Please Suggest BD player under 15K

vivgup

Hi guys,

Just purchased an Epson TW3600 for my (first) budget home theater.
Also bought Onkyo AVR TR313 with SKS 528 5.1 channel speaker set.
Now just need a good player to complete the set-up.
Had initially thought of buying a sony player under 10K, but would be grateful for any suggestions for a better player if I up the budget.
My usage - Movies 60% - Music 40%.
Thanks!

A Regfree BDP can be Toshiba BDX3200KB(from amazon.uk).I cant say about music performance,but for <6k ,its 3D,region free.

Toshiba BDX3200KB is good. Have not tried music and hence cant comment. However it will cost you about 10k - its 3D + region free + very silent (atleast for my ears) :)
BTW, marantz has a BDP around 18k. check hifimart. I am not sure whether it is region free

Last edited:
Amazon.uk says it will play region 2 discs only.
Also, as Toshiba does not sell this in India, there's unlikely to be warranty or support. Should that be an issue? Plus as I'm away from a Metro, customs will be a headache.
Will an entry level Marantz be better than Sony S380 / S480 or a region A Panasonic?

it will be region free by firmware upgrade.very easy.many members are using this with ease.okay if you do want hassle any import hassle.even I was going to order this.somehow amazon.uk showing cant ship to this addreass.still trying.
sony s 380 if avilbale in 6k.buy it.
cant say about entry level maranz/onkyo br player rather than same priced sony/samsung quality.

urs need..upscaling??hd audio bit streaming??3d??

Amazon.uk says it will play region 2 discs only.
Also, as Toshiba does not sell this in India, there's unlikely to be warranty or support. Should that be an issue? Plus as I'm away from a Metro, customs will be a headache.
Will an entry level Marantz be better than Sony S380 / S480 or a region A Panasonic?

1. It can be made region free with firmware (I think it is Australian firmware).
2. Even if Toshiba is selling this model in India there will be no warranty for imports. There will be issue if your 1% fate takes over your 99% luck. So far non of the forum members had issue. Hence there are more reasons to smile and shop :)
3. I dont see customs a problem. You have to take the Amazon--> SnS (Aramex) route for shipment. There is another thread that explains the same. Simply put the BD player cannot be shipped to India by Amazon. Hence you buy shipment service from Aramex (called ShipAndShop) where you get a address in UK. You ask amazon to ship to your UK address and SnS will redirect your item to your India address. They will take care of the customs ... all you have to do is burn the vitamin-M :)
It costed me around 10k, in your case it could be atmost 1k more... still VFM
4. One of our members got the Marantz. You can get feedback from them. Just make sure your needs are addressed (like 3D etc) which ever BD player you buy

For small items such as BDP, do not worry about warranty. Anyway warranty is only for a year. I have been using Sony s360 that I purchased in US in 2009. Nothing has happened till date.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

@Prosenjit
Upscaling - Definitely
HD Audio - Yes, but secondary.
3D - No.

An idea how the DVD upscaling in the Sony S380 is? Also, is it a no-buy if available at about 8K? If yes, what else?

Thinking about the Marantz UD5005 - 17k at Hifi mart.
Should I buy Region A or Region C?

Hi Baiju,

Any idea whether for Marantz UD5005 region A as sold by Hifimart, DVD region will be locked for US only? If it can play DVDs available in India too, then this would be the ideal buy for most of us looking for a good BD player wihtin these prices.

Oher owners - please help us out with your inputs.

Thanksm

Most of the Indian bluray and dvds are region free. So there won't be any playback problem with Marantz A region player.

Adding to what Baiju said,

- The Marantz BDP as said will locked as Region A/Region 1 and NTSC only (most likely)
- It will play all stuff sourced from US
- Indian DVDs are 98% region free and NTSC; hence no issues
- The player will not play PAL DVDs if it conforms to NTSC only; so make sure that DVD cover mentions the video system and buy accordingly

Guys, thanks a lot for your help.
I did check out a few Indian sites selling blurays - nearly all were specified as region free - So went ahead and ordered the UD5005 Region A from hifimart.
The online User Manual says that it plays PAL discs as well, but did read on another forum that it does not. Anyway, if 98% Indian DVD's are NTSC, then not much to worry about there.

I have purchased the Indian Panasonic DMP-BDT220GW at a discounted price. This is a Region C/5 player. As expected it does not play other discs.

I intend to make it region free with firmware update. I shall create a new thread on it, if this happens.

Last edited:
I am about to get a Toshiba BDX3200 from Singapore through a friend.can it be made region free.

Originally this FW was for Australian model ,I guess most of Australian products are sourced from Singapore.SO it should work.also check the part no,if Singapore model is BDx3200KY,then certainly will work.
Toshiba BDX3200, regionfree DVD and multiregion BD | AVForums.com - UK Online
You can ask in that forum.

Last post from Singapore web confirms it-
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/house-displays-226/cinavia-free-3d-bluray-players-3762012.html

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back