Projector vs tv

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38504

Dedicated room for HT. Room size 11*14 feet.

Pros and cons of TV and projector. What is a must is 4k.

Never used a projector before so have pretty much no clue. Open to buying from grey market especially wrt projector.

None for a dedicated room. Deciding how big a screen you desire should be the deciding factor. As 4K projectors will be expensive compared to a TV.

Enough of TV from B&W CRT type within wooden enclosure to coloured glass. Then colour TV during Asian games, slim TV , LCD, Plasma, LED, HD and 4K. Must be tiring. So how about something new. It is not Projector vs TV. Think what projector. My feelings goes pretty similar in you way.

I have projector in a room similar to size you mentioned. Mine is 1080p though. feel it's more than adequate for a 120 inch screen and I don't feel missing any pixels. I kept it dedicated for movies only, feel it's not worth watching a tv on it, theres a lot of difference in watching a 24fps movie on a projector as compared to watching same movie on TV, though its just me. There's a feeling of cinema which tv cant give. I feel if you watch lots of movies/Netflix, a projector is best but just for watching TV only, I wont suggest a projector as source quality is very poor to be blown on a big 120inch screen. Also no matter what the projector, the lighting in the room needs to be controlled in order to enjoy, whereas tv can be watched anytime. In short, if you want to seriously enjoy high quality world of movies/streaming then projector is way to go, if just casual watching TV channels then tv is way to go.

Do projectors have the quality and resolution of a 4K tv?
Like firearm 12 suggested, You need to control the ambient light in the room, just like in theaters. Also he is right that if you watch TV on it , it can get tiresome for the screen size. Movies really give you the big screen experience that a TV cannot.

Ok got it guys thanks. I watch a lot of movies on tv as well. Netflix of course. But I watch even star movies on Tatasky. When u say lightening has to be controlled it means I will need blinds? So does ambient light cause issues with watching on a projector?

Say I go for a projector. What are my options in 4K? Brands and cost wise.

As I said once you watch the same movies on a projector on a big screen, off a bluray or downloaded, you will appreciate the difference from watching them on TV channel. Its a different experience. Lots of it has to do with tv broadcast format and movie native formats which are way different. Movies and recent shows like Netflix etc are created for a big screens to be run mostly at 24fps, so look way better with projectors which are specially made to display them.

Like in a theatre, more dark you can get the room the better, total dark is ideal and any kind of ambient light will cause issues in my opinion. That's because a projector can project all colours but not black as black is basically just absense of light, so it has to rely on room darkness to create the black and darkness in scenes. Where ever it doesn't project light in a scene will be Black area. Black levels and contrast always suffer because of ambient light. A 4k projector would be overkill for your room and it will cost a bomb. I would suggest to go with a good 1080p DLP or LED projector with good brightness and contrast ratio. DLP is preffered. Good companies are sony, optoma, benq, Epson.

Ok got it guys thanks. I watch a lot of movies on tv as well. Netflix of course. But I watch even star movies on Tatasky. When u say lightening has to be controlled it means I will need blinds? So does ambient light cause issues with watching on a projector?

Refer to this link...some recommendations....

https://www.techradar.com/news/home-cinema/projectors/tr-top-10-best-home-cinema-projectors-1291490

Yes. Blinds and curtains too. The darker the better. As far quality goes you want to see how many lumens it outputs ans the contrast ratio. Higher the lumens brighter it will be. Higher the contrast ratio, sharper it will be.
There is buzz in the industry about laser projectors, that out perform any current legacy hardware projectors, but not sure about price.

Pros and cons of TV and projector.

Hmm.. In short, if you love movies, big screen is the way to go.. There are some solutions (dark screens, blinds, controlled lights), which can get you to near perfect large screen experience.. You can always make a situation better..

Dedicated room for HT. Room size 11*14 feet.

My room size is the same as yours, but living room..I have a FHD-LED projector, screen size is abt 100 inch Diagonal in 16:9, and use it for all wide screen content, runs abt 6 ~ 8 hrs a day minimum.. (Movies, music, TV serials, sports, youtube, gaming, browsing).. Viewing position is 10 feet from the screen and i have had no issues watching a large screen..

Have tried to minimise the ambient light reflecting on the screen.. From dusk till 9 PM in the night, media is consumed on the screen with 2 x 8 W LED in the room.. Picture is still good, without getting washed out..

What is your approx budget?..

Approximately 1.5 lacs is my budget for a projector and the screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back