Showcase Your Turntable

Here is my setup after accquiring the the technics TT

All the credit of this setup goes to fellow FMs of HFV who have relentlessly helped with timely suggestions to get this setup done. I will mention a few names like reuben, raghu, sachin, joshua, bhaskar, record player, my ofc colleague sounak, omishra who has significant contribution in this regard.

The TT technics SL3200 is on a sliding tray, I know it is inferior to fixed bases but the rack was made like that to save space

a8eny6yv.jpg

This is with the tray slided in so that you can see the amp below and notice that the cnc which is tucked on the left of amp has the 2 9v rechargeable batteries at the front
9u2urane.jpg

A closer look at the CNC how it is tucked in and has the power switch on the top. Can be operated with the trays slided out.
yvedysu9.jpg

A few essential tools for the maintainance, includes record and stylus cleaning and adjustment tools.
a2uzajag.jpg

A closer look at the mounted shure cart
ejuzazub.jpg

Last edited:
Looks splendid. The 3200 is one of the most elegant of Technics TTs. Its simplicity is what makes it stand out. It also looks a bit chunky, which adds to the looks, when compared to some of the other Technics DDs (outside the SL1200/1210 series). But I must suggest that you scrap the sliding tray asap. The biggest problem is that your turntable won't be stable and also it would be extremely difficult to retain the tonearm calibration if the base is floating :)

btw, the highlights of the SL3200 include a lovely crafted platter (has the Garrard look and feel to it), a fantastically reliable tonearm that can track, as some would say, even a chapathi and not to forget the auto-return feature for guys like me who fall asleep listening to vinyl during late nights.

Lovely! The 3200 looks fantastic and I sure its now producing some quality sound :). After a certain amount of playing hours on the m97xe, it will sound even better.

I miss the auto return feature :( I cannot afford to fall asleep like Reuben :) there are times I'm half asleep only because I know I have to do the Auto Return me self :)

I think you are all set now, time to sit back and enjoy the Music...

Last edited:
Thanks Reuben, I will keep suggestions in mind. however the alternate to get rid of the tray is to put the TT on a separate table, but space is an issue :( So as workaround (kind of inconvenient) I try to check the weight at the cart with the digital scale and also the horizontal levelling with the spirit level every alternate days I run the TT.

Regarding SL3200 features, yes I too like auto return feature of the tonearm, but owning to the space cruch I had to keep the dust cover (not in picture but there) separated.

Thanks Saket. I sure will do that.

Hello Record player.!

was looking at all the turntables. I am completely new to this forum. Never did I imagine that there are such wonderful turntables used today.

If you come across any contacts who sells these rack system type ones, kindly share the contacts. I am desperately looking for one TT & Amp under Rs 8K budget.

Recently I bought a TT in mysore HMV one (Not in 100% original one), but I could put that to Aux. unit, since there was no pre amp, I could hardly hear anything.

My contact : Ananth : [email protected] : 9900144315

Hello Record player.!

was looking at all the turntables. I am completely new to this forum. Never did I imagine that there are such wonderful turntables used today.

If you come across any contacts who sells these rack system type ones, kindly share the contacts. I am desperately looking for one TT & Amp under Rs 8K budget.

Recently I bought a TT in mysore HMV one (Not in 100% original one), but I could put that to Aux. unit, since there was no pre amp, I could hardly hear anything.

My contact : Ananth : [email protected] : 9900144315

Hey there Ananth,

If this is your first step into Vinyl, I and many FMs would suggest a direct drive Japanese make with semi automatic features. You should be able to find one in your given price range. A good technics DD maybe but they are not very easy to find. But if you do get a good technics, you can hold onto that for a very long time :).

Will let you know if anything comes by. I also see that you have posted in the wanted thread and lets see how that goes.

Last edited:
+1 to what RP said, we've all gone this way and it has worked well for us.

My (our family's) turntable journey:

1) Dad had a HMV wind-up Gramophone with a custom built light weight counter-balanced tonearm, mono ceramic cart and a modified governor playing through a radio during his school days in the 1950s (the LPs came from the American Library back then)
2) HMV Calypso (1965-1972)
3) Garrard SP25 Mk1 (1972-2003)
4) Teac P988 (2003-2005)
5) Technics SLBD20B (2005-2006)
6) Technics SL3200 (2006 - present)
7) Garrard RC210 (2013 - present)
8) Lenco L75 (2013 - present)

After seeing all these, one thing is clear, you really can't beat a Technics Direct drive like the 3200

Edit: The Garrard also continued on till 2010 (has now found a new home with a fellow forum member)

Hey there Ananth,

If this is your first step into Vinyl, I and many FMs would suggest a direct drive Japanese make with semi automatic features. You should be able to find one in your given price range. A good technics DD maybe but they are not very easy to find. But if you do get a good technics, you can hold onto that for a very long time :).

Will let you know if anything comes by. I also see that you have posted in the wanted thread and lets see how that goes.

Last edited:
I too play the 3200 without the dust cover. Yes, both of us have to get new racks at some point. My rid is kind of sitting on an ancient table from my grandmother's days (early 1900s).

v4h1.jpg

1x3d.jpg

Thanks Reuben, I will keep suggestions in mind. however the alternate to get rid of the tray is to put the TT on a separate table, but space is an issue :( So as workaround (kind of inconvenient) I try to check the weight at the cart with the digital scale and also the horizontal levelling with the spirit level every alternate days I run the TT.

Regarding SL3200 features, yes I too like auto return feature of the tonearm, but owning to the space cruch I had to keep the dust cover (not in picture but there) separated.

Reuben, you reminded me... I had a wind-up gramophone!

OK, I'm not that old, I got it from my parents. It was not one of the glorious horn affairs, it just had some kind of sound box attached the the "cartridge," which was of the needle type. Purely acoustic, no electrical/electronic function whatsoever.

But it was not just a curiosity. We had a radiogram, but it frequently went wrong, and I used the wind-up for music listening.

Long since lost, no photographic evidence even. But I don't think it was HMV or anything special of the time.

If I recollect correctly from some old photographs that I remember seeing with Dad, his gramophone looked something like this:

HMV+box.JPG

HMV+front+record.JPG

HMV+front.JPG

He got it from his grandfather as a gift and from what he used to talk about, he was quite famous in his engineering school back then for being the only guy who had a modified contraption that could play microgroove records (with a rewind after ever song I suppose).

Reuben, you reminded me... I had a wind-up gramophone!

OK, I'm not that old, I got it from my parents. It was not one of the glorious horn affairs, it just had some kind of sound box attached the the "cartridge," which was of the needle type. Purely acoustic, no electrical/electronic function whatsoever.

But it was not just a curiosity. We had a radiogram, but it frequently went wrong, and I used the wind-up for music listening.

Long since lost, no photographic evidence even. But I don't think it was HMV or anything special of the time.

Wow! That is very similar to my memory of ours!

The round sounding box was the same. I don't remember if the arm assembly folded away like that, or where the winding handle fitted.

Of course, there would have been a lot of them about once. I suppose, even in those days, there were probably differences in quality.

Anyway, whether ours was "audiophile" or not ;) --- Happy Memories!

Did you ever listen to a record by holding the needle between your teeth? I'm ashamed to say that I did! But 78s wore out anyway. Or got broken, especially when handled by youngsters,

Reuben, thanks for the photographs.. this must be the corner of your listening hall that I remember seeing the picture of sometime back on this forum :) Until I find a better place to keep them, I might have to live with what I have. Do you think wall mounted racks (firmly fit) can be an option?

Reuben, thanks for the photographs.. this must be the corner of your listening hall that I remember seeing the picture of sometime back on this forum :) Until I find a better place to keep them, I might have to live with what I have. Do you think wall mounted racks (firmly fit) can be an option?

Many audiophiles prefer wall mounted racks for turntables, like these:

wallshelf2.jpg

1sj0803.jpg

Adam_Billingham_Audio+Suspension_www_audiosuspension_com_test_review_matej_isak_monoandstereo_mono_and_stereo.jpg

The issue with this arrangement is that the fixture kind of becomes a permanent one.

Yes, my rig is in the corner, away from direct view from the listening position.

16t8.jpg

Last edited:
I too play the 3200 without the dust cover. Yes, both of us have to get new racks at some point. My rid is kind of sitting on an ancient table from my grandmother's days (early 1900s).
IMHO Dont understimate the impact of your current table..being old wood and solid construction it may do far better than going for any other sensibly priced Rack .
What you can work on is some Isolation. depending on the TT anything from 4-5 Squash Balls to a solid Slate or Thick wooden base under the table can do wonders and should be a lot more cost effective !
of course you need to remove the other equipment from under it into another rack :)

Wall mounting is a good option but not always practical - especially if the table is very heavy. The primary advantage of wall mounting is that any vibrations from the rack/stand etc would not reach the record player. However one major issue is to get the wall mounted shelf absolutely flat. No matter how much you try, there will be some sag with age.

However there are other ways of isolating it too. I ended getting a good heavy table and put a set of soundfoundations isobase footers on them and then put a really heavy wood granite composite surface on top of the footers. The footers can be adjusted for height so the top granite surface is absolutely level. My TT rests on top of this surface and I can also do fine adjustments on the feet of the turntable as well.

Last edited:
IMHO Dont understimate the impact of your current table..being old wood and solid construction it may do far better than going for any other sensibly priced Rack .
What you can work on is some Isolation. depending on the TT anything from 4-5 Squash Balls to a solid Slate or Thick wooden base under the table can do wonders and should be a lot more cost effective !
of course you need to remove the other equipment from under it into another rack :)

I think its a great idea. That table is made of old generation solid teak wood (although its not that thick and heavy). Yes, I think I will retain it as a dedicated platform for my TT.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back