Sad & Shocking News: Panasonic to stop Plasma TVs from 2013

I wish samsung takes over panny's plasma business.:D
Too much technology to go wasted...
But with oled in the horizon this is unlikely.:sad:

To me, this is neither sad nor shocking. There have been efforts for quite some time to ban high energy consuming TV's. (I don't know if California got around to banning plasma TVs but it was in the news few years ago) From what I understand, plasma TV consume a lot more energy than LCD tv. So, it is not surprising that plasma business takes a hit with more awareness about energy consumption. I am not even sure if Plasma has some clear advantage over LCD. Anyway, it is all part of the product cycle I guess.

They became priced possessions selling used mostly at mrp or more for quite sometime.
I think people moved on hence.

Okay, so I guess people will move on post Panasonic too. I got a GT50 few days back. It is no doubt a very capable display, but other techs will catch up soon in couple of years. Nothing much to worry or be saddened about.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I miss the Kuro, and now it seems I won't be able to upgrade my Panasonic, when the time comes.

Oh well, more power to Apple, can't wait to see what they come up with. You never know - just like Pana bought the Kuro business from Pioneer, it might be Apple buying the whole plasma biz from Panasonic !

Viki

I miss the Kuro, and now it seems I won't be able to upgrade my Panasonic, when the time comes.

Oh well, more power to Apple, can't wait to see what they come up with. You never know - just like Pana bought the Kuro business from Pioneer, it might be Apple buying the whole plasma biz from Panasonic !

Viki

Amen! :)

I sure with that happens!

To me, this is neither sad nor shocking. There have been efforts for quite some time to ban high energy consuming TV's. (I don't know if California got around to banning plasma TVs but it was in the news few years ago) From what I understand, plasma TV consume a lot more energy than LCD tv. So, it is not surprising that plasma business takes a hit with more awareness about energy consumption. I am not even sure if Plasma has some clear advantage over LCD. Anyway, it is all part of the product cycle I guess.

Energy consumption vs picture quality.The purists wouldn't mind paying extra for PQ. It is like cutting the foot because the shoe is small.:)

What is the final word here? Is Panasonic exiting consumer Plasma TV biz ..? Can any legit Panny dealers corroborate this somehow?

I am in the mkt for 50'' and was biased towards 50UT50. Am in wait-n-watch mode now.

What is the final word here? Is Panasonic exiting consumer Plasma TV biz ..? Can any legit Panny dealers corroborate this somehow?

I am in the mkt for 50'' and was biased towards 50UT50. Am in wait-n-watch mode now.

I think you should go and grab it before it is out of stock, if you like the plasma PQ. Panasonic cannot afford a suit now and they would continue their support I guess .

Panasonic S60 2013 model has been leaked. :)

At least in US, there will be 2013 models. But Panasonic is going to stop plasma R&D by March 2013. So that means no plasmas from Panasonic in 2014.

I guess in 2013 Panasonic will make only a limited number of plasmas and hence why Panasonic may be withdrawing plasmas from India and most of Asia next year. Only in USA Panny plasmas will be sold perhaps in 2013.

Vishal: You can safely assume what I posted is true for India

Avmaxfan: The said model (s60) has been removed from the Panasonic US website

Last edited:
Will Panasonic stop its projector manufacturing also? I have recently seen their high end projector. It was terrific. Alternatives for plasma fans , I guess.:licklips:

^

Sony expects 1 billion dollars + profit for 2012-13 whereas Panasonic is going to post 12 billion dollar loss. :)

Buddy source of info? pls? Andwhat about accumlated lossed in last 4-5 years?
how they are going to wipe them?

Would this be the time then to buy Panny Plasma TV's are good discounts? Would Panny support them for about 3 - 5 years?

Should the fact that Panny might exit the TV business in the future influence your current purchase decision?

Will Panasonic stop its projector manufacturing also? I have recently seen their high end projector. It was terrific. Alternatives for plasma fans , I guess.:licklips:

God only knows! He never talked with me!!

what is the source for this i cant find any. Its better to post the source , i think they are discontinuing 42 inch models only.

I guess as OLED capacity ramps up and prices get pushed down, we should see the best of what plasma and LED have to offer -- or so I have heard.

On a side note, LG has announced pre-ordering of the 55 inch OLED screen at around 10000 USD across South Korea.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back