Should I import my old Plasma and projector or a new TV?

RetinalNV

Hi Guys,

Panasonic 42" 1080P Plasma TV - TH-P42U30

I really love the PQ on my Plasma. The resale value here is very bad (like INR7k) so I'm thinking of carrying it back to India on TR and getting a projector as well.

Obviously buying a new TV is more attractive - but based in Australia and prices aren't super competitive, sometimes there's blowout deals and for last years stock.

Instead of splurging on a new TV I was thinking of buying a projector instead.

On ToR the import duty is 15% on the invoice price.

Looks like about 72000/- INR for Optoma in Melbourne and price in India is around 110000-/ INR with taxes and 2 year local warranty?

E.g.
Optoma HD141X
Optoma GT1080

Get the plasma. If it is working fine, bomb proof pack it and bring it.

The latest 4K oir LED TVs are mostly prone to failure within 2-4 years of purchase.

Since it is a TR, your duties are likely to be less.

But I will let others comment on that.

Get the plasma. If it is working fine, bomb proof pack it and bring it.

It's working perfect and sparingly used. I have the option of professional packing (re-enforced plasma box with 4 corner styrofoam insert and box straps) for around 5k INR or do it myself packing (packing blanket wrapped, in a box, in a bigger pox surrounded by styrofoam/filling to take the flex and keep first box in place).

While I have not kept in touch with all the new technology, I don't like the look of the new sharp LED's. Plasma quality on this panel suits my viewing tastes!

The latest 4K oir LED TVs are mostly prone to failure within 2-4 years of purchase.

Since it is a TR, your duties are likely to be less.

But I will let others comment on that.

The duty is 15% on items.

Also for used item of 4 years depreciation could be around 38% of the original invoice.

I'm getting the Optoma HD26 for INR 35000/- Duty on TR will be around INR 5-7k based on the customs exchange rate calculation.

So if the same is available in India with warranty for around 55-60k I would buy locally but so far I've seen 75k+ prices on the forum.

Any info?

Thanks
p.s. I'm also interested in the Benq HT675 but finding hard to source at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back