Sad & Shocking News: Panasonic to stop Plasma TVs from 2013

If reports are to be believed, Panasonic is mulling to exit the entire TV business.
Yes, I also read somewhere that they will be concentrating on manufacturing screens for Apple devices (ipad etc). If it really happens, then I think it's more worrisome for buyers of Panasonic TVs. I think, if they exit the TV segment entirely, supporting their existing TV customers may become less of a priority as it would become increasingly costly affair for them. Moreover, if they just focus on manufacturing screens for Apple devices, they wont be directly dealing with the end users. So, may be, maintaining brand reputation wont be their priority.

Last edited:
Is it official news or rumour?

It has become a pattern that companies exit plasma business once they reach Kuro darkness. Panasonic was slated to reach there by next year.

Looks like they discover something dangerous when they reach such dark areas.. :eek:hyeah:

If reports are to be believed, Panasonic is mulling to exit the entire TV business.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Their finances are too messed up - so there could be some credibility in this rumor.

Sony is also going through very tough times - and getting solid hammering on the finance front.

James Bond Cant Fix Sony as Japan Electronics Scrape Lows: Tech - Businessweek

Is it a coincidence that Sony and Panasonic have collaborated for certain TV businesses (OLED TVs)?

^

Sony expects 1 billion dollars + profit for 2012-13 whereas Panasonic is going to post 12 billion dollar loss. :) They really can't be compared. The past Quarter too Sony posted a profit, but due to hike in taxes they had to report a net loss. Although this is largely due to consolidation of Sony Ericsson, as the mobile business boosted Sony's revenues by a significant margin.

Last edited:
Sony wont be making big profits any times soon,the only two most profitable electronics company in world right now are Apple and Samsung.

Weve already heard about Apple and Samsungs record breaking profits, Nokias terrible fall from grace, Google and Microsofts worrying drops, and HTCs disastrous results, and now its Sonys turn to let us peek into the conglomerates internal affairs.

Unlike everybody else, Sony cant really be either happy or sad with the Q3 2012 (or Q2, as they call it, with their fiscal year ending for some reason in March 2013) financial results. From a historical perspective, things are starting to look good for the Japanese, whove managed to cut losses from $5.7 billion in total last year and $312 million in the previous quarter to $198 million between July and September 2012.

Still, the company continues to lose money, and that cant be good, despite the pretty impressive revenue boost to $20.6 billion. Sonys most profitable department continues to be mobile, whos been responsible for generating $3.9 billion in revenue this latest fiscal quarter, which is more than double last years results.
Sony releases bittersweet Q2 2012 financial results

Beats me; how can a company like Panasonic be going through loss! Has competition from Sony and Samsung become too much for it. And is Plasma TV section Panasonic is pretty much unbeatable if you ask me. And less players in the market will mean costly TV; see what happened in the airline segment with the collapse of Kingfisher.

I just bought one a few months back!
a128.jpg

Panasonic won't compromise on after sales quality.
As far as I know Panasonic will stop manufacturing TVs in near future........ so hold your breath or tears. ( I have been a Panasonic fan since my birth):sad:

It's sad no doubt. I would have liked if Panasonic tried to compete again and climb up a few spots in terms of market share. But I guess their current financial crisis doesn't allow them to take such big risks.

Still, they are not quitting the TV market altogether. At CES they are going to announce their OLED Tvs.

Well all good technologies has to end with advancements,but only due to financial loss plasma is seeing the end,however if you take another way people who are having good plasma tvs will not get even if you want to have and spend a lakh or more.

I had almost finalized my purchase of a PDP as I want a 50 incher and cant seem to afford that big an LED.
Now I might just postpone my buying decision by some 6 months and see if prices of LCD panels become less painful!

Late into the thread.
Am utterly devastated.:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:
Not because I am worrying about service.
But because a great TV technology will come to an end.
Now I need to safeguard my panny. If it goes caput, I would be forced to go back and buy an LED!

So Panasonic will now consolidate itself in the business of FM radio sets and washing machines? Morons.

Anyway, it will be the end of plasma vs lcd fights after all.
Now it wont be any deeper blacks but only background flood lights for us.

This was bound to happen someday. It is now hands down to the CES announcements. But even if this year Panasonic announces to stay alive in the plasma business, there is nothing to prevent them in abandoning the plan mid year.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
BTW people, Samsung is not exiting plasma business by any stretch. so plasma is not coming to an end. Only Panasonic is quitting. Just to clarify.

Hope Panasonic's plasma business stays afloat. Even if doesn't then why such lament? It's just another business shutting shop. Btw, what happened to Kuro plasmas after Pioneer stopped their plasma line, any clue?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hope Panasonic's plasma business stays afloat. Even if doesn't then why such lament? It's just another business shutting shop. Btw, what happened to Kuro plasmas after Pioneer stopped their plasma line, any clue?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

They became priced possessions selling used mostly at mrp or more for quite sometime.
I think people moved on hence.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back