Norge 1000 and Wharfedale 9.2/Polk Audio Tsi 200

audi_oh

Hello All,

This is my first post and I would like thank everyone for contributing their experiences about hi-fi products.

I have recently ordered Norge 1000 and the amp is currently on its way from Mumbai to Bangalore.

I have shortlisted Wharfedale 9.1/9.2 or Mission M33i or Polk Audio Tsi200 as my budget is limited to 15-16 k for speakers.

1) What is right pricing for the above speakers in Bangalore? I have been quoted the following list prices.
Wharfedale 9.1 - 13K
Wharfedale 9.2 - 17k
Mission M33i - 17.5k
Polk Audio Tsi 200 - 15k

2) Is the setup optimum for the price range of 20-25 K?
3) What kind of cables should I be looking for and approximate prices?

I listen to almost all types of music - Pop, Hip hop, Bollywood, fusion etc.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Hello All,

This is my first post and I would like thank everyone for contributing their experiences about hi-fi products.

I have recently ordered Norge 1000 and the amp is currently on its way from Mumbai to Bangalore.

I have shortlisted Wharfedale 9.1/9.2 or Mission M33i or Polk Audio Tsi200 as my budget is limited to 15-16 k for speakers.

1) What is right pricing for the above speakers in Bangalore? I have been quoted the following list prices.
Wharfedale 9.1 - 13K
Wharfedale 9.2 - 17k
Mission M33i - 17.5k
Polk Audio Tsi 200 - 15k

3) What kind of cables should I be looking for and approximate prices?

You should get the TSi 200 for 13.5. But I would suggest the RTi A1 instead @14.4 (MRP 16k)

Thanks Raghav, Reju and Biyer for your suggestions. I will try to audition Wharfedale at Total Sound sometime this week followed by Polk Audio at ProFx.

I was not aware of the RTi A1 and currently looking at the Polk website to get more information.

I wish there was a single store where we could listen to all the brands and compare them side by side to make a decision.

Btw any idea whether a 15% discount is too much to ask for the WharfeDale 9.2 (around 14.5K final price) as the Diamond 10 series are out. Surprisingly 10.1 and 9.2 are similarly priced.

Thank you all.

Hi audi_oh,
There have been some issues mentioned in this forum regarding Wharfedale 10 series bass sound in correlation to its air-vents/ports being located at the back. Can't remember those threads...a search on this forum will lead you there.
(9 series has ports at front, and I have not read/or experienced such issue for them)

In the end you be the judge, when you get to audition 9 and 10 series.

I have offered my opinion regarding Norge and Wharfedale combination in many posts in this forum. You may get it all thru "Advanced search", put "Keyword as Norge and "User" as Sonosphere.
Regards,

Last edited:
Hello All,

Wharfedale 9.1 - 13K
Wharfedale 9.2 - 17k
Mission M33i - 17.5k
Polk Audio Tsi 200 - 15k

Do try to get an audition of an open baffle speaker. if you like it, you can build one, very simple and cheap but with great sound!

Please do consider the PSB Alpha B1 for 14k, excellent speakers. Will probably outclass many in its price range.

If you can up your budget to 20k (like I did), then there are lots of options. My thread "favourite speakers under 20k" lists some of these options, and i've auditioned two of them, and going to audition a few more.

psb alpha b1 would be hard to beat with the NAD 325 combo IMHO (its a golden combination thats hard to beat for a budget) - for a norge 1000 however I would seriously recommend the Wharf 9.2.

Thank you all Suprateep, sonosphere psychotropic, Jaudere. On the thread mentioned by psychotropic I found that Music Ranch deals in mission speakers. Will need to pay them a visit too.

Approx quote for M33i is 14K, M34i is 18 K. I am not sure whether these can be discounted any further. These are of course floorstanders but on reading the experiences of several forum members, it seems Mission speakers are also good match with Norge 1000.

This is my first purchase of a stereo setup and I dont have anything to compare them to so I guess most of the setups would impress me.

I currently have Creative 2.1 attached to my PC :eek:

[Daddycool] Norge 1000 cost 9750/- plus shippping 500/-

Regards,

psb alpha b1 would be hard to beat with the NAD 325 combo IMHO (its a golden combination thats hard to beat for a budget) - for a norge 1000 however I would seriously recommend the Wharf 9.2.

can't seem to find PSB/polk in delhi.. going for auditioning wharfies tHis sunday ! think ill get either 9.2 or 10.1. lets see.

Got the 9.2, its yet to reach its prime. Probably after 100 hours of listening. :licklips:

Congrats. I have heard that the 9.2s require about 150-200hrs for breakin. Best thing is to run a CD on auto repeat whenever you are out. Or set the speakers to face each other about 1 ft apart and connect one out of phase and play white noise - no music and this should help break in too.

Hi audi_oh,

congrats!

Do post your impressions about the Norge and 9.2 combo after the break in.
I have the 9.2's. The vintage Marantz amp is playing up sometimes. I may be in the lookout for an amp for the wharfies. Your input will be very valuable.

cheers
sri

ps: Hi sonosphere. I am not able to find your thread on Norge and Wharfedales on the forum.

Last edited:
Mine took 5 months approx to break in. if you leave it out in the sun along with the red chillies it might happen faster :)

Congrats!! :)

Cheers

Well, I took the Norge 1000 to audition the speakers. Based on all the comments/feedback from experienced members of the forum :)signthankspin:) and the threads I read, I zeroed in on Mission 34i and 9.2. Unfortunately, mission 34i was not in stock but 33i was. On auditioning 9.2 first and then 33i, I felt 33i was way behind. I had played the same songs on both. M33i was a demo piece whereas 9.2 was auditioned out of the box (yet to reach its prime). I also auditioned the Wdale 9.4 and 9.5. They sounded better than 9.2 and cost 30k and 40k (list price without discount). It was obviously out of my budget :sad:

I read that the remote for Norge amp only had volume controls. So I tried to save 1 k there and buy a dvd/cd player which had volume controls which was a mistake. So now with the amp without remote I have to get up to adjust the volume for different sounding tracks (a slow song may require tad higher volume and a fast pacy number might require the volume to be turned down unless I want to wake up the neighbors).

Bass is good for a bookshelf and more than enough for a small-mid sized room for speakers at this price. Of course this is my opinion and some one else might actually want a more punchier tighter bass (as in 9.5)

When I listen to Dave Matthews Band on this setup I am happy with the way vocals and mids sound.

This is my first stereo hifi combo and I cannot compare it to anything else I had owned or listened to in the past. With time I will probably be able to compare other similar setups with the one I have and assess the difference.

-audi_oh

Mine took 5 months approx to break in. if you leave it out in the sun along with the red chillies it might happen faster :)

Cheers

Thanks for the tip marsilians

Congrats. I have heard that the 9.2s require about 150-200hrs for breakin. Best thing is to run a CD on auto repeat whenever you are out. Or set the speakers to face each other about 1 ft apart and connect one out of phase and play white noise - no music and this should help break in too.

Does it really take 5 months (how many hours/day) ? How did you assess the difference in sound?

Cheers

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back