Rethm coming out with bookshelf speakers - Aarka

No offence but what a funky looking enclosure is this, loved the initial design of AARKA. This is an overkill IMO.
Hi lionx
It looks pretty cool to look in flesh.
But honestly this is the only speaker my wife loved it even before I played any thing.
She describes it similar to a jewellery.
I guess it has great WAF

Thanks @Sivasathya. What role does the tube play? And what are the two knobs on the right side of the back panel for? Which amp have your paired it with? What kind of amp is suggested?
Hi Sachin
1.The tube is for the input stage
2.The two knobs are for controlling the subwoofer - one volume
One low crossover
3.its a powered speaker- right now I have paired with Primaluna
4. You can use it as a powered speaker- just add a preamp
Or you can bypass internal amp and use external amp
Preferably tube

I will be able to answer the question in few days
- I am planning to try with my other amp- Marantz, Hegel, CA

@Sivasathya Congratulations. This design has a similarity with Klipsch La Scala speakers.. What is rest of your chain to feed Aarka?

At the outset, how is the sound quality?
Hi Saurav
It's just 3 days, still in the break in period, I really love the sound. I will be able to explain detailed after the breakin period,
So far- it has a huge sound stage, tight chesty bass - that can be tuned , excellent holographic sound stage.
Now I am trying with different amps to see how it scales. So far I liked the pairing with Primaluna the best. I will get back to you after I test it for few days.

Warm Regards to all,

Siva

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi lionx
It looks pretty cool to look in flesh.
But honestly this is the only speaker my wife loved it even before I played any thing.
She describes it similar to a jewellery.
I guess it has great WAF
With warm Regards
Siva
That's good to hear and the WAF is pretty reassuring. Seems like their entire range is adapting this design language.

Please post pics of your setup with speakers on stands. Is there a big difference between the active mode and external amp?
Hi Cooltoad,
I am building a rack instead of stands, due to domestic problem-my kid. Who likes to runaround for no reason.
I have temporarily set it up on the existing rack for the time being.
I am posting the photo - from Rethm with stands

42522E81-BC4E-437D-8AA9-4E4D6097E1F0.jpeg

Please post pics of your setup with speakers on stands. Is there a big difference between the active mode and external amp?
Regarding the difference in amps.
Yes there is a difference
But it's still in run in period - and I am trying with all my amps
Tube amp and ss. I can comment better after about a week.

That's good to hear and the WAF is pretty reassuring. Seems like their entire range is adapting this design language.
Hi lionx,
Thsrs true the entire range is adapting the same new design language except bhaava. They are not planning to change it.
All are having the rear facing subwoofers.

The aesthetic is highly divisive. Difficult to justify it within a classic room decor. Do they have variants where there’s less chrome and gray? As for the shape and the panels, it seems like manufacturability (and cost therefore) might have been a consideration.

@Sivasathya , is this the actual stand from Rethm? Have you received the stands?
Hi this is the stand pic I got from Jacob George. I have not ordered the stands.
Actually I have not even seen this stands. I have seen the older stands which are made of wood.

The aesthetic is highly divisive. Difficult to justify it within a classic room decor. Do they have variants where there’s less chrome and gray? As for the shape and the panels, it seems like manufacturability (and cost therefore) might have been a consideration.
Hi Sachin
I had a word with Jacob George. He said aarkas are a modular system
You can have colour of wood of your choice - you can remove it and fit other colour-wood

And painted finishes with leather also can be customised

The steel stand can also be painted to choice
In short - this whole look outside can be customised as per the customers choice

Hi Sachin
I had a word with Jacob George. He said aarkas are a modular system
You can have colour of wood of your choice - you can remove it and fit other colour-wood

And painted finishes with leather also can be customised

The steel stand can also be painted to choice
In short - this whole look outside can be customised as per the customers choice
Siva, that’s great to know! Customisability is a big plus. Now waiting to hear your impressions after the amp and speakers break in.

BTW, did the Aarkas come with spec sheet? In that case, can you post the specs from it here? The Rethm site is not yet updated with this info.

Siva, that’s great to know! Customisability is a big plus. Now waiting to hear your impressions after the amp and speakers break in.

BTW, did the Aarkas come with spec sheet? In that case, can you post the specs from it here? The Rethm site is not yet updated with this info.
Hi Sachin
I am posting the specs sent to me by email
Each enclosure contains the following:

Driver configuration:

1 no. 5 in. Wideband driver in front.
2 x 6 in. bass drivers at the back.

Electronics configuration:

1 amp. for bass drivers: 70 wpc. class AB solid state amp.
1 amp for wideband driver: 25 wpc hybrid amplifier with FET output and tube driver stage. Tube used as driver is 6H6P.

Rear control panel has the following:

Power on/off switch
Internal amplifier bypass switch
Level control
Crossover filter control
RCA input socket for line level signal.
Banana sockets for speaker level inputs.
Power input socket.

Size:

8.5 in. ( 21.5 cm ) Wide
18 in. ( 45 cm ) Deep
18 in. ( 45 cm ) High

Stand height: 22 in.( 55 cm ).

Weight: 15 kg. Each

Speaker sensitivity: 94 db/w/m

Minimum recommended amplification: 5 wpc.

Here are some photos at my home. I am having it in my bed room - kindly excuse me of the rac- it's not meant for aarkas
The ones meant for aarkas are still in the process. I have just kept in it in my old rac

Since my new rack is still being made. I have just kept it in my old rack for the time being. I have kept Aarkas 1 feet from the wall. And trying verying distance from the wall, as to ascertain where it performs best.

Attachments

• 35644BFE-5471-4B02-AAB0-0447BD318C0E.jpeg
    35644BFE-5471-4B02-AAB0-0447BD318C0E.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 119
  • F6FE9F26-DE9D-48B1-81E2-24ECCE1F28C6.jpeg
    F6FE9F26-DE9D-48B1-81E2-24ECCE1F28C6.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 105
Here are some photos at my home. I am having it in my bed room - kindly excuse me of the rac- it's not meant for aarkas
The ones meant for aarkas are still in the process. I have just kept in it in my old rac
They‘re going well with the room.

Rethms are known to need considerable space from front wall and are finicky to placment... Is that not the case here, is it much more flexible?

Thanks for sharing these details snd congratulations on your purchase, :)

Last edited:
Rethms are known to need considerable space from front wall and are finicky to placment... Is that not the case here, is it much more flexible?

Thanks for sharing these details snd congratulations on your purchase, :)
Hi jenson
Thanks for your kind wishes.
You are right , all the previous Rethms need considerable space. This is the first Rethm to come with the new design of the bass drivers- it's directly facing the back wall as seen in the pic.
I have kept a 2 inches insulation material on the back wall. When I kept aarkas 1feet from the wall-to-wall the bass loads very well.
That's I am getting the room augmentation of the bass- tight slammy bass, along with luscious mids, the speaker just dissapears,

I am just having a wall of sound.

I tried moving over 3 feet - the bass augmentation decreased.
This is my initial impression so far.
I am still in the experimental phase.
70D433AA-B518-4844-86C9-5EFFD2DD5B18.jpeg
With warm Regards
Siva

Hi jenson
Thanks for your kind wishes.
You are right , all the previous Rethms need considerable space. This is the first Rethm to come with the new design of the bass drivers- it's directly facing the back wall as seen in the pic.
I have kept a 2 inches insulation material on the back wall. When I kept aarkas 1feet from the wall-to-wall the bass loads very well.
That's I am getting the room augmentation of the bass- tight slammy bass, along with luscious mids, the speaker just dissapears,

I am just having a wall of sound.

I tried moving over 3 feet - the bass augmentation decreased.
This is my initial impression so far.
I am still in the experimental phase.

With warm Regards
Siva
Sounds like a great package :) looks like this will creep into many more houses.

One more query, are those metal mesh removable..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back