Samsung 64F8500 - No Picture - Service quote is 80k

I have just got a call from head-office telling me they will try to work out some form of a discount, but no promises as of now.

I remember my cousin who was a VP in Sansui telling me that the manufacturing cost of flat panel TVs is only about 20% of the selling price. They forecast after taking into account the warranty claims and then some for televisions.

No wonder micromax,videocon,philips et all can offer TVs at low prices and extended warranty and still make profit. Only if they could match the picture quality of the bigger brands even if they charge a little more than the rock bottom prices. the bigger brands no doubt rip off the consumers keeping in view the reliability factor

You cannot/should not forget/ignore the cost of advertisement of Tendulkar or SRK. :D

I have just got a call from head-office telling me they will try to work out some form of a discount, but no promises as of now.

That is a much better response from Samsung for a customer who has bought the flagship product...

Sorry for butting in but i am in a similar boat with my samsung 32 led,the company has assured me of something so waiting for their final response

invest in a PJ setup for such prices... or better still roll with something like Micromax... at least you can buy 5-6 TVs for that price.

True indeed!
My Sony is doing well for over 3 years now but seriously thinking not to go that way again. A PJ setup or a Micromax/VU/Intex is right path considering the current scenario.

No wonder micromax,videocon,philips et all can offer TVs at low prices and extended warranty and still make profit. Only if they could match the picture quality of the bigger brands even if they charge a little more than the rock bottom prices. the bigger brands no doubt rip off the consumers keeping in view the reliability factor

On contrary, I quite like the PQ of Philips. The black level and skin is great on Philips TV.

One of the guys mentioned that they are not selling Samsung TVs anymore due to the sheer number of panel failure. They are apparently discarded with no form of repair. I don't know if other brands or better or if he only aold Samsung.

Sad to hear. But even more sad is the stand of the company.

The real problem is that the consumer protection laws in our country are still pathetic. As per UK law this same company would have to ensure that their product gave the consumer the expected quality and service over the average life of the product irrespective of the warranty. It is based on the type of product and the amount of money spent. This does not mean that they would have to keep in servicing it for free, but if a panel of a 2000 TV should have lasted 5 years, they should bear the cost of the panel for the residual 4 years of service that you didn't get out of it. That's why in every warranty document, companies in UK have to mention by law that the warranty period does not undermine your right as a consumer. I don't know how long will it take for laws of our country to reach that level.

Sad to hear. But even more sad is the stand of the company.

The real problem is that the consumer protection laws in our country are still pathetic. As per UK law this same company would have to ensure that their product gave the consumer the expected quality and service over the average life of the product irrespective of the warranty. It is based on the type of product and the amount of money spent. This does not mean that they would have to keep in servicing it for free, but if a panel of a 2000 TV should have lasted 5 years, they should bear the cost of the panel for the residual 4 years of service that you didn't get out of it. That's why in every warranty document, companies in UK have to mention by law that the warranty period does not undermine your right as a consumer. I don't know how long will it take for laws of our country to reach that level.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well said :clapping::clapping::clapping:
I have noticed that US/EU customers are given 3 to 5 years of warranty for their AVRs/AMPs/Speakers but in India, customers only get 1year. This is rip-off. A product which is sold around at $400 in US, but in India, 50% more is added to the price. Price is more but warranty period is less :mad:

I remember my cousin who was a VP in Sansui telling me that the manufacturing cost of flat panel TVs is only about 20% of the selling price. They forecast after taking into account the warranty claims and then some for televisions.

The same Samsung replaced my 2 yr old DVD player when it went kaput 13 yrs back free of cost. That point of time they were more worried about market share & goodwill, today they are a giant, and like most giant they too believe they are above a common consumer.

@Vij. Have you got any workaround so far?

I am happy to report Samsung issued me a refund minus 10% depreciation :) During my purchase I had got a discount from the dealer on top of the invoice, so I basically got back almost all the money even after they cut the 10%.

Here is their return box
samsung-return-box.jpg

I have mentioned all details in my blog post - Samsung India issued me refund after warranty expiry

Last edited:
I am happy to report Samsung issued me a refund minus 10% depreciation :) During my purchase I had got a discount from the dealer on top of the invoice, so I basically got back almost all the money even after they cut the 10%.

Here is their return box
samsung-return-box.jpg

I have mentioned all details in my blog post - Samsung India issued me refund after warranty expiry
Thats really good to hear vij :). I would say it is super duper.

Good to hear.
I suggest you update all your online threads with this information.
Makes people trust the brand more.

Hi
My name is Pol and i live in Greece. I have the same problem with my 64f8500. Sometimes when i turn it on i have no picture and sound comes after one minute. I can change the channels and here the audio but no picture. I must close it, unplug it, wait some minutes (to cool off maby?) and then put the plug again and open it to work normal with picture. I have it 2 years and i am out of warranty. Can i fix the problem with no panel change? I dont have the money to change the panel...
Thanks

Unfortunately I'm exactly in the same situation. The TV gave in 10 days after warranty. Wrote to Samsung executive committee (thanks to Vij for the whole episode) yesterday. Got a first response today. Although their response was not so encouraging, I was promised that some senior official will get back today or tomorrow. Hope for a positive end to my story.

Appreciate any views/suggestions on this, while I try to get in touch with Vij offline for any specific inputs from him.

Thanks

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back