Suggestions :: CA Azur 351a, Marantz PM 5005 or 6005 ?

slash1814

Hi Folks,

Okay...so the hunt for a stereo amp. has started. So far I have targeted these 3 amps. below: suggestions are welcome..speakers are Polk RTi A1. (room 18 X 12 X 12 ft.)
  1. CA Azur 351A
  2. Marantz PM 5005
  3. Marantz PM 6005
Auditioned 'CA azur 351a' with Dali floor-standers (don't remember the model#), The impressions : top end was decent, and not bright for my taste (as, i read often), detailed mid-range and an okay bottom end.

Now..HT store Blr. does not keep Marantz for audition any more (they have CA ;))
Pointers to audition Marantz pm5005 & 6005 would be helpful.

P.S. I assume I dont need a CD player w/ PM6005 as it has a built in 'Cyrus Logic' DAC. So a samsung DVD player w/ coaxial / optical will do ?? Your suggestions please..

Marantz has a more balanced sound signature than Cambridge Audio, it is more suitable for playing a wider genre of music.
Although CA matches beautifully with the Dalis. For Polk I would suggest Marantz. Get the 6005 rather than 5005, the little extra power will help if you change to bigger speakers someday.

You are right about the the Samsung DVD's optical out -> Marantz digital in.

Is it likely that, Marantz, by introducing DAC in 6005, may have compromised with the performance in any way. I read somewhere that "DAC circuitry affects output stage sound quality in a negative way".
Secondly, i heard that marantz though sonically accurate may not be as detailed as CA..how true is that? infact one of the dealers was telling me the same. Considering my taste of airy top end..not sure if Marantz will cater to my taste, unless I have an audition.

CA has a brighter top end compared to Marantz so it may give the appearance of more detail. But this is also sometimes prone to ear fatigue. Speaker matching and synergy is crucial here. I had a Marantz 6002 amp and found the sound more balanced and musical than CA amps. If your budget permits go for 6005. Ultimately it's what your ears like. You have to audition.

Is it likely that, Marantz, by introducing DAC in 6005, may have compromised with the performance in any way. I read somewhere that "DAC circuitry affects output stage sound quality in a negative way".
Secondly, i heard that marantz though sonically accurate may not be as detailed as CA..how true is that? infact one of the dealers was telling me the same. Considering my taste of airy top end..not sure if Marantz will cater to my taste, unless I have an audition.

Since you like 'airy top end', I would request you to look at Yamaha AS500. AS500+Polk combo really gives airy top end. I auditioned POLK RTi A5 and TSx440T with AS500 at Profx Kolkata, I am sure, you'll like the combo

Don't quite follow what you mean by that. Any CD player which has an analog out (RCA) will have a DAC inbuilt. That covers most players available. There are very few "transport only" players. These will only have digital out and will need a separate DAC. These are mostly in the high end region.

I have not had experience with the 6005 myself (have heard the 6004 enough) so can not say whether the inclusion of the DAC affects the output, it should not though. In one of the threads here I did read that the DAC is completely separate from the rest of the amp.

There should be enough places in Bangalore for you to listen to a Marantz. Listen for yourself and decide.

Again I often read about AS-500, that it has a weak bottom end, though top end is airy.
Overall it sounds clinical. Looks like I have to audition this entire fleet of Amps.

It was Dali Zensor 7 :)

All in the sig.

Because that's stayed that way for about a year now (a WD TV used to live there in line 3 before)

I've read preferences for a burr brown or some other DAC vs the Cirrus Logic. And I've read that they do not sound any different. I've read that spec wise they are comparable. And that DAC mfrs do not fudge too much because they might get called out quite easily. Or that the CS4398 inhabits cheaper equipment, generally and is not as good as a Wolfson. Ah, yes I read too much. I've not had an opportunity to compare in my setup at home vs anything other than a Fii0

For sure if you want HDMI or USB inputs or multiple optical inputs look elsewhere. For the rest, but I am not complaining about what I hear. But like I've said before maybe I am just not picky enough.

Do audition for yourself. (But ofc it *will* sound different in your room. Because http://amroc.andymel.eu/, and I have a (somewhat tamed) tube for a listening/ living room too)

gr

Last edited:
@Sound_Cycle: Is 6005 able to drive your floor-standers with ease? Re-assure me :)

No issues.

I rarely (if ever) get beyond 9 on the dial. That is plenty. And my neighbors don't think so.

I think you will have your speakers firing across the room and be fairly close ie about 10 feet away from them, 45 W is plenty loud for that

Curious: Why do you think it won't (drive fs), or in what situations do you think you would need more, what do you listen to ?

ciao
gr

PS: http://eaw.com/docs/6_Technical_Information/StudyHall_and_TechNotes/Amplifier_Power.pdf

Curious: Why do you think it won't (drive fs), or in what situations do you think you would need more, what do you listen to ?
[/url]

he he..just becoz I read on this forum, Someone thought 6004 was not driving his FS efficiently...actually there are a few posts..here or on other forums..where people had apprehensions regarding (5004 & 6004) 35 / 45 wattages.

BTW..any significant difference between the AMP section of Marantz-PM-5005 and PM-6005 ? except DAC. I mean if 6005 has better amp stages..etc.
I'll have a demo however, still , if anyone has more info on this?

Now that I have zeroed down PM-6005, hunt for CD player started..However I decided to go for CD-5005, then thaught..who knows CD may be extinct like dodo in 4-5 yrs. Therefore thaught about CD-6005 (it has a front USB slot) went through lot of reviews and concluded that it may be a tad bright CD player..(also I have polk RTi A1).

Now thinking if I should go with CD-351 C / CD-5005 / CD-6005.

USB is secondary, I can not bear harsh top end. Pls suggest..as demo may not be possible.

6005 is a good choice.
Will your source of music be mainly CDs or do you also have downloaded content, Flac / mp3 and so on? If so I think getting a DAC is a smarter option than a CD player. Even with CDs just use any DVD player's optical out to the DAC.

CDs as well as downloaded content..both. I'll have to shell out 12-13K more for CD-6005 as compared to CD-5005,..just for usb and enhanced circuitry (as they say).
CD-6005 is 1.6 Kg heavier than 5005.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back