Post your latest AV purchase(s)......

Thanks santhol for this information, one more thing whats the difference in shopping from ebay india and ebay US (technically I mean). How does the customes and shipping work while shopping from ebay US. I am about to start buying certain very specific things for the new house, I am about to start so any help will be highly appriciated. While I am also venturing in to the site to see the terms and conditions.....and further options that might help...

Hi,

The differences are ebay.in has a buyer protection program called paisapay and ebay.com has "paypal." In ebay.in, the seller has to ship within 7 days, and in ebay.com, within 10 days.

Regarding buying from ebay.com, i.e., US. Very few sellers, especially huge resellers and wholesale resellers, will have the option for worldwide shipping, and majority will not offer overseas shipping. Even if the seller ships to India, he will take care of only the shipping charges and not the customs. You will have to take care of the customs. For example, if the item is shipped through USPS, then if it is stuck at customs, you will receive a memo and you may have to go there personally and get it cleared or using an agent. If the seller ships the item through a freight forwarder or companies like DHL, Fedex, they will pay the customs and other charges on behalf of you and door-deliver the item after collecting the necessary charges from you, which will be, of course, exuberant.

Two options when buying from a US seller
1. Wholesale/retail seller - No escape from duty, as they will attach original invoice and they will not undervalue the item under any circumstances.
2. Individual sellers - Most of them will be okay to undervalue the items, and yes, you can save a lot from customs, but there is a risk involved in getting damaged items, etc., as the seller will know that we would not go beyond our limits to solve problems or return the items all the way back to us. There is a possibility of getting cheated.

To avoid the hassle in the second option, you can use a freight forwarding company like Borderlinx, comgateway, globeshopper, vpost, etc., who will provide you with a local US address and you can get the item shipped to that address and get it delivered to your doorstep and so the seller will not take chance to cheat you. Otherwise, while dealing with individual sellers, you can get your item shipped to a local US address of your friends or relatives, get the item tested, remove the original invoice and ask them to ship the item to India using USPS with a bonafide letter stating that it is a gift.

Also, whether the item is used or new, it is immaterial as far as the customs duty goes. Importing an used item is prohibited and the customs has the right to confiscate the item, with the only exception of "capital goods", which are, for example, machineries, sewing machine, power tools, etc.

There is a thread started by me to calculate the customs value, regardless of the items you buy other than a laptop or cellphone, you will be paying close to 25% to 30% depending on the nature of the item.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

recently bought

LG LH60YR ( aka lg jazz theatre) 42inch full hd lcd

feature : 42inch , response : 2 ms ,200hz, usb for divx , full hd**

54k excite electronic , hyderabad.. searched all stores for prices and then lot of bargain.

z-5500 logitech for 17,500 (505w rms, 1000w peak power, thx certified digital5.1)

goin for a xtremer soon

Just bought couple of BD's which were long pending for me

Toy Story 1 & 2 (Blu-Ray & DVD Combi Pack)
Bolt (Blu-Ray & DVD Combi Pack)
Tinkerbell
Wall-E
Ratatouille

Everything bought from dvd.co.uk, There is a BOGOF offer running currently and hence picked up these titles. Link for anyone interested

Just bought couple of BD's which were long pending for me

Toy Story 1 & 2 (Blu-Ray & DVD Combi Pack)
Bolt (Blu-Ray & DVD Combi Pack)
Tinkerbell
Wall-E
Ratatouille

Everything bought from dvd.co.uk, There is a BOGOF offer running currently and hence picked up these titles. Link for anyone interested

they ship to india??, how much in total for a BR including everythng???

they ship to india??, how much in total for a BR including everythng???

I don't think so Sam - In today's conversion rate it comes close to 3,500/-. It's pretty good as Disney BD's always command a premium & an additional DVD as well. Works out close to 600 INR per BD.

Ok my new purchase.....

HDD Docking Station

j5kui0.jpg

No story behind this, I wanted a way to connect by internal sata drive without opening the case, one option was a HDD casing other was a docking station, I went of Docking station because of the features it offered....

4 in 1 card reader :
CF Slot: CF-I/CF-II/Extreme CF/Extreme III CF/Ultra II CF/HS CF/MD.
MS Slot: MS/MS DUO/MS PRO/MS PRO DUO/MS MagicGate/MS MagicGate PRO/MS MagicGate DUO/ MS MagicGate PRO DUO/Extreme MS PRO/Extreme III MS PRO/Ultra II MS PRO/HS MS MagicGate PRO/HS MS MagicGate PRO DUO/MS ROM/MS Select.
SD Slot: SD/ Mini SD/ Extreme SD/Extreme III SD/Ultra II SD/MMC 1/MMC 2/MMC 4.0/RS MMC/HS RS MMC/ MICRO SD(T-FLASH).
XD-Momery Slot: XD-Memory.
Specifications:

* Standable, Convenient and Trendy Design,
* Support CF, SD, XD and MS SLOT ,
* ( Mini SD, T-flash/Micro SD Adapter required) for fast multimedia files access.
* USB 1.1, USB 2.0, SATA I, and SATA II Compatible
* Hi speed USB 2.0 Data Transfer Rate Up to 480Mb/s(Max), SATA II Transfer Rate Up to 3Gb/s
* Supports all 2.5"/3.5" SATA Hard Disk Drive UP TO 1T
* One Touch Backup (OTB )function
* Plugs and plays is hot-swappable
* Power LED indicator
* USB 1.1, USB 2.0, SATA I, and SATA II Compatible
* Supports 2.5"/3.5" SATA Hard Disk Drive up to 1T
* Supports CF, SD, XD and MS CARD
* Plugs and plays is hot-swappable
* One Touch Backup(OTB) function
* Supports most popular OS including windows 7/Vista/XP/2000 and MAC OS

Price 2000 INR
Vender :: Any one from Nehru Place.

Last edited:
Ok my new purchase.....

HDD Docking Station

No story behind this, I wanted a way to connect by internal sata drive without opening the case, one option was a HDD casing other was a docking station, I went of Docking station because of the features it offered....

Price 2000 INR

It will external power,isnt it?

Ok my new purchase.....

HDD Docking Station

j5kui0.jpg

Price 2000 INR

The USB 2.0 is too slow for data transfer. I am waiting for the prices of USB 3.0 based HDD docking stations to come down. Right now, they sell for about $125.

Ok my new purchase.....

HDD Docking Station

Price 2000 INR
Congrats on your purchase Sam.

Knowing your profession\job, I am sure you have thought about all this before buying, so just checking. Just make sure you use this only for data transfer(that too backup kind of usage). Do not use these for longer periods as these docks have heat related issues. If your requirement is to use on a regular basis, go for a casing. This will also protect your disks from failure caused by vibrations etc.

Last edited:
Did you get it from alliance?
you got good price considering in Mumbai.

Yes. Alliance4. They r shifting shop to goregaon soon.
Sales person told me that its Quad 11L2. But I can see only Quad 11L at rear. How much do they differ ? Quad 11L and 11L2.

Congrats on your purchase Sam.

Knowing your profession\job, I am sure you have thought about all this before buying, so just checking. Just make sure you use this only for data transfer(that too backup kind of usage). Do not use these for longer periods as these docks have heat related issues. If your requirement is to use on a regular basis, go for a casing. This will also protect your disks from failure caused by vibrations etc.

Well frankly speaking did not give much of a thought......but yes its only used for data transfer. I have a spare sata which I use to transfer/share data. I use the station mostly to copy files from my laptop (which is 24x7 downloading stuff) to my PC. I think I will get a casing as well for the same so that I can use the drive as an external source as well.....:)

The USB 2.0 is too slow for data transfer. I am waiting for the prices of USB 3.0 based HDD docking stations to come down. Right now, they sell for about $125.

I do not use usb 2.0 to transfer data. Docking station also has an e-sata port and my mobo also has e-sata so all I got was an e-sata cable and I get almost the same speed as an internal drive.......

Interesting thread.

I picked up a Benq HD LCD last week from someone who had used it for under 2 months and was relocating, for 28K. Have just hooked it up with my Popcorn Hour bought from the US for $110 but wasnt able to use it until last week. Both are working very well. My SB Duet bought the same day as Santhosh is yet to reach me($203), I plan to encourage my sons in the US to use it and bring it back with me when my wife and I go to NY this summer.

Hi,

Here my latest addition goes:
Projector Screen:
Screen size: 84"
Feature: Motorized, remote-controlled.
Type: Glass-bead.
Brand: Snowwhite.
Source: China
Mode of Purchase: Imported
Total cost: (will confirm later):lol:

This screen along with my optoma HD65 does a great job, and I am enjoying my new big screen experience.

I suggest that all serious HT fans must own a PJ at some point, it is an amazing experience. Especially, it greatly enhances the surround sound effects, if not technically, at least, psychologically.

Cheers!

Jimi Hendrix - Valleys of Neptune (180g Vinyl) Ooooooh it sounds good!!!!

jimi%20hendrix%20valleys%20of%20neptune-thumb.jpg

Jimi Hendrix - First Rays of the Rising Sun (180g Vinyl)

album-first-rays-of-the-new-rising-sun.jpg

Gees!!! Damn good mastering on these!

Picked them both up from Amoeba Records on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles for $23 each plus tax. If you don't know about Amoeba, probably the biggest record store in the United States. They have 3 on the west coast and LA is the largest. Paradise for folks like us!

^^ Jimi Hendrix...mmm isnt he the one that was voted the greatest guitarist of all time....

Back