Qs. for Forum Members from Mumbai - do you use a Voltage Stabilizer?

Is a Voltage Stabilizer required in Mumbai ?

• Yes

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
I have the Digi 200 with TV (49in) & AVR connected to it. No issues seen in last 12 months of usage. The clicking sound is normal with fluctuation.

I use a Rontek AV power management system for the living room system. Controls power for entire systems.

I have the Digi 200 with TV (49in) & AVR connected to it. No issues seen in last 12 months of usage. The clicking sound is normal with fluctuation.

I use a Rontek AV power management system for the living room system. Controls power for entire systems.
I tried emailing and calling rontek but wasn't able to get through. How much did it cost you and how is it different from regular stabilizer?

is there any ready reckoner to find the power draw of various equipments? trying to find out if my 12" subwoofer & ps3 can be attached to the stabilizer which atm only has a tv & avr connected to it and for safetys sake i have not run both together.

I tried emailing and calling rontek but wasn't able to get through. How much did it cost you and how is it different from regular stabilizer?
Bought through our AV integrator The Final Touch in Juhu Mumbai. It was part of an entire package so I can't remember the pricing and couldn't find the papers as am in the middle of shifting homes.

I use a rontek for my HT and a barracuda by sound foundations for my stereo setup. Both linked to a voltage stabilizer next week.

Though in metros, and most places the supply is quite stable, it's more of a peace of mind. Been using Syscom stabilizers with spike buster since ages now.

Does the spike buster give you a wider soundstage? And tighter bass?

I’m happy for you. What make of the spike buster did u get? There are plenty of ones on Amazon with excellent deals. Belkin being the forum favourite.

Ok. Jokes apart and coming back to the OP. Belkin is pretty decent and personally whether the supply is good or bad, a stabilizer and spike guard is bare minimum. Some high rise apartment societies do have lightning arresters, but better to have a peace of mind. There could be warranty issues as well.

Folks,
Stabilizers are required for erratic swings in mains voltage.
In most large cities, this is no longer an issue, is my guess.
We have not had such problems at my apartment in Bangalore.
I have been living in the current home for 13 years now.
Most of us have some form of backup power, DG backup, in house UPS, etc.

If the mains voltage is between 210-250V it should be fine.
Get a stabilizer if you want to be "safe" and have peace of mind.

Electrical spike busters are something else. These protect you from unusual surges.
These surges normally happen when the power comes back on after a power cut.
Most new buildings, electrical installations have multiple levels of fail safe.
E.g., in an apartment there is:
1. the panel room
2. the apartment's main LDB
3. the in house UPS

It is unlikely that all three will fail. If they do that's where the Belkins of the world come in.
In my stay here, we have had the panel room MCB cutout on a handful of occasions.
More recently, the surge got thru the panel room, but tripped up the LDB.

The other source of spikes are from the data/TV cables.
- Dish antennae (relatively safe, if there is a lightning rod at a higher level)
- Cable TV coax (these are unprotected)
- Ethernet/Phone cables (these are unprotected)

Most STBs and Modems are el-cheapos and will let the surge thru.
When they do, HDMI boards or PCs get fried, while the STBs/Modems themselves still function.
If available, get a spike buster with electrical, coax, RJ45, RJ11 protection.
These are expensive and usually lead to a wiring mess :)
I have no first hand experience with power conditioners.

Cheers,
Raghu

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back