OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

OM_2K19

I usually watch this forum and off late noticed more threads with OLED/ others tv brands reporting panel degradation. Due to Covid, Self-isolation greatly accelerated panel degradation time because viewers are watching more TVs then before. It will be interesting to see how things turn out in future.

True write-up:

I can't stand so many people buying OLEDs on the forum, so let's ramp up the fear even more. Muahahahaha!

I usually watch this forum and off late noticed more threads with OLED/ others tv brands reporting panel degradation. Due to Covid, Self-isolation greatly accelerated panel degradation time because viewers are watching more TVs then before. It will be interesting to see how things turn out in future.

Oled burn in totally depends on your luck. 5 years is what I anticipate out of a TV. Get a long term warranty if possible enjoy it when you can. Anyway it’s a niche market and budget wise they are a tier or two above led TVs of the same screen size. So people who really want it would get it won’t change mind despite the negative press.

Being an Oled owner I don’t worry much about burn in. Oled is for home theatre enthusiasts who use it purely for watching movies and tv shows. I don’t have a DTH connection and have my tv in a dark environment and use it mainly to watch 4k contents or 1080 contents which are of good quality.so for my usage I don’t have to worry much about burn in unless it’s a faulty panel.But I do have the fear of dead pixels cause recently for a FM with just 500 hours of usage in his c8 developed few dead pixels. Oled is for home theatre users who watch a lot of 4K HDR, good quality 1080p contents. For normal cable and low quality contents usage in a bright environment I would advice them to go for lcd which can be used roughly without the fear of burn in

Last edited:
This video says some nice things:

And it was done on 2017 models. Red subpixel much bigger now, almost twice the size. So even if we assume linear correlation, you can expect 2x life from 2019 and 2020 panels. So that's 6,000 hours or so for a static logo to burn-in. Calculate how long it'll take for your usage to get their for a logo, and there you have it. 3 hours of a channel a day with the same logo, that's 2,000 days...5.5-6 years to burn-in.

And oh, 2017 models didn't have logo luminance either. High-risk usage, turn it on to high, and even longer life span.

For newer TVs, burn-in is a non-issue for most people.

Plus, if you guys will head over to the OLED advancements thread on avsforums, where we analysed why performance jumped 6x from 2016 to 2017, it happened mostly because of stack change from 3 color 2 stack to 3 color 3 stack. That one change itself enhanced the life by a big big amount. The increase in red subpixels might do the same. Correlation between half-life of subpixel size might very well be a lot more than linear. It gives compensation cycle more headroom to correct.

If we had more data, we could have plotted and predicted how much life will increase. Anyway, even at 2x, burn-in not an issue for most.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Passive_audio_enthusiast - I second you, burin-in entirely depends on luck, and by not covering the Burn-In under Warranty, LG just acknowledged that fact. If an OLED can sustain five years of regular usage, then all is good, but the recent reports in various forums suggest otherwise. LG was trying hard to convert the Hi-End LED users to OLED, but with so many issues reported in the past few months, I don't see that happening soon.

@Love4sound - Dead pixel is another issue a large of users are reporting these days. It looks like the temperature generated by the extended usage of the Unit is expediting the panel degradation. It appears that the consensus is OLED for gentle use probably 2/3 hours a day and LCD for regular usage. Those who can't afford multiple TVs probably will stick to LCD for daily usage.

Burn-in is not dependent on luck. It has been tested. It's correlated with half-life of subpixels, which is similar across the board. User burn-in reports of 2016 and 2017 panels correlates with Rtings test. No luck involved.

Dead pixels happens on every 4k model.

Stop spreading lies and half-baked knowledge!!

Shameful behavior by members of a tech forum.

And it was done on 2017 models. Red subpixel much bigger now, almost twice the size. So even if we assume linear correlation, you can expect 2x life from 2019 and 2020 panels. So that's 6,000 hours or so for a static logo to burn-in. Calculate how long it'll take for your usage to get their for a logo, and there you have it. 3 hours of a channel a day with the same logo, that's 2,000 days...5.5-6 years to burn-in.

And oh, 2017 models didn't have logo luminance either. High-risk usage, turn it on to high, and even longer life span.

For newer TVs, burn-in is a non-issue for most people.
There is no single case of burn in for 9 and x series? Or isnt it just probability is less ?

OLED TVs run fairly cool, especially compared to high brightness LED models and the heat is well spread out.

Making fanciful assumptions based on misinformation and then claiming there's a "consensus". By whom? Where's this consensus? Between your thoughts and farts?

Probability is based on the usage. As long as people aren't crossing 6,000 hours on a logo, no burn-in is to be expected. How soon before that happens? Let's say someone watching news 6 hours a day on the same channel. That's still 1000 day...almost three years. We will have reports of C8 burn-in on 2021. We will have reports of C9 burn-in inna couple of years.

However, it's not based on luck at all. Every user that has reported burn-in and have reported their usage hours too, the correlation is well matched with Rtings test. We are seeing general panel degradation in 2017 models at 9,000-10,000 hours too, especially in the center as more of than not, faces are in the center. That's to be expected as Rtings tests have shown that too.

I'm providing users with accurate information so that they can calculate according to their usage.

This is science. Not fantasy. We have the relevant info to make educated estimations now.

Again, no luck involved. It's just pixels behaving according to their half-life and compensation cycle running out of headroom.

OLED bad. Dead pixels. OLED heat. Consensus. Blah blah blah.

Here's the reality:
Dead and stuck pixels happen in every TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until LG officially covers Burn-In under Warranty, the general confidence in OLED will always be in question. If they can't trust their own Manufacturing/QA, how an average user can build trust? Every technology has its Pros and Cons, and as a tech enthusiast, we should acknowledge it help other's to make an informed decision. After all, it's a massive investment for most of us.

Until LG officially covers Burn-In under Warranty, the general confidence in OLED will always be in question. If they can't trust their own Manufacturing/QA, how an average user can build trust? Every technology has its Pros and Cons, and as a tech enthusiast, we should acknowledge it help other's to make an informed decision. After all, it's a massive investment for most of us.

You are not helping anyone make an informed discussion. Not once have you mentioned any facts related to burn-in and usage. You have not mentioned any improvements that have been made since Rtings 2017 burn-in test. You are not even acknowledging that LG has been replacing panels for hundreds of reported online users.

You're simply fear mongering. Nothing else.

You are not helping anyone make an informed discussion. Not once have you mentioned any facts related to burn-in and usage. You have not mentioned any improvements that have been made since Rtings 2017 burn-in test. You are not even acknowledging that LG has been replacing panels for hundreds of reported online users.

You're simply fear mongering. Nothing else.
Just to confirm, are you saying that LG will replace a panel if any burn-in issues occurs within warranty/extended warranty period?

Just to confirm, are you saying that LG will replace a panel if any burn-in issues occurs within warranty/extended warranty period?

They have been replacing for users all Europe, US, UK, Australia and Canada, and a couple of users have gotten it in writing that they are replacing for up to four years as one-time courtesy.

Is it official policy written on their website? No. Have they replaced it for hundreds of confirmed users? Yes!

Will they do it for you? Might take some convincing.

Should you be reckless and not worry about burn-in?Absolutely not.

6,000 hours for a static logo to burn-in on 2019 and 2020 panels should be the conservative estimate. Stay below that, and you'll be fine.

Of course, after 20,000 hours or so, general degradation can happen, like it is happening at about 10,000 hours give or take for 2017 owners. For me, 20,000 hours means almost 10 years of usage.

Hey @harryneopotter - You can have a look at the last few pages of this thread from Europe's largest AV Forum. See their experience with claiming Warranty; it may give you a fair idea of these thing work. How LG will behave in India, I don't know. You better check their Twitter handle.

That is promising. I am just worried about my usual bad luck. If something can go wrong, then it WILL go wrong with me.

My usage is simple: Netflix, Youtube, Prime, Hoststar, local videos using Plex and Cricket matches (IPL and other international matches, not all). No usual TV or DTH at all. News channels for 30-60 mins twice a month on average.

Daily usage will be around 3-5 hours on average unless I use it as a work monitor by connecting the MBA.

That is promising. I am just worried about my usual bad luck. If something can go wrong, then it WILL go wrong with me.

My usage is simple: Netflix, Youtube, Prime, Hoststar, local videos using Plex and Cricket matches (IPL and other international matches, not all). No usual TV or DTH at all. News channels for 30-60 mins twice a month on average.

Daily usage will be around 3-5 hours on average unless I use it as a work monitor by connecting the MBA.

You have nothing to worry about. Chill.

Go through these to cleanse your mind of the fear someone is trying to instill at every opportunity:

I can give literally a hundred more instances.

Actually burn is not something to worry unless ur going to watch some content with a bright logo for 8-12 hours continuously on a daily basis. If you are going to watch a lot of tv shows, 4k movies you shouldn’t even bother about burn in. Competitors are clearly spreading the fear. For example there was an ad by Samsung where one guy plays a game for 12 hours continuous using the oled and qled tv. After 12 hours no issue in Q led but in the Oled image retention was observed. I mean who is going to play 12 hours straight in an oled?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back