OLED long term experiences

danielnaveen2003

Hi everyone,

I want to move to the world of 4K HDR, and the current generation of 4K projectors just ain’t cutting the mustard specifically when it comes to HDR. So after much deliberation I’ve zeroed in on two TVs which will work for me.

1. LG C8 77 inch
2. Sony 85 inch 9000f/900f

(there’s no Samsung in the list as they don’t support Dolby vision)

Given a choice I would pick the oled even though the screen is smaller. But before I dump my money in this pit I wanted to ask has anyone been using an oled extensively for over a year watching lots of Dolby vision content. And what has your experience in terms of reliability been?

Hi everyone,

I want to move to the world of 4K HDR, and the current generation of 4K projectors just ain’t cutting the mustard specifically when it comes to HDR. So after much deliberation I’ve zeroed in on two TVs which will work for me.

1. LG C8 77 inch
2. Sony 85 inch 9000f/900f

(there’s no Samsung in the list as they don’t support Dolby vision)

Given a choice I would pick the oled even though the screen is smaller. But before I dump my money in this pit I wanted to ask has anyone been using an oled extensively for over a year watching lots of Dolby vision content. And what has your experience in terms of reliability been?
I think the reliability of OLED depends on the panel lottery. When I got my B7, I watched series with 16:9 content on for the first 2 months and noticed that the part where the black bar goes became slightly darker than the rest on normal non 16:9 content. LG replaced the panel in a week. The new panel they bought was not completely uniform on white, meaning the edges were slightly(really slightly )darker than the center. But I could easily live with it compared to the first one. He told I can contact them if I find it really difficult with it. But I thought of changing it on a Again I continued the habit, as it was still in warranty. The second panel is now more than 8 months now. SURPRISINGLY the edges and the rest are now seemless. I cant believe its better, also whites slowly became cleaner, like its better than what i got. I really dont have an idea if OLEDs have a break in period or so! Not my eyes, for sure.

Except for motion processing on B7 I am satisfied in the rest of it. I think the B8 C8 is better on motion processing, but I still doubt it matches Sony in that aspect. To me, even without HDR content, OLEDs dynamic range is not possible to match on a LCD. Also, the faster response time of an OLED makes a different experience with objects like flashing lights in movies realistic. After some intial hickups for me its difficult to go back to the LCD stuff again.

I think the reliability of OLED depends on the panel lottery. When I got my B7, I watched series with 16:9 content on for the first 2 months and noticed that the part where the black bar goes became slightly darker than the rest on normal non 16:9 content. LG replaced the panel in a week. The new panel they bought was not completely uniform on white, meaning the edges were slightly(really slightly )darker than the center. But I could easily live with it compared to the first one. He told I can contact them if I find it really difficult with it. But I thought of changing it on a Again I continued the habit, as it was still in warranty. The second panel is now more than 8 months now. SURPRISINGLY the edges and the rest are now seemless. I cant believe its better, also whites slowly became cleaner, like its better than what i got. I really dont have an idea if OLEDs have a break in period or so! Not my eyes, for sure.

Except for motion processing on B7 I am satisfied in the rest of it. I think the B8 C8 is better on motion processing, but I still doubt it matches Sony in that aspect. To me, even without HDR content, OLEDs dynamic range is not possible to match on a LCD. Also, the faster response time of an OLED makes a different experience with objects like flashing lights in movies realistic. After some intial hickups for me its difficult to go back to the LCD stuff again.

That’s not very promising. Considering the tv costs the same as a premium hatchback. And the 77 inch may not even have spares available readily

Do you have any Channel Logo image retention /Burn-in on the OLED ? For me that would be a deal breaker, having lived with a Plasma.

Is there more stuttering on panning shots in OLED compared to LED-LCD? With or without motion smoothness on?

Is there more stuttering on panning shots in OLED compared to LED-LCD? With or without motion smoothness on?
The 2017 B7 , C7 both has stuttering even with the motion smoothness on. Its occasional. Not always. Like something is getting filled into a buffer and then a stutter, then again smooth.

I think the frame rate doubling processor in those ones were not good enough. But, The newer 2018 models spot better processors. However if your video is already 60fps for example
meaning the tv doesnt have to double the frame rate by its own, then its smooth(I just tried it once again, before posting).

So, if you are a purist, and you like the content to be played without any addition the 2017 models are still good enough. I always have it turned off, that is 30fps stays 30fps(stuttering, but cinematic) .

But, again its hard to go back to LCDs once you get used to the colors and contrast OLED shows. At the showroom you may not know it. I realized it after using it since last November and went to my fathers place where a 48 inch samsung led tv(series 5) is installed. I felt it really really bad even after lot of tweaking.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back