Sony Bravia HX850 Reviews

Good point.. I will keep this in mind.
Good for u..but I won't risk taking it to home on my own..if some thing occurs during transportation dealer gonna blame u..as per my delivery is concerned dealer delivered it to my place and sony technician checked if there was any scratch on the screen..after confirming that the screen is clean he installed it.

From the flatpanel HD review posted in the OP.

HX850 still struggles with some reflections from windows and lamps. It might prove to be a problem during daytime depending on your living room layout and windows.

Color gradation is fairly good but not fantastic. We noticed some problems in the dark and semi-dark areas and even though Sony has managed to improve the dark tone reproduction in the last few years, Sony still has some running to do before they catch up with the best plasma TVs available today. Color performance is by no means bad and on par with the typical LED model today but we still hope to see further improvements in this area in the future. To put Sony HX850 in context it is on par with Panasonic DT50 but below Samsung ES8000

Sony utilizes a backlight scanning backlight system like almost every other manufacturer nowadays and it helps to improve motion reproduction by reducing motion blur in movies and games. Some motion-blurring still occurs on HX850, and detailing is reduced in fast-paced action scenes but the issues are not critical in any way. We did notice one problem, though. HX850 revealed mild overdrive trailing (halos around moving objects); not enough to affect everyday use but it was visible a few times during action-paced first person shooter games, which is a shame.

Input lag was measured to 28-32 ms in the game mode, which is quite good for a LCD-TV. Plasma TVs are still faster and should be the preferred choice for gaming.

After calibration we measured black depth to 0.06 cd/m2, which is fairly good compared to the typical edge LED based TV, and only slightly higher than Samsungs ES8000. However, Sony has not improved black level reproduction dramatically in the past few years.

Shadow detailing is fair after calibration. Before calibration Sony HX850 crushed most details in the dark areas of movie scenes but after calibration only the 2-3 grey tones closest to black were hard to distinguish. This is very common on LCD-TVs.

3D picture quality has not changed much, however. Some crosstalk still occurs and even though Sony took a huge leap in 2011 compared to 2010, we still want more. If you seek a crosstalk-free experience you have to wait for a faster display technology to become mainstream, it seems. Plasma TVs still beat LCD/LED models when it comes to 3D picture quality but even plasma TVs are not crosstalk-free. 3D picture quality is fair for casual use and movie watching but during gaming, we still noticed crosstalk at times.

To put it in context, HX850 is on par with most other LCD-TVs in this price range. 3D picture quality is fair but not great.

The black color also looks more greyish from an angle.

source : Sony HX850 (HX853) review - FlatpanelsHD

I am still unable to understand in what way is this tv worth the money it is demanding.

Last edited:
Hi bro check other reviews also. I have read all the reviews and they are mostly positive. I am trying to get it from outside and it will cost me around 70k. I am also waiting for the price of ST50. My viewing distance is not much so i dont want more than 40-42inch. I was thinking of 46inch but that will be also too much.
From the flatpanel HD review posted in the OP.

source : Sony HX850 (HX853) review - FlatpanelsHD

I am still unable to understand in what way is this tv worth the money it is demanding.

Never under estimate the benefit of a bigger TV, i view my 50" plasma from a distance of approx 7 feet, now after 2 years it looks small for me and i am thinking of getting a 64" plasma.i will pick 50" ST50 over 46" HX850 any day.

I see you have the EX400, there used to be a EX400 at my sister's room now it got replaced by an EX720, trust me if you switch to ST50 the difference in picture quality will be night and day.

Hi i know that bigger is always better thats why i am upgrading from 32 to 40inch but right now as per my budget i can either go for HX850 or ST50 in 40/42inch. My budget is not more than 70k and HX850/ST50 will go to my parents room once i shift to a bigger room. When i shift i will buy 46 or 50 that time. My initial budget was 50k but i wanted 3d also so i extended it. I am getting Sony Ex650 46inch for 65k & HX750 46inch for 75k from grey market. My viewing distance is 5 feet. ST50 will be not less than 95k in 50inch and i cant spend that much right now. I am not interested in Panasonic XT50 & UT50 and Sony EX650 & HX750. I appreciate your advise and i will keep this in mind before buying. I have narrowed down my option to Panasonic ST50 & Sony HX850 in 40/42inch.
Never under estimate the benefit of a bigger TV, i view my 50" plasma from a distance of approx 7 feet, now after 2 years it looks small for me and i am thinking of getting a 64" plasma.i will pick 50" ST50 over 46" HX850 any day.

I see you have the EX400, there used to be a EX400 at my sister's room now it got replaced by an EX720, trust me if you switch to ST50 the difference in picture quality will be night and day.

I am planning for 46HX850. Price is 115000.I am opting for PS3 bundle for 20000 and dealer offered me one 3D glass for kids free.(total no of glasses will be 5).Total cost will be 135000.

Nice.. When you buying it? when you do we want some pictures of it :D
I am planning for 46HX850. Price is 115000.I am opting for PS3 bundle for 20000 and dealer offered me one 3D glass for kids free.(total no of glasses will be 5).Total cost will be 135000.

Sony HX850 over HX750.

If you are considering Samsung then 46D6600 is an excellent choice. Will be cheaper than Sony with similar picture quality though Sony HX850 has advantage in dynamic range.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Hi Samsung D6600 model is not available in grey market and it will be expensive with bill. My viewing distance is 5 feet. Both Sony models will cost me around 70k.
Sony HX850 over HX750.

If you are considering Samsung then 46D6600 is an excellent choice. Will be cheaper than Sony with similar picture quality though Sony HX850 has advantage in dynamic range.

It is important to maintain a distance such that your position of seating should extend 30 degree angle with your tv width. Now for 5 ft the optimum tv width is 816mm which is close to 37" tv. I guess 40 inch is the tv u should go with. Do a simple calculation to derive the distance u need to seat if u buy a 46 inch..if u can seat that far then go with higher size.

Thank you for your advise. The maximum viewing distance can be 7-8 feet. But i am confused whether i should buy a better tv or a bigger screen.I will check the exact viewing distance today at night.
It is important to maintain a distance such that your position of seating should extend 30 degree angle with your tv width. Now for 5 ft the optimum tv width is 816mm which is close to 37" tv. I guess 40 inch is the tv u should go with. Do a simple calculation to derive the distance u need to seat if u buy a 46 inch..if u can seat that far then go with higher size.

Why don't you go out for a demo? It will clear much of your confusion. Change the mode to cinema/movie and switch off all processing like dynamic/enhancer/plus etc. Play some frequently watched DVDs, direct connected DTH channels. Move to a wide angle to see if blacks become light/murky greyish and colors take sepia effect. Try the same with Standard setting as it is mode suited to bright rooms.

Do a demo. It's fun and you'll be more satisfied buying a product based your liking.

I would not buy HX750 but it is your call.

Bro i am sure about HX850 but bigger screen size is tempting me to buy HX750. I have decided that i will buy HX850 40inch as it is enough for my current room and when i shift to a bigger room i will buy a bigger tv like HX850 46inch or Panasonic ST50 50inch. I am also waiting for the exact price of Panasonic ST50 42inch. The dealer told me it will be around 85k-90k and that puts it out of my budget.
confused about better tv...are u not sure about hx850?

Last edited:
Hi thank you for your advise. I have decided on HX850 40inch. Panasonic ST50 42inch is out of my budget as it is around 85-90k. I think HX850 has its strength and it is as good as Panasonic ST50 if not better. I will buy a bigger tv when i shift to a bigger room like Sony HX850 46inch or Panasonic ST50 50inch. I have done enough of demo of HX850 as Sony world is opposite my gym so now its time to bring it home :D
Why don't you go out for a demo? It will clear much of your confusion. Change the mode to cinema/movie and switch off all processing like dynamic/enhancer/plus etc. Play some frequently watched DVDs, direct connected DTH channels. Move to a wide angle to see if blacks become light/murky greyish and colors take sepia effect. Try the same with Standard setting as it is mode suited to bright rooms.

Do a demo. It's fun and you'll be more satisfied buying a product based your liking.

I would not buy HX750 but it is your call.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back