(onkyo tx-sr508 or Denon 1311) + polk TSI 200

Hey Swami,

My setup is almost like yours. I am struggling to connect DVD player /Tata Sky/Sony Wega to AV. Your help is appreciated.

- Sanjiv

Hi Sanjiv,

I am not utilising the most of my equipments at the moment. Reason being, I am kind of focusing on audio settings and playing better stereo music to enjoy the potential, and also because I do not have a new DVDp yet.

I have connected my old DVDp to AVR via RCA analog audio out and a composite video out directly to TV (CRT). AVR connected to stereo 9.1 wharfedale. Tata sky + connected to TV directly for composite video and analog stereo audio.

I know I am not justifying my purchase with such limited connectivity. I am planning to pick up a pioneer 420 (maybe 220) soon. Will connect it to AVR with HDMI and AVR to TV via composite video (no other choice). Will also try a digital optical audio connection betwen my tata sky + STB and AVR and video will be routed to TV directly similar to now.

Hope this clarifies my setup but not sure if it was of any help since this is a very basic setup considering the new age AVR that I procured!

Let me know what you think about this and what you plan at your end.

hi swami,
I am using same. wanted to route tata sky via avr, but thats okay as I too am focused on music right now.I too have philips dvp-642k (no hdmi). using coaxial now. will optical be better? Also tell me speaker positions, how much distance apart? should I use pure audio setting on avr? or stereo? any other configuration needed on avr?
also, i feel I need a sub as well. missing on something.

hi swami,
I am using same. wanted to route tata sky via avr, but thats okay as I too am focused on music right now.I too have philips dvp-642k (no hdmi). using coaxial now. will optical be better? Also tell me speaker positions, how much distance apart? should I use pure audio setting on avr? or stereo? any other configuration needed on avr?
also, i feel I need a sub as well. missing on something.

I am not sure about there is a difference in optical vs coaxial. I understand that both are digital and for short distance should provide same quality; since, the digital signal in both cases will be converted to analog within your amp.

My speakers are 1-1.5 feet on either side of my TV slightly toed inwards to focus on my pillow position (the set up is in my bedroom :) )

I experimented with avr settings and found that "direct" setting of denon (might be, "pure audio" in your case) gave me better results. On the other hand, "stereo" mode was good but slightly lacked the clarity (mainly observed in lack of crisp quality of vocals). Note that in direct setting avr doesn't allow me any tweaking like equalizers etc.

There may be many configurations on AVR needed or possible. I am still in the process of discovering those. By the way, try speaker setup for fronts and keeping others as "no". Also, try crossover settings and speaker bass crossover and share your experience with us please.

No. I am not thinking of a sub at the moment. Not for CD music, I mean. I am quite good with a pair of bookshelves which do give me enough (only needed) bass. My opinion might change later. For now, I just plan to get a sub once I start upgrading my system for a full 5.1 setup for movie/multi_ch music.

PS: Haven't seen a single DVD (movie) till now after my purchase, just listening to any and every CD that I can find in my rack!

guys, I am looking for the hometheatre with good stereo capability. I have got onkyo SR307 + speakers 728 combo offer for Rs.35K. Its a good price but compared to SR508, it does not have HDMI 1.4, True HD and DTS HD Master. From denon I have combo 1311 + polk RM6750 for Rs.43K from ProFX. Also got offer for Denon DHT1311 (includes Denon speakers) for a combo of Rs.39K. But ProFX is not encouraging DHT1311, since they say it will not be service supported in India. Further we are also not sure on performance of Denon speakers. I am confused. Request you guys to help me in taking decision.

guys, I am looking for the hometheatre with good stereo capability. I have got onkyo SR307 + speakers 728 combo offer for Rs.35K. Its a good price but compared to SR508, it does not have HDMI 1.4, True HD and DTS HD Master. From denon I have combo 1311 + polk RM6750 for Rs.43K from ProFX. Also got offer for Denon DHT1311 (includes Denon speakers) for a combo of Rs.39K. But ProFX is not encouraging DHT1311, since they say it will not be service supported in India. Further we are also not sure on performance of Denon speakers. I am confused. Request you guys to help me in taking decision.

508 + 728 was quoted 49990 as package . Saw it on modernworld .. So you can bargain it between 42 - 44 k ... It is a better package compared to the above all.

Hi Guyz,

I have also decided on Onkyo 508+Jamo S406+Jamo centre and Rear combo. It's gonna cost me arnd 45 K (under my budget).

If anybody's using this setup then please provide your feedback on this.

Also, please suggest on which sub woofer to go for with the above configuration. My budget is 15K and i hav chosen Jamo SUB 200.

Thanks,
Sunny

Hi Guyz,

I have also decided on Onkyo 508+Jamo S406+Jamo centre and Rear combo. It's gonna cost me arnd 45 K (under my budget).

If anybody's using this setup then please provide your feedback on this.

Also, please suggest on which sub woofer to go for with the above configuration. My budget is 15K and i hav chosen Jamo SUB 200.

Thanks,
Sunny

Congrats I think 506 series is lil better in Jamo series...And there is a Jamo sub 200 for sale for 9k if you are ok to pickup used(check for sale section) .

Kittu

Thanks Kittu.

I checked the for sale section but i'd be more comfortable buying a brand new one with warranty.

And Yes, 506 would definitely sound better than 406 but at that price range i'd rather go for polk audio tsi series as you suggested earlier (budget is a constraint here). :sad:

Also, i think 406 will do justice to my HTS for room size (11x18) - i have heard them and they sound pretty good.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back