Recording Tata Sky programs with DVD Recorder/Hauppage HD PVR

naripeddi

Hi all,

Can we use the following to record programs from Tata Sky, or will Tata Sky give copy-protection or encryption problems to the recorders?

1. Stand-alone DVD Recorder using Component Input/Composite Input
2. Hauppage HD PVR (connected using Component cables and also involving computer)

Also, will Tata Sky work with IR Blaster? I guess Hauppage HD PVR has a provision for IR Blaster.

Regards
Hari

Can we use the following to record programs from Tata Sky, or will Tata Sky give copy-protection or encryption problems to the recorders?

Once the signal has reached your house, I guess Tata Sky has no control over it. If you can see it on your TV, you can also record it.

Cheers

Hi all,

1. Stand-alone DVD Recorder using Component Input/Composite Input
2. Hauppage HD PVR (connected using Component cables and also involving computer)

Also, will Tata Sky work with IR Blaster? I guess Hauppage HD PVR has a provision for IR Blaster.

Regards
Hari

How much would the entire setup cost, would it be more than TataSky + ???

Yes it is possible and no it will not cost more than Tata Sky + if you are getting the tuner card from the US. A good Hauppage internal TV Tuner card with a MS certified remote control will set you back by about $120, if I remember right. Thats a good deal.

With Tata Sky+ you can record one channel and watch another. The way these set top boxes are built, with a TV tuner you cannot do that. You will be watching what is being recorded. On the flip side, you cannot copy or use externally your recorded programs on Tata Sky. But here your computer is your friend. So on, so forth.

Once the signal has reached your house, I guess Tata Sky has no control over it. If you can see it on your TV, you can also record it.

Cheers

Ok, then I am happy. The existing TV Tuner cards are not that great when it comes to picture & audio quality. My requirement is that I need to capture the programs in exactly the same quality as it is being transmitted from Tata Sky (not to say that the Tata Sky's picture quality is as great as they usually advertise "DVd Quality picture"), so for this purpose I can use a Video Capture & Editing card (in place of the TV Tuner Card)????

How much would the entire setup cost, would it be more than TataSky + ???

In fact, I have Tata Sky+, and it costed me Rs 4,999 one time purchase during an offer period. And there are no monthly charges (for the + part). However, the drawback with TSky+ is, we CANNOT TRANSFER THE RECORDINGS TO COMPUTER. This way, we are missing the functionality of burning those programs onto DVDs. I see Hauppahe HD PVR has very good reviews in USA (it has got Component input + Digital optical input, that no other TV Tuner card has), but there seems to be some problem with the format of the recorded programs. It records in some .TS format, which apparently is difficult to encode into DVD-Compliant format.

Another drawback with TS+ is, if you buy a Shocase event (movie on demand) and record the same on it, you will not be able to view the same after expiry of the period for which you have bought the event. The show case events are encrypted in such a way that these are blocked after expiry.
Plus side is that it offers most convenient way of recording a program

Now Tatasky+ for 6k.
I use avermedia tv tuner with DVD Q recording option which works better than VCD,Divx.

In fact, I have Tata Sky+, and it costed me Rs 4,999 one time purchase during an offer period. And there are no monthly charges (for the + part). However, the drawback with TSky+ is, we CANNOT TRANSFER THE RECORDINGS TO COMPUTER. This way, we are missing the functionality of burning those programs onto DVDs. I see Hauppahe HD PVR has very good reviews in USA (it has got Component input + Digital optical input, that no other TV Tuner card has), but there seems to be some problem with the format of the recorded programs. It records in some .TS format, which apparently is difficult to encode into DVD-Compliant format.

yea even I bought TS+ for the same price and seriously believe me that apart from not being able to transfer files to computer it does an amazing job of scheduled and multiple recordings, I just press the record button for any future programm and completely forget it, and when I later check it .......its all recorded conveniently, infact TS+ also offeres to record a complete series, which is what I did for discovery Time Wrap programm. All episodes are recorded automamtically and I watch them at my convenience after office..........I am abolutely satisfied. That is why i was wondering if its better to have TS+ instead of taking all the pain to get Hauppage HD PVR and involving a computer. I have used a TV Tuner and a PVR s/was well and schedule recording is a pain, as you have to keep your computer on for it (atlest for internal TV tuner), plus live capturing is resource hungry so you have to be very carfefull while recording. If too much multiple applications are running or sometimes even without any reason video skips frames and that ruines everytihing as you either get a stuttery video or video losses sync with audio.
TS+ you dont have to worry for any such issue, just press R is all you need to do, far more convenient is you ask me.....

Hi,

Apologies for digging up an old thread but couldn't find a more recent relevant thread on the forum [pls do let me know if there is one and this thread can then be closed].

I had a couple of questions relating to recording live TV from a Standard Tata Sky STB [not Tata Sky+, not Tata Sky+ HD]. Let me state upfront that I am somewhat of a novice at this as a result of which my questions might appear naive, pls be gentle :)

1. Can Live TV from a Standard [basic version] Tata Sky STB be recorded on a device for viewing [on the same TV itself] later?
2. If yes, how? Does a DVR need to be connected between the STB and the TV? Or is there some other way?
3. Is it legal for such Live TV [from a Standard STB] to be recorded? [I intend to playback the content on the same TV as the STB is connected to].

Thanks a lot folks. This is an amazing forum!

Hi,

Apologies for digging up an old thread but couldn't find a more recent relevant thread on the forum [pls do let me know if there is one and this thread can then be closed].

I had a couple of questions relating to recording live TV from a Standard Tata Sky STB [not Tata Sky+, not Tata Sky+ HD]. Let me state upfront that I am somewhat of a novice at this as a result of which my questions might appear naive, pls be gentle :)

1. Can Live TV from a Standard [basic version] Tata Sky STB be recorded on a device for viewing [on the same TV itself] later?
2. If yes, how? Does a DVR need to be connected between the STB and the TV? Or is there some other way?
3. Is it legal for such Live TV [from a Standard STB] to be recorded? [I intend to playback the content on the same TV as the STB is connected to].

Thanks a lot folks. This is an amazing forum!

Unfortunately you can't.
You can only record and play in inbuilt HDD.

Cheers:)

Technically you can but the cost, inconvenience make it unviable. Best to get an STB with recording

I think you can use a PC+TV Tuner card for recording FTA (Free To Air) channels, but I am not sure. Anyway I think their is no point in recording FTA channels as most of them are not great for second viewing.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back