Oled eye strain

tusharbiswas3

Hi guys,

Whenever i am watching any content on my c8 oled, there is a sharp irritation in my left eye which slowly extends to the back of the eye and after sometime the eye gets watery. This generally happens after 30-45 mins of watching. But this does not happen while watching any content on a normal led tv. Have anyone else faced this and aware of any solution?? Any setting change needed in tv to reduce this effect??

Hi guys,

Whenever i am watching any content on my c8 oled, there is a sharp irritation in my left eye which slowly extends to the back of the eye and after sometime the eye gets watery. This generally happens after 30-45 mins of watching. But this does not happen while watching any content on a normal led tv. Have anyone else faced this and aware of any solution?? Any setting change needed in tv to reduce this effect??
After I upgraded to 65 inch c9 from 43 inch Sony led I felt some stress in my eyes and watching movies was really un easy for me. The main reason in my case was that I set the motion to smooth and white balance or the temperature to cool. Once I changed it to neutral and motion to clear I don’t get any stress.

After I upgraded to 65 inch c9 from 43 inch Sony led I felt some stress in my eyes and watching movies was really un easy for me. The main reason in my case was that I set the motion to smooth and white balance or the temperature to cool. Once I changed it to neutral and motion to clear I don’t get any stress.
Let me try this!!!

Hi i am a new member and this is my first post! Imo OLEDs infinite contrast is what makes its strainfull. Imagine looking at a bulb in dark room and looking at it in a room with some dim light. Watching on a lcd is like looking at a bulb during evening time due to the grey level. The tech is good for accuracy but yes strainful. Also the glossy coating makes it more reflective that makes it worse.

Hi i am a new member and this is my first post! Imo OLEDs infinite contrast is what makes its strainfull. Imagine looking at a bulb in dark room and looking at it in a room with some dim light. Watching on a lcd is like looking at a bulb during evening time due to the grey level. The tech is good for accuracy but yes strainful. Also the glossy coating makes it more reflective that makes it worse.
Actually no. I watch for hours in a dark room also I have watched 7-8 hours straight and never had eye strain. Yes the screen is highly reflective. At first I had the strain but with wrong settings. Just play with the settings and reduce what ever you feel that is causing the strain. You can also try increasing the viewing distance to reduce the strain. And still if some are having strain it’s best they stay away from oled cause health comes first

This is why bias lighting is useful. However, it has nothing to do with infinite contrast and is applicable to every display; running any TV too bright will cause eye strain. If OLED is giving eye strain, it'll be either because of stutter or running it too bright.

In a dark room, SDR is calibrated to 100 nits. In filmmaker mode on new models, OLED light is at 25 to match to that level. Default setting of 80 in other modes is too high.

Also, the dark greys of LCD, while noticeable, are not bright enough to make a difference. Vincent has mentioned multiple times about setting bias lighting to 5 nits. That's actually pretty low, and most lights run higher, including setups of some famous colorists.

The minimum black level of a set like Q70, calibrated to 100 nits, with a contrast of 7000:1, will be 0.0142. That's not enough to make a difference when it comes to eye strain, which is something that I had too when I first got the Metz OLED.

Reducing the OLED light worked. If I recall correctly, I had helped Love4sound with this too. Not sure now. Lol

Anyway, I also watch for 4-5 hours in a row every night, and longer on weekends, including gaming sessions, and I haven't had any eye strain issues. I'm even running my set to display SDR with increased dynamic range.

And oh, OLED TVs don't use PWM dimming, which can cause issues for some. LCDs use it.

Actually no. I watch for hours in a dark room also I have watched 7-8 hours straight and never had eye strain. Yes the screen is highly reflective. At first I had the strain but with wrong settings. Just play with the settings and reduce what ever you feel that is causing the strain. You can also try increasing the viewing distance to reduce the strain. And still if some are having strain it’s best they stay away from oled cause health comes first

Increasing viewing distance might actually make it worse, especially if the TV is being run at higher than needed brightness settings. The eye will have to deal with a smaller, really bright area now, like the bulb example.

SDR OLED light setting being too bright is also problematic because it raises the average picture level a lot. HDR, while having high peaks, is graded for dark room viewing and there are guidelines to ensure APL doesn't exceed comfortable viewing levels.

This is why bias lighting is useful. However, it has nothing to do with infinite contrast and is applicable to every display; running any TV too bright will cause eye strain. If OLED is giving eye strain, it'll be either because of stutter or running it too bright.

In a dark room, SDR is calibrated to 100 nits. In filmmaker mode on new models, OLED light is at 25 to match to that level. Default setting of 80 in other modes is too high.

Also, the dark greys of LCD, while noticeable, are not bright enough to make a difference. Vincent has mentioned multiple times about setting bias lighting to 5 nits. That's actually pretty low, and most lights run higher, including setups of some famous colorists.

The minimum black level of a set like Q70, calibrated to 100 nits, with a contrast of 7000:1, will be 0.0142. That's not enough to make a difference when it comes to eye strain, which is something that I had too when I first got the Metz OLED.

Reducing the OLED light worked. If I recall correctly, I had helped Love4sound with this too. Not sure now. Lol

Anyway, I also watch for 4-5 hours in a row every night, and longer on weekends, including gaming sessions, and I haven't had any eye strain issues. I'm even running my set to display SDR with increased dynamic range.

And oh, OLED TVs don't use PWM dimming, which can cause issues for some. LCDs use it.

My usual viewing is brightness 50, contrast 85 and oled light is 20 which i hace recently reduced to 10.

Increasing viewing distance might actually make it worse, especially if the TV is being run at higher than needed brightness settings. The eye will have to deal with a smaller, really bright area now, like the bulb example.

SDR OLED light setting being too bright is also problematic because it raises the average picture level a lot. HDR, while having high peaks, is graded for dark room viewing and there are guidelines to ensure APL doesn't exceed comfortable viewing levels.
By increasing i didnt mean very far just a few inches. seated to close also may cause stress. Just need to experiment all possibilities. My case it was the color temperature and motion. It was very stressful and i was very upset at first thinking its oled issue. Now with the right settings m able to watch for hours without any stress.

Wow ... are you working somehere in this field? Thats a good explanation ..

Expert dark isf. Recently added one dim yellow light to the room for viewing. Helped a bit.

Check your peak brightness setting. Default should be at off in that mode.

Check Trumotion then. Put it to Clear.

Along with that, remember to blink frequently while watching.

There's nothing in the tech as such that should cause an issue tbh. How far are you sitting from the TV and what size is the TV?

Check your peak brightness setting. Default should be at off in that mode.

Check Trumotion then. Put it to Clear.

Along with that, remember to blink frequently while watching.

There's nothing in the tech as such that should cause an issue tbh. How far are you sitting from the TV and what size is the TV?
55. Around 11 12feet

55. Around 11 12feet

Then you should try moving closer if possible. In a dark room, that's too far from a screen that size. Like 30° puts ideal TV size at that distance above 80". Consider that OLEDs, even though they don't get as bright as top LED LCDs, they get way brighter than plasma or CRT. You should consider adding soft bias lighting behind the TV. A small strip on the plastic housing will give you a diffused light all around the TV. I wouldn't add bias lighting to OLED personally, but because you're sitting too far, it's better to do that than to turn lights on in the room.

11-12 feet is very far for a 55 inch. Mine is 65 and i watch at 8-9 feet.

Isn’t that (distance and size) relative? A family in the 80s watching from 15 feet would have found 21” as big. A few years ago, 40 inches from 8-9 ft would have been considered as optimum. As larger screens become affordable, this size standard keeps increasing. Newer online calculators would come in to substantiate that and fuel size upgrades.

Wonder what’s the ultimate? Perhaps a 360 deg Virtual reality simulating infinite size at zero distance from the eyes?

As for the original query, @tusharbiswas3, have you checked with your family members if they experience the same strain as you do if they watch for same amount of time from the same distance? If not, and you face the irritation and watering only in one eye, wonder if it could be an eye-related problem that is only getting revealed due to the OLED screen? Best to get checked with an opthalmologist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn’t that (distance and size) relative? A family in the 80s watching from 15 feet would have found 21” as big. A few years ago, 40 inches from 8-9 ft would have been considered as optimum. As larger screens become affordable, this size standard keeps increasing. Newer online calculators would come in to substantiate that and fuel size upgrades.

Wonder what’s the ultimate? Perhaps a 360 deg Virtual reality simulating infinite size at zero distance from the eyes?

As for the original query, @tusharbiswas3, have you checked with your family members if they experience the same strain as you do if they watch for same amount of time from the same distance? If not, and you face the irritation and watering only in one eye, wonder if it could be an eye-related problem that is only getting revealed due to the OLED screen? Best to get checked with an opthalmologist.
Well as per guidelines the viewing distance differs for tv size and especially 4K. You can watch from far or close that’s subjective.

That 21" screen wouldn't have been as bright as his OLED TV.

Then you should try moving closer if possible. In a dark room, that's too far from a screen that size. Like 30° puts ideal TV size at that distance above 80". Consider that OLEDs, even though they don't get as bright as top LED LCDs, they get way brighter than plasma or CRT. You should consider adding soft bias lighting behind the TV. A small strip on the plastic housing will give you a diffused light all around the TV. I wouldn't add bias lighting to OLED personally, but because you're sitting too far, it's better to do that than to turn lights on in the room.

I think this worked. Today sat around 7 feet distance. Watched 2 movies back to back with no strain. Let me try this out for a few more days to confirm!!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back