Reliance BIG TV HD DVR.,Now for just Rs.4990!

Jigneshg

Reliance BIG TV HD DVR.Now at an unbelievable price of Rs.4990!

EXISTING BIG TV SUBSCRIBERS (Upgrade Offer)
Discount of Rs 500 on commercial offering of Rs 4990 Bare box shall be offered
Customers need to recharge BIG TV account with Rs 4490 (Rs 4990-Rs.500)

Visit relianceglobalcom for more.

Thats a nice move on Reliance's part. Now only thing they need to do is get a few decent HD channels. Moving forward I guess Rs 2500 will be the price point for HD STB's & Rs 4500/5000 for HD DVR's. Its Tata's move now. Airtel will also have to seriously reconsider the pricing for their SD DVR which is at the same price point .

Well I had almost made up my mind to go for a TS HD...but I might just reconsider now ... any ideas if this device can record and play the HD channels as well? and can I extract the files vis USB

Currently BIG only has Nat Geo HD. And am sure, there will be no way you can copy the files onto a USB drive. Its a content rights issue. No operator would allow you to do that. Maybe some third party hardware vendor would allow that.

BIG TV HD has many flaws and many features are missing whne compared to TS+

And they have only one HD channel since 3 months

Hi Jigneshg,

Can you please share the list of missing features?

Thanks,
Sharad

Sure, these are from other forum that Ive quoted. I donot use BIG TV HD DVR

1. STB Hangs soon. Play with pausing, rewinding, forwarding for 2-3 mins. It will not respond to remote any more. You may have to reboot or factory reset. Does not happen all the time....but happens.

2. Recording schedule is volatile. If you loose power, you will loose all your recording timers.

3. Program schedule is not easy to navigate.

2. Big and ugly BigTV logo.

6. Not easy to find which channel is recording while browsing other channel.

I have a BIG TV HD DVR, so I wanted to know what extra feature TataSky + has. Looks like it is not much.

1. STB Hangs soon. Play with pausing, rewinding, forwarding for 2-3 mins. It will not respond to remote any more. You may have to reboot or factory reset. Does not happen all the time....but happens.

Was an issue only for a few days between two software upgrades. I never had to do a factory reset.

2. Recording schedule is volatile. If you loose power, you will loose all your recording timers.

True.

We got used to it so no issues.

That's true

May be an issue for someone looking for exactly the same interface as TataSky. I did not face any problems.

+Ves are:
  • HD recording
  • 200 hours of recording (at least earlier TataSky had less, not sure of the current disk size)
  • Great picture on HDMI (even for SD channels)
  • Universal remote. They themselves set it up to work with my TV and DVD player.
I am planning to change the connections in other rooms o BigTV HD.

Thanks.
Sharad

Hi Sharad,

Good to know that you are liking the BigTV HD DVR.

I have BigTV SD STB for nearly two years. Initially the s/w was kind of slow, but for the last year and a half I have not had any problem. The picture quality has always been significantly ahead of all other DTH services. Recently the picture quality has improved by another notch. We never had any problem with picture quality or any service related issues. Only issue is that it takes a long time usually to talk to their service reps over the phone (if you at all require any service, for example changing plans etc), they make you wait in the line and during the whole time they keep on playing a horrible piece of music.

Now I have been thinking about upgrading to the HD DVR. If you previously had BigTV SD STB, can you kindly tell me how much improvement one can expect especially because most of channels are currently SD? (BTW, I use a Profigold component cable between my STB and the Sony Bravia).

Regards.

1 Well the Big tv is slow because of recent software Updates which was buggy which was the same case in big tv SD STB,but over time they have issued updates,still not as fast as old blue UI which was faster then every other DTH UI that i know.

2 Hmm intresting this can be solved i guess with the launch of INTERNET or mobile based control

3 Program schedule is quite easy to operate ,so i guess its subjective.

4 big tv logo still sucks,luckily i heard its not there in the recorded programs.

BIGTV HD PVR owners,does it display which channels is being recorded.

the main advantage of big tv be it SD or HD stb is the PQ which is still right there on the top.

Sure, these are from other forum that Ive quoted. I donot use BIG TV HD DVR

hmmm.. Thanks Also I forgot to mention that Big tv doesnt have Mobile recording and Internet Recording

Also they do not give Video On demand(Vod) which is on Tata Sky +

I have TS and TS HD at home (have a 40" tv and a 32" tv) and I have watched Big TV in a 20" (?) at the hotel on my outstation work. The PQ on all channels in the TS HD on the 40" tv has definitely improved over the TS.
The PQ on the Big tv in a small sized TV was definitely very clear, though the Big TV logo really sucks by blocking a lot.
The remote and navigation in Big tv is not as user friendly as the remote of TS.
I personally liked the remote and the navigation of TS as the best in all DTHs (have seen AirTel also in other hotels), and the navigation under the TS HD falls below the TS navigation.
I am also waiting for TS to introduce HD recording - for my other room.

I'm waiting for TS+ HD and hopefully they will continue with the offers they have for the existing customers.

I can almost echo whatever Asit said. I am another fairly satisfied Bigtv customer. The only grudge I have is that big fat logo.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back