Pre order new LP records for manufacture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have entered my choices in the excel sheet. Hope this works. Brilliant idea. Could consider a whatsapp group as we move forward.

Just checked the Excel sheet. The numbers are too small to fructify. May be you could consider a Kickstarter campaign. It is not available for Indian residents but if you have a US citizen/ greencard holder as a trustworthy (close) friend / relative, you can consider doing it. Just my 2 cents.

Even I don't see anything coming out of this. You will at most land up with an order of 40-50 lps for a title

I haven't entered my choices yet. I am based in the US. I think that this initiative is great but needs to be opened up somehow. Hare Rama Hare Krishna was reissued on vinyl in Europe a couple of years ago. It wasn't a great pressing but it sold really really well. Some titles are going to do that. Others would sell if people knew about them. Maybe we need to do a few cross posts in other forums (blu-ray.com / zulm.net / steve hoffman forum / audiokarma - I am sure others will add more). I think the numbers can be reached easily. Kickstarter is a great idea ... easy to manage under the kickstarter or indegogo mantle. Anyway - just trying to think about how this would work if we reached out beyond this forum to generate interest. Worldwide shipping / distribution etc. how could that be managed?

Problem is we gave too many options to choose. We can short list few titles and get others to join in just for the sake of bringing out vinyl. Lets not give up. Wait for master Tapes lists. may be there are some hidden gems in it.

Srinivasan if possible please ask if electronically processed stereo if done was it done while mastering vinyl or was done on master tape ? Also for current titles what specs do they record digitally. Bit depth and sample rate.

Regards

Probably just look at 4 titles on that list?

Hare Rama, Sajda, Best of Ilairaja, Best of Rahman and see how it goes?

If we want to further reduce it, maybe Sajda and Best of Rahman?

Current count

Hare Rama Hare Krishna 25
Bobby mono lp 18
Best of Sajda Jagjit Lata 30
Aashiqui 2 20
Best of Ilayraja 23
Best of Arijit 16
Best of Rehman 24

So it might make sense to drop the 2 in red, But still considering we want to be around 180 minimum and are jsut around 15% of that, we do need additional help from Pro's and since the "help(s)" will be talking about 85% of the nos it makes sense to hear from them on what they can sell and bring that back into our group

If folks in Delhi/Kolkata/Chennai/Hyd/mum/Pune can also talk to any distributor they know of, do see if they would be willing for 20-50 nos of each of the above ( or solicit inputs from them) . Maybe we can still reach 200-300.

Else we will be stuck here.

Also a market for LPs might be abroad..any idea of who would be the distributors for that ?

Last edited:
I have updated the spreadsheet with my choices. Missing Mirza Ghalib.

I think we can put whatsapp number in the same sheet.

Maybe we need to do a few cross posts in other forums (blu-ray.com / zulm.net / steve hoffman forum / audiokarma - I am sure others will add more). I think the numbers can be reached easily.

Online forums are great but to reach the numbers, the message should go on mass media like paper or television. Since these titles are Indian, the prime target group would be based in India, predominantly living in urban areas. A small article on a Daily with National presence like Times of India would do wonders. Anyone with contacts in media?

May be you could consider a Kickstarter campaign.

Kickstarter is a great idea ... easy to manage under the kickstarter or indegogo mantle.

For the uninitiated, Kickstarter and Indegogo are crowd funding platforms. I've seen even ridiculous ideas get good funding there. Moreover, the exposure for your project is tremendous.

Problem is we gave too many options to choose. We can short list few titles and get others to join in just for the sake of bringing out vinyl.

Current count

Hare Rama Hare Krishna 25
Bobby mono lp 18
Best of Sajda Jagjit Lata 30
Aashiqui 2 20
Best of Ilayraja 23
Best of Arijit 16
Best of Rehman 24

So it might make sense to drop the 2 in red, But still considering we want to be around 180 minimum and are just around 15% of that, we do need additional help from Pro's and since the "help(s)" will be talking about 85% of the nos it makes sense to hear from them on what they can sell and bring that back into our group.

Yes, reducing the number of titles is the way to go.

It's interesting to see so many people wanting reissues of vinyl. The two reasons could be 1) they just want the older music which isn't available on CD(?) or 2) they expect the reproduced quality off a vinyl to be superior.

If it's the second one then they probably would also like to have a "superior" vinyl disc in the first place. A more "modern" vinyl disc ! Typically most older vinyl weighed around 120 gms and had pressing shortcomings and questionable 'vinyl quality' ! These discs also got warped easily and some were not of uniform thickness over its surface.

So does everyone want a "better" vinyl disc ?

Modern day vinyl is often a 180 gm disc. They are flatter and more uniform in thickness and store better than the more flexible older 120 gm discs. Maybe you should also specify what kind of discs you want pressed. Discs are pressed in various thickness up to about 200gm. You need to tell them what you want and 120 gm should possibly be avoided. Minimum acceptable would (I guess) be 150 gm ....on "virgin vinyl" ?

You can update yourself on the state of vinyl on the web . Here is one link you can start with ..
Blog.VinylGourmet.com: 180 Gram Vinyl... What are the benefits? Heavyweight Vinyl Records Explained

My experience over the years was that Indian pressings were often inferior to the ones made abroad. Especially with reference to surface noise. Maybe inferior "vinyl" itself ! They were certainly of a different grade as they used to be 'harder' and less flexible than imported pressings. Never bought any recent ones so I don't know how they are now.

It's vinyl, it will be expensive, demand the best possible !

Good Morning,
While west has no problem bringing out vinyls and making profit there is no market for vinyls or for that matter even audio CD here in India. Lets be honest. We are minority enthusiastic people. This was to bring to notice music companies that there is demand for music on vinyl. Idea should be to popularize vinyl medium. This is tough task considering Indian Market. There would be always hurdles and shortcoming at start or bringing out FIRST vinyl. The goal should not be to bring any particular title. Goal should to bring first public demanded vinyl. Everything depends on money. Even for comparatively cheap Rs. 800 vinyl we are struggling. Though I would love 180gm audiophile recordings. They increase cost, demand decreases and people have their own subjective choice for music. Think from ordinary publics point of view who would hesitate buying 2000 to 3000 rupee vinyl. If Price is low songs are good packaging is attractive people will even buy it as souvenir. So my ideas is (I could be wrong) First bring out populist affordable vinyl. This gets companies and ordinary people interested and in future bring out good quality titles. Without them (Music company and buyers out of the forum) We go nowhere.

Lets increase price from 800 to 1000 rs. Lets request company/ies to see if in that price they can bring down total run from 300 pieces to 200 pieces. I will buy more number if need arises of any title you all decide upon.

To decide quickly from our side lets pick up one title (Hare Rama Hare Krishna* is good, R D Burman, couple of good songs, Dance music can be pushed to the end of record, vinyl sellers would be attracted too) which can be moderately priced and can be brought about. Those who have chosen other title do join in. And lets see the number. Then we can plan future actions. Think of all this as you are dedicated volunteer to promote vinyl. Challenges are fun. Coming together of like minded people is fun. Listening to vinyl is fun :eek:hyeah:

If all goes well my only interest is in couple of year we may bring out India's first high resolution recorded, very well mastered audiophile quality vinyl.

Regards

*Never in my life I though I would be promoting 'Dum maro dum' :lol:

Last edited:
From what I hear ,it should be easily possible to make 120gm vinyl for a selling price of 800/- in the country. 180gm isn't required. As you raise the price the quantities will dwindle rapidly ! If the price comes down to 600/- the number interested could jump dramatically !
I know someone from the industry. I can find out the manufacturing cost here !
Looking at international production pricing looks like even 600/- is possible if you can ramp up the numbers.

Offer titles and ask people to pre-order. If it it reaches the desired numbers then go for production ! Don't sell after production !...........unless you have made extra copies and your costs are covered. 600/- would make it very attractive! Since everything is sold before pressing and there is no middle man or retail expenses, this should be possible I think.

As Captain Rajesh Suggested we should also think of abroad Kickstart funding or /crowd funding for easier process. Modalities should be discussed.

Whats app could be a good support.

Very Apt points. I think this is what Sanjeev had also written about in his post no 136 above

The min lot is 300 thats a manufacturing constraint . Even if we charge 1500 for any, we need around 170 min orders ( BTW they will still make 300) and we have 30 orders for one title so who takes care of the remaining 140 ?

Lets increase price from 800 to 1000 rs. Lets request company/ies to see if in that price they can bring down total run from 300 pieces to 200 pieces. I will buy more number if need arises of any title you all decide upon.

From what I hear ,it should be easily possible to make 120gm vinyl for a selling price of 800/- in the country. 180gm isn't required. As you raise the price the quantities will dwindle rapidly ! If the price comes down to 600/- the number interested could jump dramatically !
I know someone from the industry. I can find out the manufacturing cost here !
Looking at international production pricing looks like even 600/- is possible if you can ramp up the numbers.

Offer titles and ask people to pre-order. If it it reaches the desired numbers then go for production ! Don't sell after production !...........unless you have made extra copies and your costs are covered. 600/- would make it very attractive! Since everything is sold before pressing and there is no middle man or retail expenses, this should be possible I think.

Hi All,

Its nice to get to know lot of new people and subjects on this forum. I have been collecting records since past 9 years and I have a considerable collection, though one thing is for sure that its not an cheap hobby nevertheless if Vinyls were to become more present across India we need to understand and make changes in lot of things

We cannot compare indian records with international records where the royalty is higher and charges are higher yet most of the records are priced on par or on a slight premium with the CD whereas in India the records are priced at 1200-1500 rs a record which is very expensive, Veer Zara could release collectors edition for 499 12 years back and now the same has been priced at 4990, obviously the pricing is too high and what has happened in 10 years that prices go up by 10 times ?

If the companies are really serious in getting clientele and also increasing the vinyl market in India as Hiten suggested in earlier post the user base needs to be increased and to do the same the pricing of records have to be really attractive, I think for bollywood stuff the pricing beween
299 and 499 should attract a new base of users, lets not discuss about a niche audiophile community but a large young base of users willing to spend money on buying records.

Records I believe were always niche in India and will be so but if companies are having trouble selling 500-1000 records of popular movies there seems to be something wrong, pricing apart there is the question of communication and information until the launch of records is not made visible and people do not see physically records a non user shall never get attracted to the same.

I travel a lot and I go pretty often to HMV store in HK, I am surprised each time the vinyl section gets bigger and better thus I think for a future for Vinyls to grow we need them to be physically presented at point of sales. Online sales shall help but physical point of sales are the need of the day, companies need to work with stores which have large footfalls and create exclusive music kiosks or have monthly exhibitions in malls for sale of records, which are properly communicated

Our used record stores are dirty, usually badly maintained and for services offered most of them tend to be non professional and expensive , they want this situation to continue so that they can peddle their goods for horribly expensive prices, if the same has to be stopped companies need to come with new records of popular music which earlier was never released on records. This will surely attract younger crowd to music and make them pay to buy the same

Again choice of music which comes on record is an issue, imagining Tees maar khan, or Jhoota hi sahi the music might be good but never popular and thus companies burnt their hands with such records whereas some superlative music has come such as Aashiqui2, Anjaana Anjaani etc etc which would have sold in higher numbers. Best of music from the companies can be launched as boxed sets

Apart from Bollywood music the niche segment of Ghazals, Classical vocal and instrumental in Hindustani and carnatic could be popular for record release, these records can be more expensive and they shall be niche not selling in higher volumes.

These are my personal views and I hope that this shall not offend anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back