Preamp for TT or Integrated Amp???

TaureanBull

Hi guys
I am planning to buy a TT. Budget 15-20k. Can anyone tell me abt Numark TT-200?? Howz the piece? or should i go for Denon DP-300F/ProJect Debut III?

More importantly, I was planning to buy NAD PP2/PP3 phone preamp but I realised that Marantz PM 7001 which also I am planning to buy has a pair of Phono In. Will this suffice my requirement or is it advisable to go in for a separate phono preamp? :confused:

IMO the Integrated Amp will do the same job and in the bargain I will save money :) and space (layout of equipment). Else why the company would provide a Phono Jack in!!! :D

Most integrateds these days do not provide the phono stage since vinyl is not as popular as it used to be. Please recheck that the Marantz model you mention has it.

I also agree with iaudio suggestion as at present I am using my AVR's phono stage and it does the work for now but I am sure that a seperate phonostage like a Nad PP3 would perform the task better as that is what its meant to do whereas in Integrated as well as AVR's case it would just do the job but with compromise.

very strange that even in THIS forum no one with an answer!!!:sad:

well the weekend is here hence :)

a separate phonostage is good when you've got a good tt. if you've got an entry level tt and you have the money to spend you could buy a good separate phonostage will certainly up the performance. you should get decent performance out of the phono stage in an integrated amp. no way though it'll compare to a dedicated phonostage. at the range you're looking at, go with your current built in phonostage, spend the money on a good cart and second step look for a good phonostage.

regards

I dont know what the budget is, but there are highly affordable phonostages available( as well as more expensive ones) out there, check Hagerman Technology-their Bugle is both very highly rated and affordable-the kit costs just over $100 including shipping worldwide.

Hi,
looking at your system in my opinion it is OK to buy an integrated amp. with phono. There is no point in buying seperates with Project basic model and Bose speakers.
Enjoy this for few years and later if you feel like upgrading yu can always do that.
It is presumed all seperates are better and in most cases they really are like seperate Pre and Power or seperate pre and phono or seperate Transport and DAC.
But these days we get really good integrates also.
I think don't waste more money at this level
SKR

Hi guys
I am planning to buy a TT. Budget 15-20k. Can anyone tell me abt Numark TT-200?? Howz the piece? or should i go for Denon DP-300F/ProJect Debut III?

More importantly, I was planning to buy NAD PP2/PP3 phone preamp but I realised that Marantz PM 7001 which also I am planning to buy has a pair of Phono In. Will this suffice my requirement or is it advisable to go in for a separate phono preamp? :confused:

IMO the Integrated Amp will do the same job and in the bargain I will save money :) and space (layout of equipment). Else why the company would provide a Phono Jack in!!! :D

If I were you i'd go for an older integrated amp that has a phono stage.
Like a sansui or a marantz. The older amps had superb phono stages and all in all they beat the newer CA's and NAD's hollow in every department.

My old Marantz PM 80 is a great example.

Later, when you go for a pricey TT with a pricey tonearm and cartridge, I'd tell you to go for separates. At this time and at this budget this would be my top suggestion!

Thnks to everyone for their advise. But..

well it seems that there is some confusion. The 15-20k budget is for the TT ONLY!!! The US price for Marantz PM 7001 is $600 which I am buying.The question is for NAD PP2/PP3 US price $130/200. I am ready to spend this money on the phono pre amp. But the question is if its worth spending this amount?
The plan is to connect the amp (s) with Denon DP-300F or ProJect Debut III TT. :)

To clarify further I would be using Wharfdale 9.5 floorstanders as of now. My preference for music is rock and Indian Music. :yahoo:

If I were you i'd go for an older integrated amp that has a phono stage.
Like a sansui or a marantz. The older amps had superb phono stages and all in all they beat the newer CA's and NAD's hollow in every department.

My old Marantz PM 80 is a great example.

Later, when you go for a pricey TT with a pricey tonearm and cartridge, I'd tell you to go for separates. At this time and at this budget this would be my top suggestion!

I told u Marantz has a phono in so is n't it safe to assume it has a phono stage as well!!! :confused:

if you are determined to buy the marantz and it has phono, then you can ignore what malvai said.
Would it be possible for you to buy the phono later (maybe not if you are making a trip or asking someone to carry)? To begin with you can try the inputs on marantz and then later loan and listen to external phono and if you like it, buy it.
BUT in case you are not sure about marantz, what malvai said makes a lot of sense. You can buy a vintage amp, listen to the amp's phono and if you find significant difference with an external phono, add it.
For TT I would suggest that in that budget, buy a decent pre-owned TT like technics, and add a very good cart on it, like shure 97xe - (costs 3.5k in US) or maybe some even better cart (say denon high output moving coil - more experts here can guide you)
BTW, malvai used to have a technics sl 1300 with shure 97xe cart on it. If it is still there, grab it now, maybe along with his pm 80 amp, if he is willing to sell. If you are in mumbai, give a listen for sure.

if you are determined to buy the marantz and it has phono, then you can ignore what malvai said.
Would it be possible for you to buy the phono later (maybe not if you are making a trip or asking someone to carry)? To begin with you can try the inputs on marantz and then later loan and listen to external phono and if you like it, buy it.
BUT in case you are not sure about marantz, what malvai said makes a lot of sense. You can buy a vintage amp, listen to the amp's phono and if you find significant difference with an external phono, add it.
For TT I would suggest that in that budget, buy a decent pre-owned TT like technics, and add a very good cart on it, like shure 97xe - (costs 3.5k in US) or maybe some even better cart (say denon high output moving coil - more experts here can guide you)
BTW, malvai used to have a technics sl 1300 with shure 97xe cart on it. If it is still there, grab it now, maybe along with his pm 80 amp, if he is willing to sell. If you are in mumbai, give a listen for sure.

Sure TB (Taurean Bull). come over.
The Marantz is not for sale. The Technics might be. But yup, when you come over I can demonstrate the differences between an 'on board' phono and a 'separate'!

But, all in all, in my experience, if you're on a budget, get yourself a good vintage integrated amp. Because, right up to the early 90s Vinyls were very popular and every self respecting manufacturer would never scrimp on putting in as good a phono stage as they could.

My recommendations:
1. Marantz
2. Sansui (The 70s stuff only)
3. Technics (70s and 80s)

If you make a tripo here I could help you acquire a good amp as well.

Sure TB (Taurean Bull). come over.
The Marantz is not for sale. The Technics might be. But yup, when you come over I can demonstrate the differences between an 'on board' phono and a 'separate'!

But, all in all, in my experience, if you're on a budget, get yourself a good vintage integrated amp. Because, right up to the early 90s Vinyls were very popular and every self respecting manufacturer would never scrimp on putting in as good a phono stage as they could.

My recommendations:
1. Marantz
2. Sansui (The 70s stuff only)
3. Technics (70s and 80s)

If you make a tripo here I could help you acquire a good amp as well.

Thanks a lot for your gesture. Would have love to come over and listen :yahoo: but I am in Cairo till mid 2011!!!

;

Thankx amn for suggestions. My location does not permit me so.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back