P or L is the Que!

flatish

Hi,
I wish to buy a Flat screen TV of size 40-42" either LCD or plasma and I want to know valued opinion about the esteemed forum members and I also know that such sort of que must have asked 100th times but i have few queries regarding Plasma which i wish to clear

first let me tell u my req.I need this TV mostly 2 watch DTH TV at home with all family members sitting acroos the living room with distance ranging from 8-10 ft.My budget is around 40-50 K.

I have auditioned both LCD and Plasma TVs at various showrooms and honestly Plasma Fascinated me with its near natural color production,good viewing angles nd superior handing of black and whites and absence of motion blurr but i got some nagging questions so pl guide me on them.

1.Power consumption- does it makes huge dent in wallet monthly on electric bills
2.Burn Ins- most ppl talk about burn in problems of plasmas and many websites and the sales person at Pany says now with new Pixelshift tech the burn in problem is Burned out. is it so?
3.Many sales ppl acroos samsung,sony discouraged me even viewing plasma saying in few days LCD will takeover on plasma nd plasma will burn out.is it true? in coming years will plasma have same fate of good old CRTs?

If on yr opinions i decide to buy plasma which models nd company will be better? I have talked to Pany showroom and they offered me 42C10 plasma at price of 46K.is it good price?

One more thing i just checked ebay and one vendor there offer same model at price of 37K! Is shopping at ebay is reliable?

Thanks for bearing my lengthy thread nd impatiently login nd log out to check responses to my very 1st thread at Hifi.

Hi,
1.Power consumption- does it makes huge dent in wallet monthly on electric bills
2.Burn Ins- most ppl talk about burn in problems of plasmas and many websites and the sales person at Pany says now with new Pixelshift tech the burn in problem is Burned out. is it so?
3.Many sales ppl acroos samsung,sony discouraged me even viewing plasma saying in few days LCD will takeover on plasma nd plasma will burn out.is it true? in coming years will plasma have same fate of good old CRTs?

If on yr opinions i decide to buy plasma which models nd company will be better? I have talked to Pany showroom and they offered me 42C10 plasma at price of 46K.is it good price?

One more thing i just checked ebay and one vendor there offer same model at price of 37K! Is shopping at ebay is reliable?

1 well typical 42" plasma will consume atleast 150 watts more then a similar sized lcd,atleast 200watts more compared to todays edge lit led lcds.
so do the maths if u watch around 6hrs a day with 1 unit=Rs5,ur monthly bill be Rs 135 more compared to a normal lcd tv.
so ur plasma alone will add around Rs230 if u watch 6hrs a day.

2well burn IN isn't a issue unless of course u are determined to get it by abusing ur tv.

3 well as with any technology it will go extinct one day,plasma currently has a small share in the flat panel market.lcd sales are growing by the day,plasma sales also have lately increased but compared to the growth of lcds,its very small.
plasma tvs imo will continue to sell as long as they have the price edge.one of the primary factor the average joe buys a plasma is because of the price vs size.
once lcd start getting cheaper(which they are by the month),many lcd manufactures are building 10g and 11g lcd plants ,which will result in cheaper lcds,even the backlight used like LED are getting cheaper and better,so are lcd panel tech,so plasma sales will start to drop once they loose the price edge.

panasonic itself will soon start producing their own 42" lcd panels,they too are slowly focusing on lcds,with their NEO lcd panels slated for 2010 launch.

the panasonic C10 price is high,yes u can buy them in ebay.

I have Panny 42" PV8 from past 1.5 years and last week bought 32" Philips full HD LCD which is known as best 32" LCD and i can vouch for Panny in any case, talk about performance with DTH or playing up scaled DVD or HD or full HD content Plasma leads in all aspects.
Normally Plasmas consumes 250-350 W of electricity but even after using it for over 10 hours daily i can see hardly 150 Rs extra in my electricity bills.
Go and pickup the C10 from eBay i never faced any issue with eBay till date.
Or if budget allows buy the G10.

I have Panny 42" PV8 from past 1.5 years and last week bought 32" Philips full HD LCD which is known as best 32" LCD and i can vouch for Panny in any case, talk about performance with DTH or playing up scaled DVD or HD or full HD content Plasma leads in all aspects.
Normally Plasmas consumes 250-350 W of electricity but even after using it for over 10 hours daily i can see hardly 150 Rs extra in my electricity bills.
Go and pickup the C10 from eBay i never faced any issue with eBay till date.
Or if budget allows buy the G10.

the philps 5609 isn't the best 32" lcd,but for the price range yes.
i mean it has poor contrast compared to a plasma or VA based lcd.doesn't have the 100hz(although its still better then all the lg models with 100hz).no backlight control.

While the power difference between plasmas and LCDs may not make a big difference in your electricity bill, will your inverter be able to handle it??

This was a deal-breaker for me, as I face 2-3hr power cuts every day (load shedding) during summers. If I had bought a plasma, my inverter would have been able to sustain it only for 2-3hrs which was cutting it too close for me.

This may not be applicable for you though :)

You could have found answers to a fair bit of questions by searching the forum. So I will provide you some high level feedback where necessary.

No

Search the forum.

Salesmen go by commissions and they peddle what brings them most money. Thats what they are told to do as some of the brands pay premium over others to push their products. Dont go by what they say. Use them to show the models that you are interested in. Thats all. After that go by what you see and hear to be good.

Plasma's are losing ground to LCD because of cheap manufacturing costs and transportation. They will not burn out (like cigarettes from the sound of it :) ). Plasma will continue to be made as long as there are viable options. Also you dont have to buy a 1080P model, just get a 720P to fulfill your HD viewing needs.

For options on which brand to buy search the forums. The info in there is still relevant.

Thanks for bearing my lengthy thread nd impatiently login nd log out to check responses to my very 1st thread at Hifi.

Dont even bother buying a plasma over ebay. Its too risky and the shipping will kill you even if the deal is good. Also no manufacturer will cover the warranty aspects.

Aside from the above, you would definitely need a good audio system to enjoy HD. Have you thought of that? If not, time to start looking into that as the effects will be wasted big time if you dont.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back