Suggest High end home theater ~ 15 lakhs?

siddhartha.saive

Hey guys. This is Dr Siddharth from hyd. I'm looking to buy the full setup for a dedicated home theater room for a new house. The room is 22' X 14'. I need to finalise it this week.

I currently own a 7.1 setup which I got about 8 years ago. Onkyo a/v receiver TX SR875? with Polkaudio speakers ( RTi A9 towers) and subwoofer with a ps3 as the media player. I took a lot of time to find this setup in my budget back then.. but now I'm crunched for time and can't take demos or spend all day reading about all the brands available like I did back then :lol:

Can you guys suggest me good quality stuff which is worth the money? Budget is about 15 lakh. Give or take.
1. 4K projector
2. A/V receiver
3. Speaker system

This will be for movies, music and gaming. Good bass is a priority.
thank you :)

Hi Doc, You have a good budget. You may visit profx who deal with denon and yamaha. They would be able to help you with a complete solution. Since they have decent demo rooms, you should be able to finalize after audition. With regard to 4k projector, not sure if they have been released yet.

With a budget of Rs 15 lakhs, you can look at more high end systems. Forget the basic kind of pro fx kind of set up (Even though I bought my system through them in Bangalore!).

Wait a bit. You can look at a pre pro/mono block per channel set up/with reference speakers/4K UHD blu ray player/4K projector from JVC and a top notch HTPC integrated into your system.

Please find time as 15 lakhs is a lot of money. I would recommend you do all the accoustics/wiring and extra cabling before hand and select and buy your system at leisure and until then enjoy your present system.

I hope my suggestions are relevant.

Last edited:
Hi Doc, 15 L is just for equipment or are you also looking for Acoustics treatment in your dedicate HT. Might want to visit Awicon as well. They have a set up of B&W that might fit your budget.

If you need a 4K projector, right now only Sony has those. Look those up. As for audio, for this size room, you will be better off going with Atmos/DTSX capable system with 11 speakers.

You specify about good bass output. Subwoofer and proper speaker placement is paramount for getting proper response in any room. In fact, the room decides what kind of response you will get. You may buy expensive equipment but wrong placement and seating locations will not get you what you desire. So plan and deliberate on the layout before jumping to purchase.

I currently own a 7.1 setup which I got about 8 years ago. Onkyo a/v receiver TX SR875? with Polkaudio speakers ( RTi A9 towers) and subwoofer with a ps3 as the media player.

Could you share the speaker & subwoofer models you have?

Can you guys suggest me good quality stuff which is worth the money? Budget is about 15 lakh. Give or take.

2. A/V receiver
3. Speaker system

This will be for movies, music and gaming. Good bass is a priority.
thank you :)

Since you have good budget, you can look for a top of the model 9/11.x AVR with 2/4 identical subs..

I was using M K Sound speakers with Denon AVR and SVS subwoofer. Sound reproduction was reference quality. I would suggest this combination.

(1) TOTL AVR from Denon/Onkyo/Marantz. Or Lexicon Preprocessor+Power amp if budget permits.
(2) M K Sound speakers for all channels.
(3) SVS subwoofer.
(4) Canare cabling throughout.
(5) 4K projector from Epson.
(6) Dalite motorized screen
(7) Oppo TOTL Bluray player

With all this, you may slightly overrun your budget but what you will have will be a completely up to date reference class theater.

Thank you for the replies guys.
I did manage to find some time to take demos at a few stores.
Will be going for a 9.2 system

1. Projector. Thinking to get 4K JVC projector
2. AVR Denon X4300. Or is marantz better? Need something that can support 9.2 channel with 4k
3. Speakers. I really loved Genelec speakers and subwoofers but the price quoted was double my budget.
As of now got 2 options for the speakers that i liked.. Kef R700 and Polkaudio LSIM 707
Kef has great clarity and power but somewhat lacking in bass and minor tweeter details compared to polk.
Thinking if i should pair the speakers i choose with 2 X genelec 7070A subwoofers.
Will demo them again.

Will look for more options if you can suggest

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I was using M K Sound speakers with Denon AVR and SVS subwoofer. Sound reproduction was reference quality. I would suggest this combination.

(1) TOTL AVR from Denon/Onkyo/Marantz. Or Lexicon Preprocessor+Power amp if budget permits.
(2) M K Sound speakers for all channels.
(3) SVS subwoofer.
(4) Canare cabling throughout.
(5) 4K projector from Epson.
(6) Dalite motorized screen
(7) Oppo TOTL Bluray player

With all this, you may slightly overrun your budget but what you will have will be a completely up to date reference class theater.
Thank you for the detailed reply.

Sadly MK isn't available here in hyderabad to see a demo.
Is it worth a trip to chennai for a demo

Thanks for the replies guys. Managed to find time to take a few demos.

Will be going for a 9.2 dolby atmos system. 22 x 14' room. Is a 11.2 system necessary for this size?

1. Projector. Thinking to get JVC 4K projector
2. AVR. Denon X4300 ? Looking for a 9.2 dolby atmos capable avr. Is Marantz better?
3. Speakers.
Really loved Genelec speakers and subwoofers but the price quoted was double my budget.
The overall quality and especially the bass was amazing.
As of now i got 2 options for the speakers. Kef R700 and Polkaudio LSIM 707. Liked both but felt the polk had better bass and tweeter details.
Thinking if i should pair the speakers i choose with 2 X genelec 7070A subwoofers.

Will look for more options if you guys can suggest

So i demoed more brands.. B&W 983 and CM9, Focal Aria 926, Monitor audio silver 8, MK 950 and 300. Also demoed Kef R700 and Polkaudio 707 again.

I got my new favourites now.
Focal aria 926 vs MK Sound 150

Focal aria 926 was amazing. Great overall.. very good detail and bass response and imaging. Loved how they sounded. Liked them better than MK especially for 2.1 Stereo for music.
The MK was exceptional too. Liked both the 950 and 300 that i listened to. Highly detailed and great sound imaging like the online reviews say. But I'm not sure i want my speakers hidden and wasn't really satisfied with the bass. Will take a demo again to decide.

Have another option left to demo. Golden ear Triton 2. How good are they?

Any opinions on Focal 926 vs MK 150 vs Triton 2 ?

I'm thinking if i should go for the Anthem AVR to power my 7.2.4 system. Will it be worth it and better than Marantz 701?

Also i don't want to compromise on the bass. Might get two SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofers.. these subs have amazing reviews online. I really want the gut wrenching or heart thumping bass feel.. and good quality bass ofc

So i demoed more brands.. B&W 983 and CM9, Focal Aria 926, Monitor audio silver 8, MK 950 and 300. Also demoed Kef R700 and Polkaudio 707 again.

I got my new favourites now.
Focal aria 926 vs MK Sound 150

Focal aria 926 was amazing. Great overall.. very good detail and bass response and imaging. Loved how they sounded. Liked them better than MK especially for 2.1 Stereo for music.
The MK was exceptional too. Liked both the 950 and 300 that i listened to. Highly detailed and great sound imaging like the online reviews say. But I'm not sure i want my speakers hidden and wasn't really satisfied with the bass. Will take a demo again to decide.

Have another option left to demo. Golden ear Triton 2. How good are they?

Any opinions on Focal 926 vs MK 150 vs Triton 2 ?

I'm thinking if i should go for the Anthem AVR to power my 7.2.4 system. Will it be worth it and better than Marantz 701?

Also i don't want to compromise on the bass. Might get two SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofers.. these subs have amazing reviews online. I really want the gut wrenching or heart thumping bass feel.. and good quality bass ofc
Where did you audition Focal and MK in Hyderabad? If you could give respective price quotes it'll be helpful for everyone.

By the way, the whole Luxury amenities market has been paralyzed due to Demonetization, even the tone of hifi audio dealers in Hyderabad has changed to a more customer friendly level. Those who wouldn't be ready for Demos, are coming forward for arranging the same. Seems like it is a good time to audition and buy.

One thing to remember is that speakers designed to THX specs (MK 150) may not sound great for music. I haven't heard the MK 150 myself but going by reviews, it seems it isn't easy for any of these others speakers to beat the MK in movie configuration. If i were you, it would take a hell lot to make me overlook the MK

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back