Suggestions for a home theater under 1.5 lac

peeyushag

Hi all,

I'm looking for a home theater system (TV included), 5.1 speakers that can handle most codecs including mkv, divx, avi and the other HD(Planet Earth, etc) formats. Music will contain concerts/flac/mp3. Also, can I connect my laptop/external HDD and still get the theater system with the 5.1 and all the jazz to work? If it's capable of connecting to the internet (Just thought that one up) so that I can play videos straight off the net it would be an added bonus (with youtube offering HDTV quality, maybe for music videos and all). I know this makes me sound like a total goof but I would appreciate the advice.

Music:Movies- 50:50
Rock, Metal, Instrumental.

Room dimensions- 12*17. (12 is distance to TV)
Budget- 1.5 lacs

Looking forward to your suggestions while I go through review sites.

Thanks,
Peeyush

Last edited:
Hi,

If you could give actual room size it may help the HFV members to guide you better, you mentioned " Room dimensions- 12*17. (12 is distance to TV)" so if 12 feet is the distance from TV what is the total length of the room?

Also how much money do you intend to use on TV / Screen ? because if you can decide on rough amt you wish to spend on Screen ( which will again depend on size, make, and technology i.e LCD/LED etc) people here can guide you better :)

Am sure once you give above info there will be suggestions for a dozens of good brands which you can start auditioning to decide what suits you best.

Good luck buddy !!

Last edited:
Hi Naren,

The room is actually 12 feet wide and 25 feet long. It's divided into two parts although there isn't a physical partition, just a 3.5 feet high rack separating the two parts. The section on the right has a dining table (12*8) while the left has the hall (12*17).

I haven't decided on the TV yet but I guess I'll spend around 50-60k on it, leaving 90k odd for the home theater system. I'm open to suggestions on the distribution. I haven't decided on LCD or LED yet, preferably LED but then it's more expensive so I'd prefer one with better picture quality at the price- Size: 42 inches. Any opinions on Plasma TVs? I'd appreciate advise on the TV as well as this will help me in making my decision.

I googled around, LG 42LD650/Samsung LN40C650 is something I'll check out. Price ~70K.

Thanks for the quick reply.

-Peeyush

Last edited:
Hi Peeyush,
You can go for the Full HD Plasma TVs. That's around 70ks for 50". You can check the various threads of Plasma TV in hifivision for the best vfm Plasma. That should leave another 80ks. 10ks for a media player (like WD TV hub/Live, AC Ryan or Xtreamer). So, for 70ks you can have say an Onkyo 608/508 AVR, or a Denon 1611/1311. Please demo each product, see what you like the best. Onkyo is available at 'Promises' near Kalamandir. Denon is available at ProFX near gariahat. That should leave another 35ks/45ks odd for speakers. There are plenty of options in this category. Look around the forum, and more importantly, audition as many combination as possible. Do bargain with prices, don't tell them your exact budget. I'm sure you'll gave a great setup soon. :)
Cheers!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back