Pune HFV Meet 2011

Hey Sono - it seems to me like a lot of guys will not find this thread - how do we make sure everyone on HFV in Pune knows about it?

Viki

Hi Viki,
Firstly I'll send send PM/emails to all previous members who haven't responded on this thread yet, to check their interest this time.

Next I'll check with Mods if there is a way to find HFV members from Pune... and then PM them to check their interest. Will post results of this coordination in 2-3 days.

Regds,

Have replied to sonosphere. Will attend this for sure. :)

For the tracks shall we stick to the usual suspects? My take is if we listen to oft heard content its easier to make out the differences.

eg. Steely Dan - Aja, A.P.P. - Eye In the sky, P.F. The Wall (In fact anything from PF) etc.

Of course its also cool to discover new content based on fellow audiophiles' recommendation as there's always unexplored territories in music.

Hi Miro,
No issues! Pls confirm your presence for 06-Nov and update the xls file.

Hi all,

I am not based in Pune but I have a base in Pune as my sister, brother-in-law and nephew stay there. May I join in?

Happy Diwali everyone!

Sonosphere, thanks for the mail, i had missed this thread, please count me in. Will update the .xls sheet soon.

Viki, thanks once again for hosting the meet. Look forward to meet you all...:)

sonosphere, thanks for the PM.

Nov 6th suits me fine. I will be joining you guys for the meet. I have updated the sheet with the gear i will bring along.

We could try some of these tracks which are noted for their high peak frequencies across the whole audible range.
Frequency distribution

Let's include oscar winning Jai Ho by ARR for sure.

Let us also finalize the common tracks we will be playing. From my side I suggest repeating 1812 Overture - Cresendo. Instead of the song from Roja I would suggest a sufi song that I heard - has a lot of mixes instruments & wide vocal range. Will track down the same & update.

Hi HFV meet members,
If we look at music from view of Genre, instrumental density and dynamics, this is how I look at various "types" of music we chose for previous meet >>

Type-1: Song Hey you, From Pink Floyd (Genre: Rock, Instrumental-density: Medium, Dynamics: Soft to Hi dynamics)

Type-2: Composition 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky (Genre: Western Classical, Instrumental-density: High, Dynamics: Soft to Hi dynamics)

Type-3: Song Yeh haseen vaadiyan by AR Rahman (Genre:"Modern" Hindi movie , Instrumental-density: Medium, Dynamics: Soft dynamics)

Type-4: Song Yeh reshmi zulfon by O.P Nayyer (Genre:"vintage" Hindi movie, Instrumental-density: Low, Dynamics: Soft dynamics)

(The above 4 choices constituted 20 mins of music, that was calculated as optimum duration, considering time available for whole meet)

Taking cue from above I request members to suggest song/compositions (preferably popular ones, of which they have audio cd). I'll post my suggestion for the 4 types soon.

Regds,
Sonosphere

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Those of you who might have good quality XLR interconnect cables at hand, can you please bring it along?

My DAC, pre and power have balanced I/O and i am really interested to audition my set up with a few different cables. I currently have only one set of XLR ICs which connect my pre to power. I am still using regular RCA ICs from DAC to pre. Would like to see the improvement a complete balanced connection may bring.

Thanks!

I suggest dropping vintage since CD conversion of many of them isn't as good as the original.

There is a benefit in choosing songs that stress all frequencies - they exercise all drivers of a speaker.

I have Jai Ho's audio CD and can bring it along.

I'd also love to hear a balanced setup, so if anyone has XLR cables, please do bring them. For the test tracks, let's not keep any of the last ones, just to avoid boredom. Some suggestions:

1. Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
2. Bob Dylan - Blowing in the Wind
3. U2 - I still haven't found what I'm looking for
4. Carl Orff - Carmina Burana
5. Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
6. Eagles - Hotel California

Viki

For those trying to find my place, just search for :

Neubauplan, Wanawadi, Pune

on Google Earth.

My place is in the adjacent building.

Viki

I'd also love to hear a balanced setup, so if anyone has XLR cables, please do bring them. For the test tracks, let's not keep any of the last ones, just to avoid boredom. Some suggestions:

1. Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
2. Bob Dylan - Blowing in the Wind
3. U2 - I still haven't found what I'm looking for
4. Carl Orff - Carmina Burana
5. Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
6. Eagles - Hotel California

Viki

I would love to come;
I shall - for sure - next one - when ever you have one.
My house should be ready in Pune, so I will plan a trip & stay over once the meet is planned. Would love to meet & listen.

I have a small suggestion - if I may.
To that list of 'suggested' tracks - some more may need to be 'added' - if I may suggest;

Classical - Western - Orchestral
Classical - Western - Coral / Quartet / Piano & Organ
Classical - Indian - Vocal & Instrumental [2 different]
Male Vocal - Bill Withers / Bruce / Frank / Michael Buble / Harry etc.
Female Vocal - Kari / Mary Black / Janis Ian / Melody / Tracy / Patricia etc.
80's - Old Classics - Yello / Tanika Takaram / Yazz / etc. [this one gets long]

I just make these suggestions - so that any system can be 'judged' along the lines of its ability to play different gener's & styles along with pitch & tempo variations etc.
I do hope you consider - it may make things a bit interesting.....

p.s. I do promise, I will come to the next meet. My house should be ready in / by Jan 2012 - so it will get easy - some weekend for sure.

All the Best !

Have a great meet.

p.s.s. Cables / DAC's etc. I do have a bit lying around, could have got a lot to play around with - we could have had lots of fun;;;)

Hi!

Many thanks to Viki for offering his place again. We should not trouble his wife for eats this time so let us order some take-outs & share the costs.

Hi all,

I agree with Sridhar. What do others who will be present say? It is very kind of Viki to have offered his place as the venue. It would be good to share in helping him and his wife with some of the responsibility of hosting the event.

Regards.

I feel we should leave the final selection of songs to Sonosphere. Bring on your suggestions.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back