quality of indian branded speakers

Don't know how many of you will swallow this, but, is a fact. Most yearn to own a white-skin made product. A 'brown' local manufacturer barely would get back his cost irrespective of the sound quality he has been able to deliver, which usually sets him back thinking as to whether the entire effort was worth it or not.

Let any speaker manufacturer here disagree to what I have stated above. Take it from a horse's mouth.

I've often given thought to this. and reached a somewhat similar conclusion. (and hey this is my personal opinion)

assuming that a minimum markup is 100% on Total direct cost (COGS +Conversion cost=TDC); it will rarely make economic sense to offer a product below INR 0.75lakh. (or 50k YMMV) below this point large scale manufacturers will be able to source massively better as the price goes downwards. above 1lakh; and increasingly as the price goes up I believe its increasing possible to deliver a boutique brand that can challenge or better the price equivalent big name brands.

The larger challenge is this -- higher end Hifi in India is a kind of Lemming affair, and people are so unsure of what sounds right that they are guided by opinion leaders. which is why you often see so much churn after purchase; when you buy based on someone else's opinion, you will rarely be satisfied in the long run.. that's why so often products are up on for sale just a few months after purchase.

In a situation where one buys as much to impress his peers as his own ears (if not more), brand name and snob value will play a role and that's a gap Indian speaker manufacturers will struggle to fill.

For example, one of the forum members who I respect considerably had put-up kit he had built for himself up for sale at one point on this forum. I had followed that build thread and the attention to detail in cabinet design etc was immense. and very good quality drivers and an all active system. when he put it up on sale (on cost or something similar )- I do not recollect any takers for the longest period. Fortunately the person in question has a day job that keeps him well funded and this is truly a hobby for him, but had he been a designer or been trying to sell a boutique brand for a living, it would have been a hard struggle indeed for a very capable individual.

As a forum we had taken baby steps in mumbai to educate people on good sound. (I met first met Hari and heard his early efforts at one of those meets - And I still remember the positive contrast of his early effort with the branded speakers that played immediately before). unfortunately both the meets that we had were dominated by vendors who diminished the discourse with their empirical attitude. and then we never had any more meets.

I do believe that if we can help people get over their need to belong, then small Indian manufacturers can be in with a chance.

There is also the point on resale value..eg I would not buy something i cannot sell without losing much since tastes evolve an morph with time hence so will your system

Unless it has a brand you do not get that and indian products other than Rethm dont have as much of a brand presence.

But again, if I were to start from scratch again ( and were open to an SS setup) , I might not think twice and go to a complete acoustic portrait high end system since I know siva and know I can get some benefits from his upgrades.

There is also the point on resale value..eg I would not buy something i cannot sell without losing much since tastes evolve an morph with time hence so will your system

Unless it has a brand you do not get that and indian products other than Rethm dont have as much of a brand presence.

But again, if I were to start from scratch again ( and were open to an SS setup) , I might not think twice and go to a complete acoustic portrait high end system since I know siva and know I can get some benefits from his upgrades.

Exactly my thoughts :)

and that leads to the original point. Resale or second sales are as shaped by biases as the original sale, if not more. resale is driven more by "deal" and less likely to be the consequence of an audition journey.

This was around speakers and not electronics, and I see no one mentioned reliability or after sales service. IMHO, service is likely to be much better among Indian boutique firms. (but would be happy to be corrected)

and that leads to the original point. Resale or second sales are as shaped by biases as the original sale, if not more. resale is driven more by "deal" and less likely to be the consequence of an audition journey.

This was around speakers and not electronics, and I see no one mentioned reliability or after sales service. IMHO, service is likely to be much better among Indian boutique firms. (but would be happy to be corrected)
I would not call it bias but Branding eg Bose is about as brown as it gets but has a fantastic brand recall. When cadence was doing well there was a buzz about it untill they had a quality problem.

I think we have to accept the fact that for the 'average' Indian, fed on 'marketing' by international brands, companies like 'Bose' signifies high end sound. I've been there before; 15 odd years ago, even I used to think of 'Bose' as the epitome of great sound. It was only when I discovered this (and other similar) forum that my perspective on high-end audio changed. However, this is not the case just in India. All over the world, small local boutique brands face the same challenge. I know of many boutique brands from Australia and Eastern European countries that do reasonably well. Don't you think they also had to overcome the same prejudices and perspectives about local brands vs International brands?

We are a country of more than a billion people with enough purchasing power and disposable income today that many of these niche companies can make a decent living. We as forum members, who have heard these local boutique firms and appreciate them, have a responsibility to promote these brands. If they are not able to survive, then it is our collective failure, and our loss. Yes, these firms will never have the marketing power to promote themselves to the larger masses, but does that mean that we all give up and let them die? Most boutique brands in other countries have survived only because of the support of local audiophile communities that serve as extended marketing & sales arms for them. If each one of us can convince a few of our immediate family or friends to invest in a local brand instead of an international brand, then we are helping in this cause. It's not easy, but then if people like us on this forum don't try to change this perspective, then who will?

IME, purchasing power was never an issue atleast in Mumbai. I know tenants in my apartment complex own 2 or 3 cars, but don't own any stereo or HT system. The question is of need of a hifi system. Guys take more pleasure in objects that they can flaunt and impress others with ( car, mobiles) rather than a speaker / amplifier which would draw zero attention amongst peers.

IME, purchasing power was never an issue atleast in Mumbai. I know tenants in my apartment complex own 2 or 3 cars, but don't own any stereo or HT system. The question is of need of a hifi system. Guys take more pleasure in objects that they can flaunt and impress others with ( car, mobiles) rather than a speaker / amplifier which would draw zero attention amongst peers.

and that group is not your target segment! if they were, then we are in the wrong business line!

ideally your target group are those interested in good quality music, but have limited exposure to local/niche brands because of lack of information. I've had some success (not everytime through) getting friends to consider local brands during their audition process. A couple of them have even ended up buying local after auditions. I think the key here is to create awareness within the target segment about local brands

A car is used from destination a to b whereas music gives infinite pleasure and also keeps the vices at bay.

[
and that group is not your target segment! if they were, then we are in the wrong business line!

ideally your target group are those interested in good quality music, but have limited exposure to local/niche brands because of lack of information. I've had some success (not everytime through) getting friends to consider local brands during their audition process. A couple of them have even ended up buying local after auditions. I think the key here is to create awareness within the target segment about local brands

i would agree that in the end there should be a much larger group of people among whose who love music , who may be willing to invest in a good system but if they knew about it or could experience it. Am sure that is how many of us have got into it

Music is GOD. Its theclosest one gets to know ONE. Unburden your predudices Your False Status may be it of Power Money Ego High Class etc, you come close to your PUREST BEINGNESS soul.MUSIC is Meditation. People who understand experience Existentiality in Meditation,The SAME HIGH is experienced in Good Music...Yes there are ways of using this medium for negative and positive aspects.Swapnil

The quality of speakers made by a few Indian boutique brands are on par with international brands. Rethm, Cadence and Acoustic portrait are 3 brands I have some experience with. There could be others but I don’t have any first hand experience with them. Of course, there are a few benefits with well-known international brands. Resale value due to brand recognition especially if you are spending a lot of money. Wider choices at all price points and also ability to go very high end if you have the money. If you playing at price points that are reasonable, there is no reason why you should not look at some of the boutique Indian brands.

Guys take more pleasure in objects that they can flaunt and impress others with ( car, mobiles) rather than a speaker / amplifier which would draw zero attention amongst peers.

Hi-Fi can be flaunted if one desires.
https://www.cnet.com/news/top-10-ultimate-high-end-speakers/

I wish I had the Money.
7LH.gif

regards

There are several Indian brands operating at varying scales of business.
Rethm, Acoustic Portrait, Lyrita, Sonodyne, Lithos, Torvin, Telome, etc.

I own Rethm and have heard Acoustic Portrait. Excellent speakers.
I haven't heard Lyrita speakers but their tube amps are very good.
Telome jewel cube speakers have been said to be better than Bose on this forum.
Which is most affordable audio company in India? Most of them are like 7 lakh per unit etc..

Which is most affordable audio company in India? Most of them are like 7 lakh per unit etc..
Norge. There are others. But these guys have maintained their good will for a very long time.

They deserve at least a mention if the idea is to encourage local players. No idea why there is no mention. However the forum have them mentioned every now and then.

spend a little more and get good imported speakers. it will last yu many years. Indian speakers are yet to come to the standards of b&w, Jamo etc

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back