Plan a new PC Setup (HTPC)

A good HTPC suggestion would be :

Gigabyte GAMA785G MT -UD-2H Mother board
AMD Phenom II X2 - 550 Processor
Bundled price around Rs 12000/=

RAM =1GB x 2 ,1333Ghz DDR3
Around Rs 4000/=

The mother board has a slew of connection and it passes audio directly on Board thru it Realtek 889A chip and video is thru on board graphics also.

In addition to above, you can look to buy a 1TB HDD for Rs 4,500/= and you are on way to own a HTPC.:clapping:

A good HTPC cabinet would set you back atleast 7500/= without the SMPS. These prices are for horizontal layout one.
If you are ok with tower, then it will cost you just about 2,500 for a good one.
For the SMPS, You could look at VIP 500W gold for around 2100/=

ENJOY....:cool:

I am not sure if these have been suggested earlier.

A decent future proof video card for HD video playback
ATI Radeon 4350 HD based video card.

A must have
Asus Xonar Essence or Asus Xonar DX sound card.

Power Supply. Corsair VX450.

I am not sure if these have been suggested earlier.

A decent future proof video card for HD video playback
ATI Radeon 4350 HD based video card.

A must have
Asus Xonar Essence or Asus Xonar DX sound card.

Power Supply. Corsair VX450.

The display card is not needed if one is not going to play games. And no, a video card is not needed for smooth HD playback when you are using the 785G chipset boards for AMD.

Confused Confused...:sad::sad::sad::sad:

Please don't be..:lol:

I fully agree with Vortex:p
and
what diablo is recommening is for very high-end sound (quite expensive solution).

With the Gigabyte GAMA 785G MT UD-2H, you will get excellent video. There is no need for any add on graphic-card. It has ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphic chipset which is capable of HD 1080p. Unless, of course you would be playinig very heavy games, then only in extreme case, you might require an add on graphics card.
From the research you've already done...I don't think there is need for any confusion. The VIP 500W Gold SMPS is good and reliable and costs Rs 2100/=. This should be more than sufficient for HTPC needs.

MOBO Processor Bundle = Rs 12000/=
1TB HDD =Rs 4500/=
RAM 1GBx2 DDR3, 1333Ghz = Rs 4200/=
DVD combo writer - Rs 2400/=
Total = around Rs 23,000/=

Add Case and power supply.... and you've got a top end future proof HTPC...:clapping:

Why do you need this expensive memory??? What purpose does it serve in a htpc?

Just get a 800mhz 2gb single chip. will be enuf.

Doors,
I am not getting 1GB/2GB 800Ghz DDR3 memory. All the DDR3 RAM stick available are 1333GHhz and are in the region of Rs 2000/=. The motherboard which I am plannig has only DDR3 support.:p
I understand instead of 2GB, it better to install 1GB x 2 stick, which is more efficient(though costlier). 2GB DDR3 1333Ghz all start at Rs 2600 each.

My intial plan was exactly like you are recommending, but 800Ghs stick in DDR 3 are not availalble in Mumbai.:sad:

not exactly. Asus Xonar DX is known to have a much better audio quality than any onboard chipset available today. At 4.5K, don't think its much expensive.

I think I will still stick with the onboard Realtek 889A audio chip on the motherboard and check its sound quality first with my AVR. If its really bad or even average, then only, I will go for the Asus Xonar DX....It will be a sort of upgrade later on. ;)

Right now, I think I will recommend to save the Rs 4.5K and insteady would use that dough for a nice wireless keyboard/mice combo from Logitech.:lol: for the HTPC. I am currently looking at the Logitech DiNovo mini. (around 6.5K)

Hi Guys
Even after reading a lot of pages on this forum i am still at a loss and confused as to how to go about a htpc. i am planning to build one from scratch. i am from delhi and nehru place is a computer hardware mecca.
my requirements are:
one stop solution for movies, music, media storage for music 7 movies, internet and a little bit of gaming though not the latest one and not very hard on video. i also do not want to have an extra av receiver as i cannot afford it. that means i am looking for htpc setup which has amp for sound and upscaling for videos. i have a panasonic 5.1 htib and i will use those speakers for my movies. i understand that having a avr and hi-end improves the overall system and experience of a hometheatre as well as music. i am planning to spend around 35k for the complete htpc setup beside 32" lcd tv with full hd capacity (hitachi???). please help
thanks in advance

mukti

Hi Guys
Even after reading a lot of pages on this forum i am still at a loss and confused as to how to go about a htpc. i am planning to build one from scratch. i am from delhi and nehru place is a computer hardware mecca.
my requirements are:
one stop solution for movies, music, media storage for music 7 movies, internet and a little bit of gaming though not the latest one and not very hard on video. i also do not want to have an extra av receiver as i cannot afford it. that means i am looking for htpc setup which has amp for sound and upscaling for videos. i have a panasonic 5.1 htib and i will use those speakers for my movies. i understand that having a avr and hi-end improves the overall system and experience of a hometheatre as well as music. i am planning to spend around 35k for the complete htpc setup beside 32" lcd tv with full hd capacity (hitachi???). please help
thanks in advance

mukti

Hi Mukti,

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R - this motherboard would be one of the best options for a HTPC. I have ordered my stock, yet to purchase, it is around 4.9k in chennai and supports all latest intel processors, against costlier AMD ones.

IMHO, you can get a complete HTPC for 35k (sometimes including a blu-ray drive, if you can import it)

Regards,

Hi Mukti,

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R - this motherboard would be one of the best options for a HTPC. I have ordered my stock, yet to purchase, it is around 4.9k in chennai and supports all latest intel processors, against costlier AMD ones.

IMHO, you can get a complete HTPC for 35k (sometimes including a blu-ray drive, if you can import it)

Regards,

Thanks svenkateshsmart
But I was very keen in using the MSI Media Live Diva motherboard along with the AMD processor. i enquired from MSI India people and asked for the delaers contact here in Delhi. But as luck would have it. the delhi delare is SMC international. they said they have run oit of stock and they are not going to get this thing anymore. Now i am an a fix as i was hoping to use the built in amplifier of this MSI motherboard for the htpc. Guys, please suggest and help.
thanks

Mukti

G33 & G45 from Gigabyte are good for HTPC & HD aud too.
Some Giga brds run @4x on PCI-E 16X.

One of my desktop computer went catapult yesterday and I'm thinking about purchasing a new desktop which can do best of both worlds ie Normal Browsing, Word processing, some video editing and Media Playback.

I've already got a PS3, So wouldn't be playing games on it at all. But do you guys think I should be building a HTPC or take the normal route. My idea was that - I'm building it from scratch again so why not actually take the HTPC route ;). Let me know your views.

svenkateshsmart - Where are you sourcing your hardware from as you are from Chennai as well, I would interested to buy the hardware in couple of days from now.

One of my desktop computer went catapult yesterday and I'm thinking about purchasing a new desktop which can do best of both worlds ie Normal Browsing, Word processing, some video editing and Media Playback.

I've already got a PS3, So wouldn't be playing games on it at all. But do you guys think I should be building a HTPC or take the normal route. My idea was that - I'm building it from scratch again so why not actually take the HTPC route ;). Let me know your views.

svenkateshsmart - Where are you sourcing your hardware from as you are from Chennai as well, I would interested to buy the hardware in couple of days from now.

Hi,

I will be able to help you in getting MBD for a good price! I have some good friends in the market (ritchie street) who will procure me the models upon demand. Will pm you the details you have asked by tonight or tomorrow

Thanks,

Venkat

Hi,

I will be able to help you in getting MBD for a good price! I have some good friends in the market (ritchie street) who will procure me the models upon demand. Will pm you the details you have asked by tonight or tomorrow

Thanks,

Venkat

Thanks Venkat, Do also include the PSU & Cabinet

Hello friends

Just install my new RIG.. Sent first scrap from this RIG..

First of all thanks to all to suggest a Killer Configuration

Mentioned Config Below
Gigabyte GAMA785G MT -UD-2H Mother board
AMD Phenom II X2 - 550 Processor
Cabinet - Cooler Master CM 690
Power Suppy - Cooler Master 500 W
Ram - DDR 3 1333 mhz

but one problem i am facing unable to connect my 5.1 it's run only 2.1 i mean sound is not coming from all speakers...:yahoo::clapping:

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back