Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Review

I tried to ship but it says : 'We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order'. I dont know what is the problem. Also not willing to buy an adapter for 110 to 220 v converter.
Amazon.com definitely ships to India - many have imported this player from US website. Amazon.co.uk has started shipping this item to India recently. Please check again.

Amazon.co.uk started to India ?

I mena, not the BluRay discs, other products now ? :rolleyes:
Yes. Amazon Global service has been initiated on Amazon.co.uk. Highlights:
  • Works for a limited range of products. Most "Electronics" sold and shipped by Amazon are covered.
  • Uses international shippers such as DHL, Fedex, etc.
  • Full tracking facility available
  • "Import Fees Deposit" collected up front.
  • No additional fees to be paid after checkout and confirming the order

Price of Panny 220 on Amazon US has gone up considerably from 93 USD to 150!

Wonder wats the reason. I saw it even go below 80 USD level in Jan'13.

Not just this but other items have also seen price increase, for eg Yamaha V573 AVR gone up from 299 to 413 and currently at 399. Transformers Trilogy Bluray pack gone upto 33 from 26 USD. Wii also has seen price increase from 126 to 150 USD to name a few.... :mad:

AMZ-US don't ship directly to India for most of the other products that includes electronics like BD/ DVD players. AMZ-UK has recently started international shipping as KIX has mentioned.

For importing from AMZ-US the best option is using Ishopinternational. But as Vishu has mentioned, the cost of most of the electronics including BDT220 has gone up drastically and AMZ-US has stopped stocking the same. I think this is mainly coz of the new range that is expected within a month or so.

In any case the normal trend of pricing of electronics is always downwards. So even if it is available againg in India after few weeks, it shall not cost anything beyond 10k. That's my guess, considering that all other 3D BD players from the major brands are available now at less than 10k.

I tried to ship but it says : 'We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order'. I dont know what is the problem. Also not willing to buy an adapter for 110 to 220 v converter.

Hi,
I bought this player last month from amazon.com, shipped using ishopinternational, was delivered within 10 days. I haven't made it region free. However, as this is an US product, it works on 110V, but I already had isolation transformer for my home theater, I didn't had to purchase another.

Amz-US has also started shipping lots of other stuff, including electronics like BD players. Do click the Amz Global eligible button on the left to figure out whether the items you are looking for is eligible or not.

I am facing issues with region codes of dvds on 220.
Most of the dvds that I am renting are not playing on 220 because of region code issue. The rental shop guy plays it on sony s360 and says it is alright. But on 220 it does not play.
My denon 2012 is region unlocked for dvds atleast.
Is there a way to quickly make 220 region free atleast for dvds?
Thanks.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Received BDT220 from Amazon UK. Took about 2 weeks from placing order and arrived earlier than estimated date.

I have a Sony S490, so will do a comparison.

No difference in picture quality comparing the S490 and BDT220.

Somehow I liked Sony watching the TDKR. More pop and depth to the images especially in IMAX scenes. I went in to the Panasonic picture settings and witched to "User" with all parameters set to 0. By doing that the Panasonic was on par with Sony.

Tried the analog audio outs and liked the Panasonic.

Happy with BDT220 so now will get rid of S490.

There are a lot of additional advantages with region free frimware. The region free firmware unlocks many features that are blocked for commercial and other reasons. Other than region free playback, the advanced features that one gets are:
  • DVD UOP (User operation prohibition) deactivation
    • UOP is a mechanism which allows DVD publishers to restrict the possible user avtivity during DVD video playback. This can include restrictions like prohibition from turning off subtitles, prohibition from pausing video, etc. With UOP deactivation feature UOP processing on the device is completely deactivated and you regain full control because the prohibitions are no longer applied.
  • Blu-ray PUO (Protected user operation) deactivation
    • PUO is (just like UOP for DVD video playback) a mechanism which allows Blu-ray publishers to restrict the possible user avtivity during Blu-ray playback. This can include restrictions like prohibition from turning off subtitles, prohibition from pausing video, etc. With PUO deactivation feature PUO processing on the device is completely deactivated and you regain full control because the prohibitions are no longer applied.
  • Additional audio enhancement modes
    • This feature enables additional audio enhancement modes (Digital tube sound simulations) on devices for which this functionality is generally supported, but has been disabled for marketing reasons.
  • High Clarity Sound
    • High Clarity Sound allows for crisp, clear sound recreation from digital sound signal by eliminating unwanted noise by turning off the the analog video signal output.
  • Multichannel audio reformatting
    • Multichannel audio reformatting is a feature which allows you to output 7.1 channels of sound over analog or PCM digital (HDMI), for titles that have 6.1 channels or less.
Refer the firmwareinfo website.

i recieved panasonic dmp bdt 220 today with the help of a friend. Bought the MX step down converter from sp road in Bangalore.
Time being i am not planning to go ahead with the firmware update as recommended by Just4kix. May consider that in future. I needed help on making it region free for dvd playback. I read somehwere that it can be made region free for dvd playback with the help of some universal remote.
Please let me know if anybody has made it region free for dvd playback using any specific kind of remote.

I replied to your PM. What is DVix formatted DVD? It is either a Video DVD (as with movies) or Data DVD. Are you able to play them via USB disc? Try updating to the latest firmware.

Intd in selling my Pana 220 (had it for 2 months) for 10,500/- in Mumbai if anyone intd. Imported via Amazon US.
Have posted in Classifieds too but I guess its still awaiting Mod approval.
PM if intd.

Got my Pana 220 from the US through a friend who carried it on his return trip @ just 97 USD :)

I wanted to get hold of this player when the prices were hovering around 90USD but since new 2013 models were about to be launched, I kept on waiting and then all of a sudden the prices of the 220 model were jacked up to $140 !!

Finally managed to hunt this down on Amazon Warehouse Deals. Amazon gets a lot of returns for various reasons, which they check, confirm the product condition and resale. These products are categorized as 'Like New' (involves just outer package damage), 'Very Good', 'Good'. I got this player under 'Like New' condition, which meant that only the box would have been slightly damaged and the product would have been checked by Amazon and found to be working.

And to top it off, someone had left a 8GB SD card in the player (maybe they've used it themselves). Overall, am extremely happy with the product so far.

I recently purchased this player for 99$ from Amazon warehouse deals, now waiting for it to reach Indian Shores. :)
After the product was shipped I saw the price reduced to 74$.
When i contacted Amazon Cust Support (someone from India i believe) they refunded balance of 25$ dollars, no questions asked. Really amazing service.

Just in case it matters, this is what it cost me:
My cost on Amazon was Rs. 5500 + shipping 3033 + customs 2067 = 10,600/- (did not have anyone coming down & so used Shop&ship)
& I bought a converter for 300 (which I'm throwing in with the player).

I'm travelling to the US on the 18th & plan to get the Oppo 103 & the Onkyo 616. Will just drop the oppo if the 220 remains unsold. Cheers!

http://www.hifivision.com/blu-ray-d...panasonic-dmp-bdt220-review-5.html#post474994

http://www.panasonic.co.in/wps/portal/home/products/digitalav/bluray/3dblurayplayer/DMPBDT220

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-BDT220-Integrated-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B00752R4PK

Last edited:
Quick query

Has anyone used the SD card slot on this player? I used the same yesterday for viewing pictures and it was super fast in switching between hi-res pictures. But when I switched to playing a recorded movie clip, which I believe is in AVI format, I was not able to hear the sound at all. Did not do further research into this, but was wondering whether it's by design or a flaw.

Just in case it matters, this is what it cost me:
My cost on Amazon was Rs. 5500 + shipping 3033 + customs 2067 = 10,600/- (did not have anyone coming down & so used Shop&ship)
& I bought a converter for 300 (which I'm throwing in with the player).

I'm travelling to the US on the 18th & plan to get the Oppo 103 & the Onkyo 616. Will just drop the oppo if the 220 remains unsold. Cheers!

http://www.hifivision.com/blu-ray-d...panasonic-dmp-bdt220-review-5.html#post474994

DMP-BDT220 | Panasonic

Amazon.com: Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player: Electronics

btw the new one if still available in shop is at 10.5k. BDT230 is expected anytime at the price of 12k !

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back