Seagate Home Theater Plus or Pioneer BDP

Shivam

I am using Seagate Home Theater Plus media player for video files (mkv, mp4 and avi) from hard discs and sometimes from a network drive. Now I have recently acquired a Pioneer BluRay player (BDP-150) which I have been using mostly for SACDs.

I am planning to let one of these go. Which one should I change ?

I can sell off the Seagate and use the Pioneer as a media player as well as for bluray/dvds; and buy a new player for SACDs.

I can sell off the Pioneer and buy a dedicated SACD player and a used (secondhand) dvd player for video. I have mostly DVDs and no BluRays.

I think Pioneer also plays SACDs ? If you not happy with Pioneer sound quality then dedicated DAC should solve your problem.

This is just my opinion as I haven't ever came across dedicated SACD player.

I think Pioneer also plays SACDs ? If you not happy with Pioneer sound quality then dedicated DAC should solve your problem.

This is just my opinion as I haven't ever came across dedicated SACD player.

Actually SACD players don't output to digital. This bluray has a digital output, plays SACDs and the sound quality is acceptable. I do have a very good DAC and so DAC is not a problem.

I have to decide which of these two sell, so that I can plan a good SACD player. My wife likes movies more and so I have to think something for the movie files and DVDs too.

I am using Seagate Home Theater Plus media player for video files (mkv, mp4 and avi) from hard discs and sometimes from a network drive. Now I have recently acquired a Pioneer BluRay player (BDP-150) which I have been using mostly for SACDs.

I am planning to let one of these go. Which one should I change ?

I can sell off the Seagate and use the Pioneer as a media player as well as for bluray/dvds; and buy a new player for SACDs.

I can sell off the Pioneer and buy a dedicated SACD player and a used (secondhand) dvd player for video. I have mostly DVDs and no BluRays.

Well, let go of the Media Player, if the BDP-150 well serves your movie needs(File Support) as a blu ray player is intended at a long term investment and even if you do not own blu-ray's now, you might own them in future for self satisfaction(Torrent-Rip's are much better).
A basic Comparison:
1. Internet Support- Both Support Internet Services.
2. 3D Support and Future Compatibility- The BDP-150 is an easy winner.
3. SACD Support- Both Support SACD's.
4.Also, Both require you to purchase, a wireless Dongle in case you want to use Internet Services wirelessly.

From What I acquire, Sell off the Media Player. :)

Well, let go of the Media Player, if the BDP-150 well serves your movie needs(File Support) as a blu ray player is intended at a long term investment and even if you do not own blu-ray's now, you might own them in future for self satisfaction(Torrent-Rip's are much better).
A basic Comparison:
1. Internet Support- Both Support Internet Services.
2. 3D Support and Future Compatibility- The BDP-150 is an easy winner.
3. SACD Support- Both Support SACD's.
4.Also, Both require you to purchase, a wireless Dongle in case you want to use Internet Services wirelessly.

From What I acquire, Sell off the Media Player. :)

You mean to say Pioneer BDP has all the features and functions which a good media player(eg.WD TV Live, Dune HD Etc) can perform?

I am looking for a media player, zeroed on Dune HD TV101/Popbox V8 at 11.5k. My requirements are, it should be able to support
1.Video: mkv,avi,mp4
2.Audio: AAC(must),AC3, DTS-HDMA, Dolby Digital,Dolby Tru HD
3.Should have 1080p upscaling capabilities for downloaded brrips.

if Pioneer BDP serves my above purpose then it's really worth getting it as additionally, I'll be getting Blu Ray player along. Request your input please.

You mean to say Pioneer BDP has all the features and functions which a good media player(eg.WD TV Live, Dune HD Etc) can perform?

I am looking for a media player, zeroed on Dune HD TV101/Popbox V8 at 11.5k. My requirements are, it should be able to support
1.Video: mkv,avi,mp4
2.Audio: AAC(must),AC3, DTS-HDMA, Dolby Digital,Dolby Tru HD
3.Should have 1080p upscaling capabilities for downloaded brrips.

if Pioneer BDP serves my above purpose then it's really worth getting it as additionally, I'll be getting Blu Ray player along. Request your input please.

Hi Bpranay

I am in the same boat, i also need to decide on bluray player or media player. but my preference will blu ray player. From the data available on the internet Pioneer BDP 150 seems to be a very good option and it can also accomodate sacd, who know 2 years from now sacd become popular.

I would request Shivam (the current user of this player) to give his feed back on the Pioneed BDP 150 with regards to video as well as audio capabilties.

We have to also check if the same is easily available or not as i could not find the details of this player on pioneed website.

I found Rediff selling it online for 14k, this price seems little higher. following is the link.
Pioneer Bdp-150 3d Blu Ray DVD Player - price in India : Rediff Shopping

Regards, Amit

I have used BDP 150 mainly for SACDs. The optical out helps a lot. As far as I know SACD players are not allowed to output digital but this one does. I am not sure about the conversion taking place. The sound from SACDs from its digital out through a DAC definitely sounds better than the CD layer.

I have tried a few BluRays and found the picture quality to be excellent. I mostly have DVDs and this player is supposed to have full upscaling capabilities. I had calibrated my setup's display using THX calibration disc.

The mkv. mp4 and avi files play with similar quality on both the Seagate and Pioneer. I have a wifi to LAN converter (Netgear) and with this I am able to access youtube on both the players.

@AmitKumar - the price on rediff is good. I had paid a higher amount especially since mine is region free.

I have tried a few BluRays and found the picture quality to be excellent. I mostly have DVDs and this player is supposed to have full upscaling capabilities. I had calibrated my setup's display using THX calibration disc.

The mkv. mp4 and avi files play with similar quality on both the Seagate and Pioneer. I have a wifi to LAN converter (Netgear) and with this I am able to access youtube on both the players.

@AmitKumar - the price on rediff is good. I had paid a higher amount especially since mine is region free.

what about subtitle formats? does it support any of them? Also what about AAC audio format? Any idea whether it supports AAC audio?

I have never tried subtitles and aac in either of the players.

I like movies in their native languages and without subtitles (that does limit the movies to the languages that I can understand). For audio, I use flac, sometimes wav and very rarely mp3.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back