Onkyo Ht-S6300...need help

Defiance

Hi,

I'm a newbie and looking forward to get the Onkyo HT-S6300 HTiB. I was thinking of getting it shipped from Amazon US through shopyourworld, but just have a few questions around it.

1. How reliable is shopyourworld.com website. Has anyone used it before.
2. Is the power adapter unit for the Onkyo built into the Receiver or it a separate unit like you get in laptops. The reason being, US version is 110V, if its(power adapter) an external unit i can buy that separately from the Onkyo store here in india.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

1. I have heard that shopyourworld website is decently reliable. There is a 80-90% chance that nothing would go wrong, except some extra shipping costs and all.

2. You will need a convertor and you may not get it from Onkyo India.

Hi,

I am planning to buy the Onkyo 6300 HTS from ebay.in through the ebay.in's global easy buy. Surprisingly the product in new condition is available for purchase for Rs. 30190 which includes shipping charges & can be delivered to any address in india. However i am not sure about how reliable it would be to purchase from ebay & unsure if the product could be delivered to me. However incase if i buy it & gets the product could anyone please let me know what glitches i may face during installation or usage of the system. Please share all reviews about the product.

Ebay covers every purchase with a returns policy so the case of non-delivery will be easily taken care of. As for a defective piece arriving, you'll have to ship it back at least at your own effort (not sure about the costs). I've been waiting on the fringes too on using Shopyourworld or Ebay Global easy buy. Will have to pull the trigger sometime in the near future.

Shoyourworld is decent and reliable. Not that I have personally used it. It did quote me 39K for Onkyo 5300 from USA.
18K was the unit, 15K shipping and another 5-6K Customs.
Also, I've heard that if the customs duty is less than what they have charged you, they refund you the difference.

HTH

Hi,

I am planning to buy the Onkyo 6300 HTS from ebay.in through the ebay.in's global easy buy. Surprisingly the product in new condition is available for purchase for Rs. 30190 which includes shipping charges & can be delivered to any address in india. However i am not sure about how reliable it would be to purchase from ebay & unsure if the product could be delivered to me. However incase if i buy it & gets the product could anyone please let me know what glitches i may face during installation or usage of the system. Please share all reviews about the product.

Did u say 6300 for 30000Rs?? :O :O :O thats just 7K more than the Amazon Selling price of 500$ (23000). I think thats a decent deal, considering the 5300 itself is 52000 here.

Can you check the price for HT 5300 through the eBay Global easy buy. I'll be also checking the same once I reach home. eBay blocked at work..... lol

Hi,

Onkyo 5300 is showing 36K. I just wrote to the international seller about few queries on the 6300 showing my interest & the next day i saw the price changed to 41k :(

ill wait for few more days untill the price gets dropped. I talked to ebay & they said that the item is actually purchased by an intl reseller from the intl actual seller & the reseller ships to us & the price is inclusive of shipping charges & custom duty. however i think that the only problem cud be is the intl warranty. Onkyo india will not give support for the product bought from an non india authorized dealer

HI All,

Just like the previous post said, no warranty from Onkyo in India. I used to work for them a long time ago and hence can confirm this.

Prices are obviously cheaper, but no warranty at all. You are on your own as far as Onkyo products imported are concerned and most of the times, the converters/step downs have to be really reliable.

Vinod

Yup, the same was for most of my electronic gear, which I procured from US. All of the stuff still works great. The only thing I blew up was a digital bedside radio clock. I loved it :) my relative plugged it directly into the 240V supply and kaput !

@Vinod.R
Since you've worked with Onkyo, will you be able to help this query? Lets imagine we get a Onkyo Unit from US and then mess it up. Can we still approach the Onkyo India service guys? Even though it won't be covered in Warranty and we may need to shell put extra for labor/ parts etc, but will we still be able to get the service?

If yes, how expensive could it be than if it were covered in warranty?

I have used ebay GEB. ebay has price protection for purchase made through paisaypay. If product is not delivered, you no need to worry about refund, though it may take some time.

But the seller i2cworld is most unprofessional and never gives true information on the status of the shipping. They take their sweet time and do every process only on the last possible day. If you try to communicate with them, either it will not be attended or you will get different version of story from different customer service executive. I had a tough time in my last order through GEB. Finally I got the product intact exactly on the last day. You need to keep yourself cool to deal with this seller.

I have no experience with shopyourworld.com. Our forum member Vinay has purchased his projector through shopyourworld.com and shared his experience in his thread.

If you buy AVR from US, you need to invest Rs.3000-5000 on a good reliable converter (with isolation). This is essential to protect your costly AVR. Do not comprise on this.

If you find the difference between price in India and US (along with added cost for converter), less than Rs.5000/-, think twice about taking the risk of buying from US.

Hi,

Can anyone tell me where do i get the power convertor for Onkyo 6300 which i am finalised to buy from ebay geb within few days. Also what could be the cost of the same.

Hi,

One of my friend who has an electric stores has suggested to me to install 1Kva Stepdown Transformer for Onkyo 6300. I am still confused & request you guys to publish more information on this.

I have a Samsung 32" LCD which i got from india itself. When ill connect the onyo 6300 receiver's hdmi out to the TV would it work.

Hi snorkel4u,

Just to give you a example, when I used to work in Onkyo there was a HTIB called 570. Customer came into our shop and told us that the prices are much cheaper than the US. We used to see it go for about Rs 26-27000 max of 30,000. He was getting it for about Rs 18000 + shipping from USA.

Say about Rs 20,000.

We said Rs 6,000 not worth the risk.

Drops in after about a month and said he got it cheap from US.

This is where it gets interesting, he bought a Rs 4/- converter plug and plugged it straight into the wall socket here in Bangalore. KABOOM!!!:D

Mind you, I had warned him about getting a step down for it before plugging!

Drops into our shop next day and says his HTIB is not working.

I asked him, what he did, then he says what he did (The Converter plug part!!!)

Called up Onkyo and they said they do not cover sets outside India, no international warranty.

Bill Came to Rs 15000, because both the amp and sub woofer had blown + cost of a new step down transformer.

My experience tells me that the first thing which goes is the power supply or if the step down is not up to the mark, then there is humming and hissing etc when you play movies. If step down is not good, it gets hot and you have to give it some rest. Mind you I am not talking about guys here who have state of the art converters etc!!!

My advise, if the price difference is not much, it is NOT worth the risk and why have a extra box just for power supply? But if you are buying really top of the line stuff, then may be worth it but then the risk is higher.

I hope this answers some of your queries and hope this helps you.

Take care

Last edited:
Hi,

My cousin has ordered HTS6300 from ebay for 30190 but the seller was unable to send it within the time frame and the order got canceled .Now he is looking for some other seller with lowest price (or he might again place order with same seller but no sure as of now ).
Let you all know further proceedings.

Hi snorkel4u,

Just to give you a example, when I used to work in Onkyo there was a HTIB called 570. Customer came into our shop and told us that the prices are much cheaper than the US. We used to see it go for about Rs 26-27000 max of 30,000. He was getting it for about Rs 18000 + shipping from USA.

Say about Rs 20,000.

We said Rs 6,000 not worth the risk.

Drops in after about a month and said he got it cheap from US.

This is where it gets interesting, he bought a Rs 4/- converter plug and plugged it straight into the wall socket here in Bangalore. KABOOM!!!:D

Mind you, I had warned him about getting a step down for it before plugging!

Drops into our shop next day and says his HTIB is not working.

I asked him, what he did, then he says what he did (The Converter plug part!!!)

Called up Onkyo and they said they do not cover sets outside India, no international warranty.

Bill Came to Rs 15000, because both the amp and sub woofer had blown + cost of a new step down transformer.

My experience tells me that the first thing which goes is the power supply or if the step down is not up to the mark, then there is humming and hissing etc when you play movies. If step down is not good, it gets hot and you have to give it some rest. Mind you I am not talking about guys here who have state of the art converters etc!!!

My advise, if the price difference is not much, it is NOT worth the risk and why have a extra box just for power supply? But if you are buying really top of the line stuff, then may be worth it but then the risk is higher.

I hope this answers some of your queries and hope this helps you.

Take care

Vinod,

i agree with your points, i have decided to drop the idea of buying hts 6300 from ebay instead i may go for 5300 or wait for few months for the new coming 5400. onkyo 6300 is showing up 41k in ebay now

My cousin has ordered HTS6300 from ebay for 30190 but the seller was unable to send it within the time frame and the order got canceled .Now he is looking for some other seller with lowest price (or he might again place order with same seller but no sure as of now ).
Let you all know further proceedings.

Ohh i was just going to purchase that but it got disapperaed within a day & i was thinking that it happened after i posted here,,, is it because your cosuin buyed it?? anyways what was the problem, why it dint got delivered.

Hi Vprasad84,

My post was not to discourage anybody from buying things from the US etc, but just to let you all know the basic pitfalls about these purchases.

AVRs/Amps can be expensive because it is a mix of Capacitors, power supply, transistors, pcbs, ICs, chips all trying to work together in harmony.

One never knows what will die off, of course hopefully by the time the warranty is over, the unit is well grooved in!

Regards

Hi Vinod,

Tell me one thing that if i get the Onkyo 6300 & get a stepdown transformer of 1Kva or 1.5Kva & connect through it then if something has got to be down due to the power issue (sooner or later in future)then it should be the amp & the subwoofer (as it is active)?? incase if my amp & woofer gets down, then can i get an amp locally with a subwoofer & use the same speakers & the speakers/system shall function??

Also my Samsung LCD TV i have got it locally here which has the power supply of 260V & i am also planning to get a philips 3D bluray player which again would have a indian power supply model

Now lets say i install it all i.e connect the bluray to the amp & the amp's hdmi out to the LCD TV then since the devices are running with different power supply models then it should cause any issue due to devices having diff power supply models?

Feedback from all is appreciated

Hi Vprasad84,

Yes it should function absolutely, the step down is only concerned with converting the voltage from 230v to 110v (Step down), so anything you plug into the wall socket is the concerning part.

The speakers have nothing to do with it. You can buy any amplifier (Assuming the RMS and ratings match) and use it. But the sub woofer is usually something else as it uses the power supply.

Yes, it should cause problems. Because like you said the amp + sub woofer would be running on 110v and the Samsung LCD and the Philips Blu Ray would be usually rated at 230v. The extra power socket provided on Amps usually mimic the power supply that the main supply is connected to. It is actually a direct power supply itself. So what I mean is that the HTB would be running on the step down and the LCD + blu ray would be on the normal wall socket, But the hook ups should not cause any audio or video problems.

So it is best to connect them separately and be very careful while doing the actual connections. Because while installing, all plugs can sometimes look the same.

Take care

Hi Vinod,

The onkyo6300 has the AV Reciever & not actually amplifier so please consider accordingly. I am clear on the speakers part that in future if anything goes wrong with reciever i can get a new1 & use the speakers. little confused on the connections side.I would be making connection as below

Samsung LCD TV on direct electric socket which is generally 220V
Philips Blu ray on direct electric socket which is generally 220V

Reciever & subwoofer will be connect to 120v out of stepdown transformer & the stepdown transformer's input cord will be connected to direct electric socket which is generally 220V
after these connections are done, i shall connect the blu ray hdmi to reciever hdmi input & hdmi cable from reciever's hdmi out to lcd tv hdmi in.

Please correct if wrong or kindly suggest more.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back