slim 29" TV

gibikote

hi

Slim is in for CRTs as well... for a few thousand Rs. more than the regular non-slims. But is the technology as robust and comparable?

In the showroom, a 29" was definitely less sharper than a 21".
I am considering an 'upgrade' for the living room - mainly cable tv and dvd viewing, at ~ 12 ft distance.

The short-list depending on ones available and budget are:
Sanyo CM29FS2I ~ 16k
Samsung 29K44ME ~ 13.5k
Philips 29PT6807 ~ 14.5k
LG 29FA... ~ 12k

Has anyone seen these alongside and compared them w.r.t. picture clarity?
Unfortunately they were in different shops here and I couldnt even see the Philips.
The Sanyo seems to stand out in looks/elegance. Is it worth the premium?
It has better connectivity though...

All suggestions welcome.
Thanks. :)

Sridhar

When I was shopping for TVs long ago, Sony and Panasonic offered the best picture quality. Philips was close behind but I am skeptical of their build quality (but I am told it is okay now). Samsung/LG make decent plasma/lcd but I thought their crt displays were a bit lacking.

Anyway you should check for the following while buying:
1) Progressive scan (100hz) - better picture than usual, esp with DVD
2) At least one component input capability. 2 is better.
3) Get one without large speakers as you will be using AVR/etc for sound anyway.

Widescreen (16:9 aspect ratio) would have been a plus but such displays are nowhere to be found in India.

Of your list, Philips is probably the best but please do look at Sony, Panasonic also.

Thanks.

Panasonic does have 16:9 ratio in their Tau FX range but I think these will be a different price range.

The Progressive scan information is not there on the websites; Philips is the most informative and doesnt have it. Where do you suggest I look - maybe write to them directly? I know Samsung service calls back (but does not reply to emails) and LG sends a letter saying we will get back, but doesnt :)

The Sanyo and Philips have Composite Video & SVideo input.

regards,
SG

When I was shopping for TVs long ago, Sony and Panasonic offered the best picture quality. Philips was close behind but I am skeptical of their build quality (but I am told it is okay now). Samsung/LG make decent plasma/lcd but I thought their crt displays were a bit lacking.

Anyway you should check for the following while buying:
1) Progressive scan (100hz) - better picture than usual, esp with DVD
2) At least one component input capability. 2 is better.
3) Get one without large speakers as you will be using AVR/etc for sound anyway.

Widescreen (16:9 aspect ratio) would have been a plus but such displays are nowhere to be found in India.

Of your list, Philips is probably the best but please do look at Sony, Panasonic also.

May I ask which city you are in? In Mumbai, one would go to a large electronics chain like: Croma, Vijay Sales, Sumaria, etc. Best way to compare all the brands (as specs on paper do not help with this).

You can also check their websites:
Samsung: SAMSUNG India
Philips: Home - Royal Philips
Panasonic: Panasonic India
Sony: Sony India : Welcome
LG: LGe-Shoppe

By widescreen I meant that the physical dimensions of the display itself be of 16:9 aspect ratio as found in LCD, and not the correction mode as in the Panasonic Tau. But this is not important.

As far as connectivity goes: Component >= S-Video > Composite. You cannot avoid composite for tv set-top box but component is preferred for DVD (better compatibility with new devices too).

I would suggest you take a look at the compareindia.com web site: Compare India - Televisions

hi.

Im in Vellore, TN; with no large showroom having more than 3 brands. yes, it would be much easier in a large city - I would have to travel to Chennai/
Bangalore, and will consider it.

I have seen all these websites. Philips and Sony are most informative followed by Samsung. Compare india is very good and I got some of few products not on the company sites. But it does not have all models, and I am not sure how accurate the info is.

As of now its a tie between Sanyo, Philips and Sony SZ292M88 (non-slim)models. I havent yet seen the Sony, which I should, becuase its the generally preferred brand as far as picture clarity goes...

Is there anything against the slim CRT models? Cant get enough info of this technology on the net...

regards,

May I ask which city you are in? In Mumbai, one would go to a large electronics chain like: Croma, Vijay Sales, Sumaria, etc. Best way to compare all the brands (as specs on paper do not help with this).

You can also check their websites:
Samsung: SAMSUNG India
Philips: Home - Royal Philips
Panasonic: Panasonic India
Sony: Sony India : Welcome
LG: LGe-Shoppe

By widescreen I meant that the physical dimensions of the display itself be of 16:9 aspect ratio as found in LCD, and not the correction mode as in the Panasonic Tau. But this is not important.

As far as connectivity goes: Component >= S-Video > Composite. You cannot avoid composite for tv set-top box but component is preferred for DVD (better compatibility with new devices too).

I would suggest you take a look at the compareindia.com web site: Compare India - Televisions

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back