigue ;)

Thanks,
Sharad

one more reason to be happy to be in the plasma camp :)

and of course off-axis picture quality on LCDs is notoriously bad, even on the very latest, and very best LED backlit, super - expensive "plasma killer" LCDs.

first of all unless u sit at a very steep offaxis u wont notice it,at that angles ,u want even fill like watching it whether its a lcd,plasma or a crt.

and only lcds with local LED dimming backlight have this issue "off-axis" but then again no flat panel display except OLED can achieve complet 0.0cdm2 of black and also this a relatively new technology so it will improve and become cheaper,remember conventional led backlight lcds does not suffer from this and also led backlight solves the clouding issue and a impovement in power efficiency and thickness.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back