Plan a new PC Setup (HTPC)

Hi,

Howcome nobody is considering the Intel motherboards such as Intel Desktop Board DP55WG - Overview ? or any other Intel types? Intel Desktop Boards Products List

How about using this motherboard with a core2duo and asus xonar hdav 1.3?

By the way, is there any usb equivalent to asus xonar hdav 1.3 card? So that I could use with my current laptop and then use with my dedicated HTPC later?

Please suggest.

regards,

Nitin.

NO. There is no USB we can compare with ASUS

Hi Guns!

Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2H - will this board be able to deliver blu-ray audio and video?

I have the G43 version of this board on my smaller system, with a e5200 o/c at 3.33ghz.. no sweat at all, even at stock 2.5 ghz.. but cpu util is higher that a fully accelerated system. AFAIK a G41 does not accelerate HD x264 & VC1; g43 accelerates vc-1 and partially x264 and G45 does both fully. theres a gigabyte g45 board which has the ALC889 which is pretty much one of the better onboard sound solution. I use the optical out since my recievers are non HDMI.. but the bios on the g43 does implement a PAVP so HD audio in some form should be possible. but even non HD-Audio sounds pretty good!

cheers

Last edited:
Hi,

Currently, I am using the Gigabyte GA-EG45M-DS2H bought locally. I am quite satisifed with its performance. I dont know whether you are referring to the same model.

Cheers!

Hi,

Currently, I am using the Gigabyte GA-EG45M-DS2H bought locally. I am quite satisifed with its performance. I dont know whether you are referring to the same model.

Cheers!

yup, I was.. it's a board i had wanted to buy.. but settled instead for the EG43 due to budget constraints at that time..

How have your connected it on the audio front & how's the sound?

yup, I was.. it's a board i had wanted to buy.. but settled instead for the EG43 due to budget constraints at that time..

How have your connected it on the audio front & how's the sound?

Hi,

I am using HDMI for video and optical cable for audio for mp3 and dvd rips and when I watch HD rips, I change the settings and choose HDMI audio. I find both at par as far as surround goes, but the sound coming through HDMI sounds bright.

Thatz the main reason still I am procrastinating to buy a HD media player, but that has its own benefits.

Cheers!

Hi Folks,

Monitor is changed bought Benq 24" Full HD and enjoy....

Happy with performance....:clapping::yahoo:

Any thoughts over the 890GX chipset from AMD..
I was about to buy the ASUS 785 EVO, but saw that 890GX would be available soon, which supports the 6 core phenom..
the ASUS board based on 890GX has the core unlock button build on the mobo itself..
so i have decided to wait for another month..

Any thoughts over the 890GX chipset from AMD..
I was about to buy the ASUS 785 EVO, but saw that 890GX would be available soon, which supports the 6 core phenom..
the ASUS board based on 890GX has the core unlock button build on the mobo itself..
so i have decided to wait for another month..

Can't understand the reason for Hexacore - If it's just a HTPC Config I don't see a reason for it. Ideally you should be looking at smaller footprint.

how much is your budget..... ?? also depends u want it to look good or work good..htpc..u just need a normal dual core processor..as quadcore makes no sense coz the application that will play the bd or hd files are two threaded and will make use of two core capacity as max..

tips :

cabinet cooling is very important as you have to run for long hours..
smps ( cooler master 600)
processor ( core2 duo) else if u want amd based
mobo for nvidia based my suggestion as they got onboard video/hdmi/hdmi out onboard

later on u have option to upgrade video card..
good sound card... for better decoding and clarity..

htpc needs performance but dont waste money just to build a power conf..that u wont be able to use ..

also instead of 1tb hdd go for 2 x500 gig on raid 0 ..

then see the speeds......
i got 3x250 (seagate 7200 rpm barracuda)

also get the cabinet that have front to back airflow at it will be more quiter and efficient..

chk for zebronics bijli( name seems to be cheap but its a nice cabinet )
front blue led lit 120mm fan keeps the system cool..u can attach a xtra fan behind if u want..

also dont for for smaller size cabinets as later on you wud not be able to upgrade the video card as they are big..

HTPC IS FOR HD VIDEO AND AUDIO SO SPEND LESS FOR WHAT IS JUST REQUIRED AND SPEND MORE FOR WHAT CAN MAKE UR EXPERIENCE BETTER... VIDEO CARD.. GO FOR ATI RADEON IF U ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THE ONBOARD CARDS..
FOR VIDEO CARDS GO FOR ATI...THEY ARE SURPASSING NVIDIA NETIME..ALSO DONT THINK
THAT I AM GIVING TWO OPTIONS...U CAN USE AN ATI CARD ON NVIDIA MOBO***
\m just suggesting what is good and worth for ur money...

Last edited:
HTPC IS FOR HD VIDEO AND AUDIO SO SPEND LESS FOR WHAT IS JUST REQUIRED AND SPEND MORE FOR WHAT CAN MAKE UR EXPERIENCE BETTER... VIDEO CARD.. GO FOR ATI RADEON IF U ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THE ONBOARD CARDS..

I was very happy to read until this - Why do we need a Graphics Card for a HTPC unless the OP will be playing games. A decent board like Gigabyte GAMA UD 2H should be suffice isn't it?

how much is your budget..... ?? also depends u want it to look good or work good..htpc..u just need a normal dual core processor..as quadcore makes no sense coz the application that will play the bd or hd files are two threaded and will make use of two core capacity as max..

tips :

cabinet cooling is very important as you have to run for long hours..
smps ( cooler master 600)
processor ( core2 duo) else if u want amd based
mobo for nvidia based my suggestion as they got onboard video/hdmi/hdmi out onboard

later on u have option to upgrade video card..
good sound card... for better decoding and clarity..

htpc needs performance but dont waste money just to build a power conf..that u wont be able to use ..

also instead of 1tb hdd go for 2 x500 gig on raid 0 ..

then see the speeds......
i got 3x250 (seagate 7200 rpm barracuda)

also get the cabinet that have front to back airflow at it will be more quiter and efficient..

chk for zebronics bijli( name seems to be cheap but its a nice cabinet )
front blue led lit 120mm fan keeps the system cool..u can attach a xtra fan behind if u want..

also dont for for smaller size cabinets as later on you wud not be able to upgrade the video card as they are big..

thanks for the suggestions.. give me some more options on the cabinet and cooling solution..
regarding my current config.. I wanted to go with AMD as it is VFM..
1) Processor Phenom II 555 - Potentially unlockable to QuadCore
2) mobo : I read that 785 is the best VFM chipset..but as 785 supports only 1 PCI x16 or ASROCK 785 which has 2 PCI x8 , was tempted to go with 790GX
which has dual PCI x16, but none of 790GX were rated better than 785GX in terms of OC, so was almost final with either ASUS/ASROCK, when i saw the new 890GX which would be futureproof(remember 790GX has been running since 2007) also it has USB3 support and 2 PCI x16
3) I will purchase GPU as I intend to play graphic intensive games..
for now it is 5850 ( If i decide to purchase it after 6 months then maybe 5870) 5xxx series has support to bit stream HD audio (True HD)
4) HDD 500GB- Not finalized, but between WD,Seagate,Samsung
5) Cabinet - Need suggestions
6) RAM - DDR3 not finalized

Can't understand the reason for Hexacore - If it's just a HTPC Config I don't see a reason for it. Ideally you should be looking at smaller footprint.

teky, i dont want a hexcore right now.. i wd be getting a phenom x II, it is just for futureproofing, if i can get that in added 1-2k, why not..

teky, i dont want a hexcore right now.. i wd be getting a phenom x II, it is just for futureproofing, if i can get that in added 1-2k, why not..

It would be nice to be future proof, But why waste power on something which you're never going to use ie only Video playback. However you want to play games as well which is a different ball game. Look into the below thread where sam9s has posted his config.

HTPC Thread

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back