Pls suggest a good SSD for my HP laptop

anm

I have an old windows laptop, core 2 duo, with 2GB RAM. want to increase performance, battery life while reducing some heat.
do you think an SSD will be a good thing to try?

Pls suggest good ones, and possibly point to a deal.

An SSD will improve the performance and there is no doubt about it. SSD is the best upgrade i have done to my computer so far. In your case i dont know what OS you use. 2gb memory can be another bottleneck for some OS.
Since your laptop is old there is no need to go for the new generation 6Gbps drives. I believe the cheapest available in the local market are Kingston drives. They start at 30GB. A 64GB comes for 4k+.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
RAM will increase performance boost the most. SSD will only help with faster boot, otherwise daily performance will not improve by much. If you want a faster PC with more responsive applications, faster browsing (with a more responsive browser) then increase the RAM.

You can upgrade to an SSD too for even more benefits but you will get more benefits with more RAM.

To reduce heat, check out the Barracuda Green Hard Drive.

SSD will improve the boot time and working for applications that frequently read and write to disc. Photo editing applications like adobe photoshop is one such example.

Another advantage is that defragmentation won't be required ever.

I use SSD in my desktop for operating system, for applications and as scratch disc for Adobe photoshop. Data is on Hard disc.

outlook is the most used app :) which is does a lot of disk activity.
Browsing, lot of tabs open at any given time, chrome does a lot of disk caching it seems.

OS is Windows 7 32 bit.
RAM is 2GB. Can ask for an increase to 3GB.
Actually, I am thinking of moving my email/ documents to a slimmer lighter tablet, while keeping laptop for linux/ lamp

A suggestion in my opinion...

Upgrading to a SSD will for sure improve your system responsiveness and reduce the read-write time drastically.
The OS will boot faster and applications will load in a jiffy. You will feel the difference with the first start and especially working with multiple applications simultaneously.

Additionally, increase RAM to 4GB if possible, will decrease the page file usage on the disk known as virtual memory.
Windows uses this page file excessively when the system needs to do more work to store data in the RAM and the physical memory available to the system is less.

Even if you are not adding more RAM, a SSD upgrade will make your system much faster and responsive.

Suggestion on SSD:
You can upgrade to a 64GB SSD if you are looking only for system boot+browsing and mails. But if you are using this laptop for other purposes too, then you may have to consider more storage space and can opt for >100GB.

When you upgrade to what you feel is best for your system, do post your experience with the working of your laptop.

Just an addendum to what has already been said.

* SSD will definitely be largest improvement. However, please make sure that you tweak your OS settings for SSD usage. Tips available on web

* RAM, page file size, hibernate settings and virtual memory are related. To take advantage of RAM to the fullest (for > 3 GB cases) use Windows 7 64-bit. Larger RAM systems can do away with Virtual memory all together

For your case 64GB is more than adequate (OS and few most used apps on SSD should be fine), unless you are avid gamer or use virtual cd drives.

I'd suggest sticking to intel SSDs - the lowest failure rate of the lot. On a desktop, where you can have a backup drive, you can still compromise but not on a laptop.

SSDs are available in two modes - Synchronous and Asynchronous. The former is faster but costly while the latter one is low cost at lowered speed. Also there are models with SATA3 and SATA2 interface, SATA3 being faster. I am also searching for an SSD and after considering many options I came to the conclusion that Intel SSD 330 60GB is a very VFM one. It is SATA3 and Synchronous and is priced just 4.5K.

I have an old windows laptop, core 2 duo, with 2GB RAM. want to increase performance, battery life while reducing some heat.
do you think an SSD will be a good thing to try?

Pls suggest good ones, and possibly point to a deal.

before you upgrade and check the system configuration..

SSD yes gives you all the benefits mentioned.. does the laptop mobo support that kinda speed first of all..

will it harness the 6 Gbps band width of the SSD ??

if yes.. go get it.. if no.. you are buying a ferrari to be used as regular car..

yes the performace wil lbe better. heat wil be less but will the price paid for it be justified.

i also understand that due to high HDD prices they gap has reduced between hdd and Sdd however once the prices are down a 320GB 2.5 HDD will be around 1600 add a laptop cooler and you should be good.

SSDs are available in two modes - Synchronous and Asynchronous. The former is faster but costly while the latter one is low cost at lowered speed. Also there are models with SATA3 and SATA2 interface, SATA3 being faster. I am also searching for an SSD and after considering many options I came to the conclusion that Intel SSD 330 60GB is a very VFM one. It is SATA3 and Synchronous and is priced just 4.5K.

I'd go for this one, even though your laptop does not support SATA3. The price is very tempting. And Intel SSDs are indeed the most reliable ones.

I use a 64GB OCZ Agility III with my HP dm1 (too much SSD for it, I know) and I'd support getting an SSD all the way. You'll get more backup and there will be lesser heat. Not to mention better protection for knocks while using the laptop.

is it a trustworthy site?
I guess 128GB is what I need.

Yup, Delta Page is quite trustworthy. They've been around for a long time, and they are on Techenclave too!

I'd not really store too much data on the SSD. Esp. Music and movies. Documents should be fine. My reason is that we should use SSDs for what they do best - - enhance speed and performance. Storing the other stuff on the SSD would be a somewhat non-vfm deal. Unless you don't want to carry around a portable HDD with the other stuff in it :)

What I'm saying is that a 60gb or 80gb SSD should do. Spend the rest (budgeted for the higher capacity SSD) on a portable HDD. IMHO, of course.

true. I would only like to keep the essentials on the hard disk. Movie/ music can be in external USB drive.
Need to reserve 20GB for windows+installed programs. About 20GB for documents and emails. About 10-15GB for a virtual machine that I keep locally.

Then for a linux partition (or VM) with LAMP stack and PHP code and dev database etc.
So 120GB should do decently well.

is it a trustworthy site?
I guess 128GB is what I need.

Delta Peripherals is a known online IT store. I have previously purchased a few products like belkin optical cable from them and the service was very good.

I forgot to add earlier that I've bought a motherboard, some RAM and some other misc stuff from them over the last two years. I've never had issues.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back