Shure M97XE

tek

Hey guys.

I am currently using an Orfofon 2M Red on a Technics SL-D2. I've been using it for bout 2 years now, and not had any complaints. But I think it might be a good idea to invest in another cart.

I am in the states at the moment and I found a sealed box pack Shure M97XE selling for $85 (appox Rs 4000). Is that a good deal? Should I pick it up and maybe put it on a diff headhshell and swap the carts whenever? Is it safe to do that or do you have to align it each time? If you think I should pick it up, let me know soon since i'm only here for another 2 days... i've heard good things about it..
Thanks!

its a pretty good cart and the price you're getting it for, is pretty good too. it usually retails for about $120. with regard to the performance, it is a relatively low output cart but quality is excellent (matches the NAD 1020A input perfectly)...sounds very warm and is ideally suited for listening to blues, western classical or pop...if you want punch with your music (required for listening to classic and modern rock), you'd probably want to go with the M44-7 (which is a domestic cart adapted for DJ work these days due to its robust tracking ability)

The M 97xE is s very good cart in its price band.

It will go well with your technics tonearm quite beautifully. However, I feel you should buy this from the India dealer. He sits in mumbai. One can easily procure it for about Rs. 4500 from there. Plus if there is any defect he will replace it. Just my two bits...

Hi
can u give the the location of a cart/stylus dealer in mumbai
Tks
wlg

i used to have the phone number on me... but now i don't. but JLS on this forum has the exact details. will get him to post it here.

Speak to Jerry 9820901941 of Electronic Emporium, off Lamington Road. They usually don't carry stock but can get it in a one-two days. I paid around 4.5K recently. They also have M44-7 cart and stylus.
Joshua

If you buy a separate headshell, and mount teh new cart on it, you would only need to align it once, and should not have issues with alignment when you swap headshells - of course, you would need to balance the headshell weight and tracking force each time you swap the headshells, though that should also not be too much of an ask once you know the needed values once.

I got a quote for m97xe as 5800 from the Delhi Shure dealer so ordered it from 20North where I got it for about 4.5K.

If you are getting it for this price in India, sure, that looks like the way to go.

Hi Tek,

Pick up the M97xe, it's a great deal, and the sound is very good.

Shure has a worldwide warranty, so if you do have any problems (unlikely), the Bombay dealer is obligated to replace it for you, provided, of course, that you retain the original receipt.

You can also later get the SAS stylus variant from Jico, which from all accounts, improves tracking and sound quality.

regards,

If you buy a separate headshell, and mount teh new cart on it, you would only need to align it once, and should not have issues with alignment when you swap headshells

Hi Manu,

Most cartridges have different body dimensions and cantilever/overhang positions that affect where the tip actually touches the record. Two different carts would most likely/certainly end up being aligned differently, two different points using a protractor, raising/lowering the tonearm and then force adjustment.

regards

Hi tek,
I recently bought the M97xe in Kolkata for Rs 4750. This is an excellent one for the price. However, one word of caution (as malvai already pointed out). Occasionally there are defects found in the current lot of this cartridge. My first one had problems with one of the channels and the dealer returned my money without even testing it. They told me they encountered the same problem before. They managed to get me a new and working one only after a few months. So, wherever you buy it from, please make sure you can return it after testing. I am not sure if this cartridge is available in India in abundance because the Kolkata dealer took such a long time in getting me another piece. For you the best solution would be if you can buy it there (because the price is slightly lower), but have the option of returning if it's a faulty one. Just remember that the online stores may not have the same returning policy for a cartridge. If you are getting it online, please make sure about the option of returning.

Regards.

Re: Shure M97XE vs. Audio Technica AT 440 MLa

Hi Guys,

Grateful for your advise on the following questions:

1. Which of the following two cartridges will be better for a Technics 1210 MK2: Shure Mx97e (Rs. 4400) or Audio Technica AT 440 MLa (Rs 7100) (Prices from 20 north; btw does any store in Delhi have some decent cartridges).

2. Please also let me know if these would be significantly better (?) than my current Ortofon OM-5E.

3. What are your views on getting an Ortofon Stylus 20 (US$ 129) or even Ortofon Stylus 30 (US$ 199) for my Ortofon OM series cartridge.

Many questions and thanks for all your help. Cheers

Viraj

Hi Guys,

Grateful for your advise on the following questions:

1. Which of the following two cartridges will be better for a Technics 1210 MK2: Shure Mx97e (Rs. 4400) or Audio Technica AT 440 MLa (Rs 7100) (Prices from 20 north; btw does any store in Delhi have some decent cartridges).

2. Please also let me know if these would be significantly better (?) than my current Ortofon OM-5E.

3. What are your views on getting an Ortofon Stylus 20 (US$ 129) or even Ortofon Stylus 30 (US$ 199) for my Ortofon OM series cartridge.

Many questions and thanks for all your help. Cheers

Viraj

In Delhi, Neeraj 9811089557 is the India dealer for Shure cartridges.

M97xE would be roughly equivalent to OM20. I heard that OM30 and OM40 are much better (and more costlier too). BTW, cartridge body of OM20, 30 and 40 are same and the only differentiator is the actual stylus which are different. I also have a cart body and been thinking hard whether to buy 20, 30 or 40:lol:
Joshua

Hi,
I had an year back ordered a M 97xe from ebay usa for 110$..after just 2 months, as a fellow member mentioned, left channel of the cartridge output was gone.Since I had misplaced the bill, couldn't get warranty from India...just lying idle with a new needle:sad:
Also had bought Ortofon OM 10 and 5, but I would say shure was better. The output was low compared to Ortofon.

Hi Manu,

Most cartridges have different body dimensions and cantilever/overhang positions that affect where the tip actually touches the record. Two different carts would most likely/certainly end up being aligned differently, two different points using a protractor, raising/lowering the tonearm and then force adjustment.

regards

I guess I don't understand what you meant stevieboy - if you have two head shells, and fix one cart on each, align each separately, then you should be able to swap the two without worrying about realignment. After all the tonearm remains the same, the overall dimensions will be the same and so will the alignment. The only things that changes will be the weight and tracking force.

M97xE would be roughly equivalent to OM20. I heard that OM30 and OM40 are much better (and more costlier too). BTW, cartridge body of OM20, 30 and 40 are same and the only differentiator is the actual stylus which are different. I also have a cart body and been thinking hard whether to buy 20, 30 or 40:lol:
Joshua

Hi Joshua,
I have used both OM20 and M97xe with my TT (Dual CS5000), and IMO the Shure M97xe belongs to a different class, much clearer, more dynamic, better separation, and better bass. I have never tried OM30 or 40 though. Yes. you are right they all have the same cartridge body, only the needle is different.

Viraj,
As apparent from above, if the choice is between the OM20 and the M97xe, I'd unhesitatingly go with the latter one, if both go with your tonearm. As far as I know (according to Ortofon website some time ago), Ortofon most probably has discontinued their OM line of cartridges, but a few online stores abroad are still selling the remaining stock. Where are you getting these from? In case you settle for the M97xe, please keep in mind the problem with this cartridge that I have mentioned in my previous post in this thread (also mentioned by srenjith).

Regards.

Thanks Asit.... Ortofon cartridges OM 20, 30 amd 40 (all from super series) are being sold on Phonograph needle,turntable belt,turntable needle,turntable stylus,phono cartridge,phonograph cartridge, earphones, headphones and audio equipment.

What do guys on this forum think of Audio Technica AT 440 MLa cartridge....the shape of its stylus tip is microlinear and it is supposed to ride real low into the vinyl grooves (LP Gear: audio-technica AT440MLa AT-440MLa phono cartridge). Would appreciate hearing from you guys about AT 440 MLa as well.

Cheers ... Viraj

Viraj,
As apparent from above, if the choice is between the OM20 and the M97xe, I'd unhesitatingly go with the latter one, if both go with your tonearm. As far as I know (according to Ortofon website some time ago), Ortofon most probably has discontinued their OM line of cartridges, but a few online stores abroad are still selling the remaining stock. Where are you getting these from? In case you settle for the M97xe, please keep in mind the problem with this cartridge that I have mentioned in my previous post in this thread (also mentioned by srenjith).

Regards.

I guess I don't understand what you meant stevieboy - if you have two head shells, and fix one cart on each, align each separately, then you should be able to swap the two without worrying about realignment. After all the tonearm remains the same, the overall dimensions will be the same and so will the alignment. The only things that changes will be the weight and tracking force.

Hi Manu,

While swapping cartridges of different makes mounted on diff head shells, if there is a variation in weight (will surely be), then we have to adjust the Tracking force and counterweight for the cartridge installed. This exercise will have to be done each time a diff cart is mounted. I think this is what Stevieboy mentions as realignment.

N.Murali

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back