Sending audio equipment via courier within India

pradeep.kanyar

Hi,
I haven't done this before and was wondering if someone could advise based on prior experience or knowledge.

I have a faulty B&W Zeppelin speaker that I need to send to Audio Vision in Mumbai (I stay in Bangalore). When I talked to a couple of courier service companies [Blue Dart and DTDC] I got some conflicting information.

1. Air shipping is not possible since the item has electronic/magnetic content.
2. Only option is to send it via road, and that too there is a Octroi charge to it (according to BlueDart). The weight of the speaker is approx 10 Kgs (including original packaging) and they say the shipping cost comes to about Rs 2500.

Is the above accurate. Are there other alternatives that I could use from your prior experience?

Thanks in advance,
Pradeep

Hi,
I haven't done this before and was wondering if someone could advise based on prior experience or knowledge.

I have a faulty B&W Zeppelin speaker that I need to send to Audio Vision in Mumbai (I stay in Bangalore). When I talked to a couple of courier service companies [Blue Dart and DTDC] I got some conflicting information.

2. Only option is to send it via road, and that too there is a Octroi charge to it (according to BlueDart). The weight of the speaker is approx 10 Kgs (including original packaging) and they say the shipping cost comes to about Rs 2500.

Is the above accurate. Are there other alternatives that I could use from your prior experience?

Thanks in advance,
Pradeep

No octroi needs to be paid if you put a declaration saying its dead equipment being sent for repairs.

Bluedart guys do not know their own policies. When I asked them in the morning if they would accept shipment of speakers they said yes and asked me to pack it and bring. When I came back to them in the afternoon after packing they asked me to remove the packaging to inspect what was there and told me that they cannot accept it 'as per Indian Constitution' - no joking or sarcasm, that's precisely what he told me. If he was right, I think our constitution was formed by someone who was against audiophiles!

DTDC was more competent in handling this and accepted the parcel. They did not charge me octroi as it was used and being sent for service. They shipped it by air.

Other option is to look out for 'movers and packers'. they should accept it as they use only the road for transporting anyway. Just give a declaration letter that they are yours and you are sending it for service

I sent a pair of book shelf speakers to Mumbai for a friend and it cost me about Rs 1200 by DTDC. I don't remember the weight of the package or how much they charged me per KG though

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
Pradeep

Hey Pradeep

If you can do some good packing for the stuff, like nice cartons with lots of thermocol to protect, then just give me a call, will let you know the courier fellow.
I have a tie up with them, they are good in transit, but at packing they suck..
So if you can do nice packing then the total charges for 10 KGs...
should be around Rs.75 per KG...

Hey Pradeep

If you can do some good packing for the stuff, like nice cartons with lots of thermocol to protect, then just give me a call, will let you know the courier fellow.
I have a tie up with them, they are good in transit, but at packing they suck..
So if you can do nice packing then the total charges for 10 KGs...
should be around Rs.75 per KG...

Hi Maridul, i think it will be better for all the forum members to know the best courier service in India to deal with ! Pls do share with us if you have some good ideas or good ppl who handle these kind of activity !

Hi Maridul, i think it will be better for all the forum members to know the best courier service in India to deal with ! Pls do share with us if you have some good ideas or good ppl who handle these kind of activity !

Bro

Its Mridul (Not Maridul), I dont like Mari Buiscuits...LOL...:p

Anyways, the reason for not sharing the Courier Fellow name in public is as, this particular fellow mainly deals in B2B cargo, and heavy air cargo by air and by rail, otherwise doesn't much entertain walkin customers, and even if they do there card rate is approx. Rs.120 per KG.

But as this was the first this kind of enquiry for the transit, and as this person is from Bangalore, i thought of offering him the thing...

Sorry, for putting you down...

The question remains the same, to find solution of the courier service for the domestic cargo for the general public not case sensitive ! Any one with better ideas................
RB9

we have used a combination of DTDC, Pafex, Bluedart and Gatti.
Bluedart is the best IMO in the way the handle the package and speed of delivery, they are expensive though. In general courier by air gets better treatment then by road. as someone mentioned, ensure that its packed really well and that there is plastic wrapping around (if there is exposure to wet weather).

Some of the above have offered as low as Rs 50/kg

cheers

we have used a combination of DTDC, Pafex, Bluedart and Gatti.
Bluedart is the best IMO in the way the handle the package and speed of delivery, they are expensive though. In general courier by air gets better treatment then by road. as someone mentioned, ensure that its packed really well and that there is plastic wrapping around (if there is exposure to wet weather).

Some of the above have offered as low as Rs 50/kg

cheers

Thanx odyssey for this post. I would like to ask as did you tell them that you are sending electronics items ? I also tried to send some electronics items(from Delhi) but finally sent through some friend COZ i didn't get satisfactory reply from the courier company like: price per KG / were not sure about electronics handling etc........
above that, the price mentioned by you seems more realistic & affordable .
Thanx again
RB9

Pls keep in mind that Rs 50/kg is through road and thru lower priced couriers, not someone like Bluedart. I sent a DAC (~2kgs) to Mumbai recently through Blue dart by air, it cost Rs 1200, picked up from my door at 6 pm and delivered next day in Navi Mumabi at 11 am to recepients door.

All packages will be checked, do not seal them before the courier person checks the contents. You are also not supposed to under-invoice when it cross the state border, so when dealing with standard items whose MRP is printed, pls be careful. I have never heard of anyone incurring a problem though.

In general air packages will be handled more delicately than "by road"

cheers

I have sent used electronics via GATI two times from Bangalore. Ludhiana and Chennai. No issues. You can call their customer service and register. They fix a time and come and pick it up.
Please tell the customer care air-head that this is used equipment send for repair and has no commercial value. You will need to furnish a letter (two or three signed copies) mentioning the same. It is around 70 bucks per kg for road.

Have also got equipment through GATI, but ensure your paper work is in order, otherwise the Octroi in Mumbai is 4.50% of the declared value.

Hi Folks,
Thanks a lot for the responses. In general, I think I got the picture. I just sent it through DTDC a few days back as I was in a hurry this time and will definitely take up on Mridul's contact next time around. Its really nice to know that a lot of folks took the time to reply and contribute. I am just praying to God and hoping that it doesn't get damaged in transit (I had retained the original packing in which the speaker had arrived, but still will only be certain once it reaches the dealer intact).

Cheers,
Pradeep

Use Gati /XPs cargo services ...courier will be 3 times costlier .

some are as low as 20Rs/kg
i sent desktop 2 times GUWAHATI ->Delhi and Delhi->Bangalore.. just 700Rs

make sure you insist fragile stickers for sensitive goods.

they offer insurance also .

Kaushik

Dont want to let you down...about GATI..
i know, some rare cases happens..

I sent Rs.2L material around 60KG volume weight from Gwalior to Bangalore...
It took 2 months, to reach, that too after sending them a registered post...
And to my surprise, only one packet was being delivered, out of 6 packets, which was further being refused by the party...

And till today, after almost 2 years, we havent gt any details on the same, we have filed a case in for the same, but no use...

Complete loss to me...

Mridul,

may be a unusual case for you .

i have not done any business related transfers ..or huge packages but my desktop was delivered in short time approx 10days.

there are shipping insurance etc provisions check out their sites....i declared my pc as of 30k value...may be if lost i could have claimed...

One more is ARAMEX

there are lot of companies that use these regularly ......

Sending electronic equipment via courier within India

Here we all are looking for the relevant and useful information that can help other to proceed further. If any B2B courier company is accepting electronic equipment for delivery from one state to other through airways and at genuine price then please let us know to all by giving detail of that company.
For reference we want to send laptop.

Rug Exporter,Indian Supplier,Vase Supplier,India Mart,Gift Ideas
Ascraft is "Indian Supplier",Vase Supplier,Rug Exporter,Gift Ideas,Home Decor Manufacturer

Re: Sending electronic equipment via courier within India

Here we all are looking for the relevant and useful information that can help other to proceed further. If any B2B courier company is accepting electronic equipment for delivery from one state to other through airways and at genuine price then please let us know to all by giving detail of that company.
For reference we want to send laptop.

Ascraft is "Indian Supplier",Vase Supplier,Rug Exporter,Gift Ideas,Home Decor Manufacturer

Visited your website, at first instance by looking at the slogan "Make her happy" & picture I thought something else... :lol:

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back