Qs. for Forum Members from Mumbai - do you use a Voltage Stabilizer?

Is a Voltage Stabilizer required in Mumbai ?

• Yes

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters

filmguy

how many FMs here from Mumbai use a Voltage Stabilizer for their electronics? and have they found it of any help or has it made any difference from when they didnt?

have asked some local electricians & electronic service technicians and they were all saying since Mumbai has pretty stable power its not needed. so wanted the view of members here.

Hi,
If something goes wrong with your Audio Gears you cannot claim anything with the local techn.
IMO if your Audio gears costs more than 40k dont take risk.
Instead spend 10%(~4k) of your gear price and buy stabilizer and belkin spike buster to safe guard(No 100℅ guarantee that u r safe) your hardearned money.
Btw i am not from mumbai.its just suggestion and i feel it is applicable to all indian residents

I own Vguard digi 200.
No issues so far.
Iam not claiming here that Stabilizer will safe guard your equipment from all kind of electrical problem.
But can do something/prevention to save our electronic equipments.
Just my thoughts and piece of mind little bit.
Had bad experience cos of lightning surge in the past which came thru stb (Tata sky). Fried almost all equipments in my house including ups,avr,ac,fan,cfls even though AVR is not switched ON and power plug removed condition.Those are extreme exceptional cases even your stabilizer cannot save ur hard-earned money.But let us think in positive way as stabilzer can safe guard our Audio gears.

How many items can be connected to one DIGI guard? Would it depend on a 3 pin or 2 pin connector right?

Stabilizers not required in most parts of Mumbai as both the city and suburban electric supply companies provide very stable supplies.

But having a simple surge suppressor is good insurance.

Hello film guy,

Surge protection is crucial

One can use TPYE 2 single phase (1P+N) SPD's ( surge protection device) in branch circuits also and are much cost effective. One can buy a Havells type 2 SPD for Rs 2090/- + GST only.

For cost effective, readily available and somewhat cheaper to maintain solution, the below combinations are also good.

1) Low budget option: automatic or manual voltage stablizer + G. I Earthing, minimum 12 feet deep + SPD type 2 + 4 way or 6 way Single phase double door distribution box ( Double pole MCB optional) = Rs 7 to 8 thousand approx

2) Mid budget option: Servo or CVT stablizer + G. I / Copper Earthing, minimun 12 feet deep + SPD type 2 (optional in case of CVT) + 4 way or 6 way Single phase double door distribution box(optional in case of CVT) ( Double pole MCB optional) = Rs 18 to 20 thousand approximately

3) Premium option: Online UPS + copper Earthing, minimum 12 feet deep + SPD type 2 + 4 way or 6 way Single phase double door distribution box ( Double pole MCB optional) + Type 1, SPD, at the main distribution box, it will be single phase or three phase depending upon your house supply = Rs 30-35 thousand approximately.

All the above can be installed near the equipment rack/ switch box. Normally there is no need for a dedicated single phase power line if there are no major voltage drops and the house load is balanced across all phases. The surges and spikes arising from within the house is taken care of by surge protection device SPD type 2.

P. S : I Have three different setups at home, and i currently use all the above options and have a roughly 1.5kw load for each setup.
For earth there may be need to apply water to the earth pit in case of dry areas or low level of ground water etc, In that case a haudi may be needed which safeguard the wires as well as keeps the earth pit with enough moisture.

I own Vguard digi 200.
No issues so far.
Iam not claiming here that Stabilizer will safe guard your equipment from all kind of electrical problem.
But can do something/prevention to save our electronic equipments.
Just my thoughts and piece of mind little bit.
Had bad experience cos of lightning surge in the past which came thru stb (Tata sky). Fried almost all equipments in my house including ups,avr,ac,fan,cfls even though AVR is not switched ON and power plug removed condition.Those are extreme exceptional cases even your stabilizer cannot save ur hard-earned money.But let us think in positive way as stabilzer can safe guard our Audio gears.

did the stabilizer help protect your equipment from the lightning surge? that would be useful if it did but i was told that it wouldnt.

did the stabilizer help protect your equipment from the lightning surge? that would be useful if it did but i was told that it wouldnt.
No it didn't.
It was not connected in plug point also.
It entered somehow in my house.
Possibilities st box / modem.
Its bit off the topic

Last edited:
CVT helps in lighting protection as the secondary is completely isolated. Also you wont require a spike or surge protector using a CVT. A CVT delivers cleaner AC at its output.

few years ago lightning fried my computer main-board via the internet cable plugged in directly into the machine. So monsoon time is to be a bit vigilant.

CVT helps in lighting protection as the secondary is completely isolated. Also you wont require a spike or surge protector using a CVT. A CVT delivers cleaner AC at its output.

can you please give a link to this CVT product. is it directly connected & safe to use with the electronics esp with AVRs? which brand would you recommend?

Last edited:
CVT are noisy. You need to have them in a different room. They work fine. Have had them in the past. Also to be effective they need to have a load of 2/3 rd of their capacity. So buy basis what your equipment consumes.

Agree with Prem. They give an audible 50Hz hum at as they work on magnetic hysteresis principle which could be annoying for audio usage. Also they heat up quite quick. Also they need to be operated close to full load to be very effective. Hence proper sizing becomes important.

Last edited:
what happens if you connect more equipment than the rated load?

the digi 200 says its for 3 things but what if i connect a 55" tv + avr + sub + dth + ps3 + ps4, will this model be enough?

what happens if you connect more equipment than the rated load?

the digi 200 says its for 3 things but what if i connect a 55" tv + avr + sub + dth + ps3 + ps4, will this model be enough?
afaik It is rated for 6Amps capacity.
If you connect more load than the rated capacity it is harm for Stabilizer and the load IMO

I bought the digi 200, figured it's better to have it as insurance.

Atm have connected only my 50" tv to it, was just wondering if it's safe to connect A/V receivers to it because I seem to remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't use audio equipment with voltage stabilizer , is that true or false?

Yesterday while watching tv heard a quick clicking sound from the stabilizer which sounded like a switch. Any idea what that could be?

I bought the digi 200, figured it's better to have it as insurance.

Atm have connected only my 50" tv to it, was just wondering if it's safe to connect A/V receivers to it because I seem to remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't use audio equipment with voltage stabilizer , is that true or false?

Yesterday while watching tv heard a quick clicking sound from the stabilizer which sounded like a switch. Any idea what that could be?
Iam using Digi 200 with my AV gears.So far No issues.
If you are in big budget you have to look for other options as suggested by other FM.Add Belkin spike buster for additional safety next to stabilizer before your equipments.
Btw That clicking sound comes whenever there is voltage fluctuation found in your power line it will change over the internal tappings of transformer to safe guard your equip.
Trust you are not asking about the clicking sound when switching "ON" but the same sound u heard while watching TV.?

Iam using Digi 200 with my AV gears.So far No issues.
If you are in big budget you have to look for other options as suggested by other FM.Add Belkin spike buster for additional safety next to stabilizer before your equipments.
Btw That clicking sound comes whenever there is voltage fluctuation found in your power line it will change over the internal tappings of transformer to safe guard your equip.
Trust you are not asking about the clicking sound when switching "ON" but the same sound u heard while watching TV.?
Yes, while watching. It happened twice in space of 6 hours. that means there were voltage fluctuations? Wow. I thought lights flickered or dimmed momentarily when that happens, didn't happen then.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back