Sofa against back wall. Where to put surround speakers?

zhopudey

After years and years of lurking on forums, I’ve jumped head first into the HT scene. Got a QA set with 3030i, 3090ci and 3010i. Eagerly waiting for the x1700h which should arrive by month end. My living room is a L, with the longer sides being 20ft. My setup is in the end of one arm which is roughly 10’ x 10’. So I’m sitting about 10’ away from the TV, with the couch touching the back wall. How do I install the 3010i? They’ll either be on the rear wall on on stands, I’m thinking about a foot away from each side of the couch and maybe a foot or two above ear level. Should I turn them all the way in so that they point inward? Occassionally I could pull the sofa out by a foot, but that wouldn't be permanant.
Attaching a mock-up image to get a better idea.

Attachments

• ht02.JPG
    ht02.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 133
After years and years of lurking on forums, I’ve jumped head first into the HT scene. Got a QA set with 3030i, 3090ci and 3010i. Eagerly waiting for the x1700h which should arrive by month end. My living room is a L, with the longer sides being 20ft. My setup is in the end of one arm which is roughly 10’ x 10’. So I’m sitting about 10’ away from the TV, with the couch touching the back wall. How do I install the 3010i? They’ll either be on the rear wall on on stands, I’m thinking about a foot away from each side of the couch and maybe a foot or two above ear level. Should I turn them all the way in so that they point inward? Occassionally I could pull the sofa out by a foot, but that wouldn't be permanant.
Attaching a mock-up image to get a better idea.

You could look for rear wall mounted dipoles too. When space is important I find it to be quiet decent , although bookshelf's placed on stands did sound better directionality wise to me but the tradeoff was not a lot.

You could look for rear wall mounted dipoles too. When space is important I find it to be quiet decent , although bookshelf's placed on stands did sound better directionality wise to me but the tradeoff was not a lot.
Dipole do not sound perfect on rear walls if placed too high. I have tried it and couldn't get proper surround effect. Bookshelf's on side wall just above 2-3ft of sitting position will sound better. Heard that way @ FM house and sounds better.

They’ll either be on the rear wall on on stands, I’m thinking about a foot away from each side of the couch and maybe a foot or two above ear level. Should I turn them all the way in so that they point inward?

Do the latter, but since your seating isn't high back leave the tweeters at ear level and point each of the surrounds towards the respectively opposite far end of the seating.

Dipole do not sound perfect on rear walls if placed too high. I have tried it and couldn't get proper surround effect. Bookshelf's on side wall just above 2-3ft of sitting position will sound better. Heard that way @ FM house and sounds better.
Agree, said the same thing that bookshelfs on side do sound better in previous post. Dipoles can do a good job with not such a huge tradeoff particular when space is an issue. Based on the image the right side rear bookshelf might be a hindrance in the normal walkway , hence suggestion to evaluate dipoles too.

All the speaker stands I'm finding for 3010i seem either too cheap and flimsy, or too expensive. Now I am thinking out of the box. Found this -

Seems great except it's too tall.

edit: It's ikea! I think I can reduce one shelf to reduce the height.

edit2: ohh it's plastic. sigh...

Last edited:
All the speaker stands I'm finding for 3010i seem either too cheap and flimsy, or too expensive. Now I am thinking out of the box. Found this -

Seems great except it's too tall.

edit: It's ikea! I think I can reduce one shelf to reduce the height.

edit2: ohh it's plastic. sigh...
Are you looking for stands? or wall mount also work for you?

My home theater is ready!

photo_2022-08-15_10-25-08.jpg
photo_2022-08-13_21-54-45.jpg
photo_2022-08-14_17-06-21.jpg

Big thanks to @blackscorpio for the side speakers mounts. They are just superb.

Denon x1700h
Q Acoustics 3030i, 3090ci, 3010i
JBL LSR310s subwoofer
DIY granite stands for the fronts, Pinpoint AM40 mounts for the rears.

The sound is amazing. I am still playing around with placement and audyssey and various options in the avr.

hi, you can use the wall brackets from Q.Acoustic brand itself. Your QA speakers come with a bottom screw and can be mounted easily on

Q Acoustics 3000WB Wall Bracket.​

I personally use them. follow the link and order them.

hi, you can use the wall brackets from Q.Acoustic brand itself. Your QA speakers come with a bottom screw and can be mounted easily on

Q Acoustics 3000WB Wall Bracket.​

I personally use them. follow the link and order them.
I checked. Those can swivel only 30deg.

View attachment 71237
View attachment 71238
View attachment 71239

Denon x1700h
JBL LSR310s subwoofer

The sound is amazing. I am still playing around with placement and audyssey and various options in the avr.

A neat setup. Congrats.

But be careful if you've kids. Those standmounts can inspire the kids to "cross check" whether dad set them properly. And when they do, floor isn't the first thing to break. :confused:

May the force be with you.

View attachment 71237
View attachment 71238
View attachment 71239

Denon x1700h
JBL LSR310s subwoofer

Can you tell me details about the side speaker mounts?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back