Spotify free vs Premium vs Gaana free vs paid streamed vs downloaded vs Tidal

My main source of music is streaming. I started with free version of Spotify initially. I play using Spotify Connect in my Denon x4500H. I upgraded to Spotify premium a couple of months ago in a hope that I will get a huge quality improvement. But to my disappointment its not the case. I have a more than 40Mbps internet connection quite stable and good and the settings in Spotify is "Very High" for streaming.

Even some tracks on you tube, play much richer and dynamic than Spotify. Last week I opted for Gaana+ subscription as well. Again not much different from the free version of Gaana.

Just before writing this post, I played song on my laptop connected to AVR via hdmi, I played following version. MP3 , Ganna+ and Spotify. I couldn't make any difference between mp3 and Gaana/Spotify. Its very unlikely that my mp3 file is of superb quality.

Another test I did is with flac file whihc scores over anything.

My conclusion is not all the paid content is of high quality. May be only 20-30% content is HD or higher rest everything is compressed or as good as mp3 only.

Lets see who agrees with me.
Spotify has “audio normalisation” enabled by default. Please check and disable it and see if the tracks sound more dynamic

Hi Sandeep

I guess you are referring to volume normalization? Of yes then that's already set to off.
Alright. FM Sachin mentioned that he found spotify connect on his CXN streamer to be the best sounding option. In my case, CD player supports iPhone docking, so I play using that, so my observations will differ

Alright. FM Sachin mentioned that he found spotify connect on his CXN streamer to be the best sounding option. In my case, CD player supports iPhone docking, so I play using that, so my observations will differ
I even played Spotify app on my laptop and connected to avr via HDMI. I had a doubt whether Spotify connect plays at high quality or not. But that was not the case. Same result be it through HDMI or Spotify Connect.

Yes. All these services help in discovering new music, casual listening and also helps many to experience a large catalog at a low cost of entry.
Another thing to add, Spotify is most convenient to use. You can control the current playback from any of the device with same Spotify account logged in. But Spotify is low on Indian collection.

Gaana is rich on collection bot Hindi and English, but Gaana app doesn't work on Windows 10 at least for me. So only option is to use 3.5mm jack from phone or Bluetooth which is not ideal.

Another thing to add, Spotify is most convenient to use. You can control the current playback from any of the device with same Spotify account logged in. But Spotify is low on Indian collection.

Gaana is rich on collection bot Hindi and English, but Gaana app doesn't work on Windows 10 at least for me. So only option is to use 3.5mm jack from phone or Bluetooth which is not ideal.
Yes. Spotify i use for international music. Gaana should sound better if you can manage to find a chromecast audio dongle. It has digital out to connect to your DAC. On the web there’s a 128kbps limit to the Gaana stream

I am a Tidal, Gaana paid, Apple and Spotify premium user. I am a Headphone user and my setup is Laptop to Burson Swing DAC to an Aune B1 headphone class A amp. Headphones are Hifiman HE4xx, Sennheiser HD58X, HD6xx and the AKG K712.

Tidal lossless is in a league of its own. I also have a iFi audio Nano BL MQA renderer and the sound is just pristine and out of this world and as good as local FLACs played out of Foobar. If anyone wants to use an MQA renderer without spending money on dedicated hardware, get the Uapp USB player for your Android. It does a great job with first level MQA unfolding and will usually sound better than the Tidal app for phones.

Apple and Spotify premium are quite close in SQ with a slight nod to Spotify premium. I took an Apple music subscription as I was told that Apple has great Hindi collection. Yea its much better than Spotify but am not sure if Gaana + is any way lesser. I use these low res streaming services mostly out of a DAC AMP out of my phone.

Gaana + is surprisingly good for Hindi however as most of you are aware that a lot of masters of Bollywood music of the 90s has been permanently lost, getting good quality steaming for this music is difficult. But newer stuff sounds quite good. So its my, to-go service, for music straight out of the phone jack when I am travelling and in mood for some latest Indian masala music.

Last edited:

Yes, it's desktop app used to work well on Win 10 with occasional "content not available" glitch when clicked on any track or album. I deleted the app on my PC as the issue became quite consistent recently. I just remembered that I'd written to their team a couple of weeks ago and have no response from them in my inbox!

So, in short, looks like they have totally ended support for desktop app or might scrap it soon considering the app still exists on Win Store. Since I've another 6 months "+" subscription left, currently have just bookmarked it's website & accessing it.

Yes, it's desktop app used to work well on Win 10 with occasional "content not available" glitch when clicked on any track or album. I deleted the app on my PC as the issue became quite consistent recently. I just remembered that I'd written to their team a couple of weeks ago and have no response from them in my inbox!

So, in short, looks like they have totally ended support for desktop app or might scrap it soon considering the app still exists on Win Store. Since I've another 6 months "+" subscription left, currently have just bookmarked it's website & accessing it.
Thats sad. I have exactly the same experience. Like Sandeep mentioned above, the web version doesn't support more than 128kbps. In that case at least I am left with playing on phone and connect to my AVR via Bluetooth to get the full benefit of paid version if it is any good at all. :(

Like Sandeep mentioned above, the web version doesn't support more than 128kbps.

Web provides you the option to choose HD as the quality & as it claims it should stream b/w 256 & 320 kbps.

I just listened to "Beat It " (25th anniv. Edn) on my PC through AQ DAC & I could sense the difference between the High & HD.

I have been using Spotify free for more than a week now. I am happy with it. I was going to buy - but I have seen people be extremely excited with its pair format. I also trie 320kbps and Spotify - bare could notice the difference.

Amazon music playing at highest quality is similar - no discernible difference. Guess I'll keep the free Spotify. Oh yes - paid Wynk is crap, I am having it and not going to use it.

I also like Spotify Free, their daily mix and recommendations are great.
Want to upgrade to premium, but they have no family plan. Unlike free, the premium can play on only one device concurrently on one device, unless I missed something.

Web provides you the option to choose HD as the quality & as it claims it should stream b/w 256 & 320 kbps.

I just listened to "Beat It " (25th anniv. Edn) on my PC through AQ DAC & I could sense the difference between the High & HD.
This is from their mail. Only downloads are at 320kbps

I dont know if somebody noticed this. I use laptop for streaming with spotify app. I have installed the spotify app on my phone too. Once I start the System and play songs through laptop, after that I can control it by phone, i can change the songs in my phone and it works like a wireless device.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back