Pre order new LP records for manufacture

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an amazing world, where we feel that Rs700 for a new good pressing of an LP has no takers but we have people selling a used dirty old pressing of the same LP at US $699.30 or Rs 20,000 :)

Maybe, we should connect NGH, bollywoodvinyl, etc. with Sony/Saregama and let them source these LPs and sell it to us at a bit higher price. They are charging 2K+ right now for most titles.

Last edited:
Hope all agree with me on that the outcome vinyl should be in audiophile sounding and physical feel. So that we may think only 140 - 180g vinyl.

Second I suggest before proceeding to ordering & Pressing, the Master should be auditioned in a decent setup and approved by a small team (3-5 people) of Forum members.

In view of supporting this wonderful initiative, I will take 5LP of any one tittle which the group deciding to proceed, if the price is about 700 - 800 each.

Nice to see so much interest..but the mechanics/financials of this is very simple
we first need to be able to create the critical mass for the 300 copies x 850 copies ie 255K as has been worked out in post #135

even at 3K per record this comes to 80 records minimum commitment and we are not even 1/2 way there

once we are sure of that then we can work out everything else but without that this is a nonstarter

Nice to see so much interest..but the mechanics/financials of this is very simple
we first need to be able to create the critical mass for the 300 copies x 850 copies ie 255K as has been worked out in post #135

even at 3K per record this comes to 80 records minimum commitment and we are not even 1/2 way there

once we are sure of that then we can work out everything else but without that this is a nonstarter

Let's leave the number of LPs for a moment. If we do not raise 255K, then this is non-starter. Agreed. If we focus on raising the funds for 255K, we should try to have 300 records cut instead of lesser.

I am at office and not able to access the spreadsheet. How many FMs have signed up to the list?

Let's take a poll if each of them is willing buy
- any title that is finalized? Given that we are trying to get a really popular title for pressing.
- How many records does each one willing to buy?
- if FMs are okay with setting a minimum order quantity of 2 records.

We can also check with Hifimart and other dealer members who sell TT, if they are willing to take a few records to fund the deficit. It would be nice for people who get a complimentary record if they purchase an entry level TT.

I think that the key here is the title and quality. Once the title is finalized, there would be more clarity on the real number of records.

Let's leave the number of LPs for a moment. If we do not raise 255K, then this is non-starter. Agreed. If we focus on raising the funds for 255K, we should try to have 300 records cut instead of lesser.

I am at office and not able to access the spreadsheet. How many FMs have signed up to the list?

Let's take a poll if each of them is willing buy
- any title that is finalized? Given that we are trying to get a really popular title for pressing.
- How many records does each one willing to buy?
- if FMs are okay with setting a minimum order quantity of 2 records.

We can also check with Hifimart and other dealer members who sell TT, if they are willing to take a few records to fund the deficit. It would be nice for people who get a complimentary record if they purchase an entry level TT.

I think that the key here is the title and quality. Once the title is finalized, there would be more clarity on the real number of records.

32 for Sajda and 26 for hare rama hare krishna with some FMs already ordering 2

I agree its better not to talk about Nos as it is causing confusion..lets talk about funding the 225000 ( or whatever) needed

1. Unless we fund for the min Lot/Value this is a non starter
2. Currently there is no way we can fund it with the current Nos from within HFV
3. Hence we need a "Partner" to reach the "magic cost"
4. After we do the we can figure the other points including how we can get any returns etc... but without 1/2/3 this is a nonstarter :sad:

If 30 HFV members come together and invest for 10 copy of LP each, we may get through as a Group Buy. In turn these members can hold or sell their copies to purchasers on HFV or online sites like Amazon, EBay, etc (may be some profit). For this :-

1). The quality of vinyl should be 180gms
2). Pressing should be audiophile quality
3). Master used should be from Analogue or High Res.

It is a good idea to start from Latest Music such as Ashique2 or may be Sajda.

Then next Group Buy .....

Come on friends it is a question of Rs. 8.5k per head considering @ Rs. 850/- cost per LP. It is like investing in shares & we know it will have higher value as demand increases as the time passes by.

So who all are in the Group?
Consider me in.
Request someone to take a lead.

Good initiative. Hope it works .

Crowd funding might be different ? There you raise money for a project. Here you are 'buying' something for yourself ! You are funding your own desire !:)

Hi Prem,

I will take at least 10 copies of any title for myself and friends. I know you have a sound knowledge in musical matters, so I can go by your choice. Pls take the lead and decide one good title for this shubh beginning.

In addition I can help by providing office/godown space (At New Bombay, out side octroi limits) and packing/handling facilities if needed.
Cheers!!
Regards,
shafic

My suggestion is to cut down to just 1 title. Best of A R Rahman

Dealers would also be probably interested in this title as I expect international demand for it.

Thanks Shafic for your extremely generous offer to provide warehouse and packing facilities. Truly appreciated.

Last edited:
I will also pick a few to help with the funding. I don't buy local discs generally ( stopped a very long time ago !) . But I think this is a great attempt and it needs full support. I have several hundred vinyl discs which are used occasionally just for old times sake and albums that are not available in 'acceptable' CD form. But I don't really plan to add much vinyl to the collection. Digital is superior in so many ways that analog can't match ! Just has to do with the physics of reproduction. You can't beat that ! A lot depends on what you listen to and how you do so. But it's finally the same situation. You pick what sounds good to you ....and not what others like !
Having said that, I do like some newer recordings especially some from AR Rahman ! While I was at one of my jobs ( TV related) my colleagues used to say this new (young) guy ( Rahman ) is going to be very famous ! It happened !

Last edited:
Reactions: arj
[emoji106] .would be great if all of you could update the google excel with the number .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am keeping only the below. have put in my 5 for each. please update and we can see which one would make sense to go with

Hare Rama Hare Krishna
Best of Sajda Jagjit Lata
Best of Ilayraja
Best of Rehman

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NZ9TahTjeCxoiqsFHh7PkTLbF_NPC_o-mRgsLGprDUE/edit?usp=sharing

Updated my count 5 each of any title other than Hare Rama Hare Krishna.

Attn MODs: Is it possible to edit and add the google docs URL to the first post on the thread? This might garner some more attention. Only 30 FMs have so far entered their options. I am sure that there are at least 15-20 more FMs who are into Vinyls.

I think investment route is the best, I am willing to commit 30000 to this project we identify three records and a few members invest 10 record each and as said earlier they will sell

my choice would be

Aashiqui 2
Best of AR Rehman
Sajda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back