Question about valuing speaker + Tube amp

GeorgeO

I'm posting here because I am no sure where I else can post this query:

I have a good friend to whom I've agreed to sell my Fostex FR floorstanders, and a 9wpc Class A 2A3 amp as a package deal. It's a very nice synergistic combo, putting out very nice sound and I have been enjoying listening to it, paired to a 12 inch sub, for this past year and a half. The speaker build thread was posted in the DIY section of this forum when I built it-its a Bob Brines TL design, using the Fostex 167E driver, and the amp is the Joplin( DHT PP using a pair of 2A3 tubes per channel) from Diyhifisupply, Hongkong.

The speakers cost about 16-17K, and the amp's list price was about $1000, assembled and shipped to the US. It comes with a detailed assembly and operation manual, so trouble shooting is easy.

I'm trying to establish what is a fair price, since the buyer is a good friend, who has been listening to it and enjoying the sound ever since I built it and I dont want to either overcharge or grossly undercharge. I expect to get my cost price for the speakers- but for the amp I am considering 25K. I know that getting a similar system for my friend ,or for that matter for anyone else, is going to be significantly more expensive( if new maybe 100% more) Is this a fair price? How does one figure out how to settle on a fair price?

The reason I'm selling this to make some space for a new MTM floor stander system using Scanspeak drivers, that I plan to start on soon, powered by a more powerful tube amp. In the past 12 years I have been in this hobby only once or twice have I sold any equipment-I always get stuff for my own use, and with no thought of selling, but now I dont have space so there is no choice in this matter!

Thanks for any comments

Hi George,

If I was a potential buyer who's your friend, I'd expect to pay the price you paid for it minus bout 4-5 grand each for the speaker and amp, if they've been used for a year or more.

If I was a seller I'd do the same for a pal who wanted to buy my stuff, the discount would vary based on my financial situation and the closeness of the pal in question. I have sold two components, one to a close pal for a decent reduction in the price I got it for and the amount I used it, another at hardly any reduction cos I needed the cash and I was selling it more cos the person really wanted the component and I was exploring other media, so it was a sort of sell it at this price or retain it mindframe. Hope this helps! :)

Regards

25K for the amp seems like a very decent amount. If I were to sell to a non-friend, I'd charge much more. However, I agree with Stevieboy - closeness of the friend matters too.

I'd like to think you can sell him everything for 40K. 45K tops.

Cheers!

Thanks for the input, guys.

I told him around 43K and he is comfortable with it. I think I will leave it that-I know it's a really good deal for him, because unlike me, his deprecation wont be anywhere as much if he were to sell it in future.

George this really shows that you value friendship over your most cherished obsession- music.;)

Do post pictures of MTM floor stander with your new amp.

--
helium
SB Classic> Beresford DAC 7510 MK4> Lyrita SET GM70/ Sugden A21a> Highly modified Vintage B&W DM4 => MUSIC

I first have to get the amp in place to photograph it-it's on the high seas along with various drivers, and expected here by the end of the month barring anything unforeseen. My plan is to start work on the MTM sometime in July so it may take a bit of time.

I will be going to the US this weekend and plan to bring back some toys, including crossover parts and an Optoma HD 20 when I return next month

Back